February 2013 Moms
Options

What I'll you do differently with your next one?

Knowing what you know now, what will you do differently? I think I might try having my next LO sleep on his/her side instead of flat on the back to help prevent reflux, flat head etc. Of course I will pace rice socks to prevent them from rolling onto their bellies. My friend did this with all her kiddos and they slept like angels from day one. Of course, each kid is different, and while dd didn't tolerate sleeping on her back very well, the next one might. Anyone else?
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: What I'll you do differently with your next one?

• Options
    I always seem to have a list but end up doing the same things. I swore this time I would have a schedule and stick too it but it's been almost none months and I haven't managed it yet!

All of the big things ended up being noon issues because my kids are complete opposites.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    Probably get into less fights with my mom. The other day she called me the mom nazi. Thankfully my dad was there and he called my mom the hitler glamma. I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but it sure broke the ice in the moment. Looking back, it was funny but she and I sure butt heads over silly small things.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh, and by the way "Glamma" is my mom's name for Gramma. Because she's glam-orous.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Have way less junk! I blew so much money on stuff we didn't need. She got bored with the $200 baby swing after the first use, we never even opened the baby bath tub and why the heck do I have three strollers?! 
  • Options
    Ditto on getting too much stuff. I told Dh that even if our next happens to be a boy, he will still use his sister's very pink pack n play. It was expensive and no way will I fork out more money just so he can have a blue one.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I won't second guess my decisions on how to raise my kids and won't be reluctant in letting people who are watching them know what I want and don't want for them. I'm finally starting to be comfortable in my decisions as a mom be more vocal about my choices and it's very liberating. Like today I told MIL that I'm happy to buy a carseat for her car, no matter the cost because no, she won't be using a second hand forward facing carseat for E.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Formula feed right from Jump Street. I know breastfeeding can be different from baby to baby, but I became so much happier and content as a mom once I stopped that I know it's the right choice for my family going forward. And I would worry wayyyyy less, just in general. I was so neurotic about everything in the beginning. Next time I will have the confidence to do what I think is best without worrying what "they" say should or shouldn't be done.
  • Options
    Similar to @DublinMama, I would worry way less and not compare myself to others. In regards to BFing - I'm giving myself only 2 weeks with the next one. If I'm as miserable as I was this time around with me crying out of frustration and LO crying out in hunger I'm quitting full stop. Me trying to drag it out and give it time made the situation worse. I was doing what I thought I was "supposed to do" rather than what was best for me and my family.

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• Options
    Hmm....I might get a little MORE stuff.  Since we had a preemie and I'm pretty anti-stuff, we didn't have a swing, I didn't do newborn pictures, etc.  

I would also do my pregnancy better and breastfeeding diet better--fewer cans with BPA, fewer large sodas, more fiber...
  • Options
    I would like to bf the next one... But I kinda wanna ff from the start. I was starting to go crazy from DD waking up at like 10, bfing until 11:30, wouldn't go back to sleep until 12:30 and up again at 1.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I won't read Babywise next time and have unrealistic expectations for my child's sleep. ;) 

I think I'll be able to roll with the punches a bit better next time. I won't worry about what they "should" be doing (eg. sleeping through the night, nursing every 3-4 hours, hitting milestones when the other babies are), and I'll meet them where they are and give them what they are telling me they need, not what some book tells me they need. 

I will also be easier on myself in terms of physical recovery. I tore during delivery, and when I should have been resting and allowing myself to heal, I was pushing myself and trying to get back into walking and doing normal things too soon. 
  • Options
    I always say that next time I won't create a nurse-to-sleep association and I will be consistent/regimented with naps and schedules, but it never happens.  I probably won't change much next time, but maybe hire a cleaning lady to help me out for the first 3-4 months so I don't end up in the same chaotic mess we're in now.  I don't feel like I'll ever dig myself out of the mess that we created when I couldn't keep up with the housework during the first six months.

• Options
    I like to hope that I'll have a more enjoyable pregnancy. I had a very easy pregnancy, but I was SO ANXIOUS about everything. I'm an anxious person in general, but I hope that since I'll have been around the block once before that I'll be able to CTFD since my second pregnancy will likely be my last and it really is an experience that I'd like to treasure.
  • Options

I like to hope that I'll have a more enjoyable pregnancy. I had a very easy pregnancy, but I was SO ANXIOUS about everything. I'm an anxious person in general, but I hope that since I'll have been around the block once before that I'll be able to CTFD since my second pregnancy will likely be my last and it really is an experience that I'd like to treasure.

Definitely this. I hope to just be more zen and not stress over every. little. thing. We may or may not try for a third if we have a second, but still try to enjoy those first few crazy weeks more. Try to enjoy pregnancy more. Try to let all the unsolicited advice roll off my back. Try. Because pregnancy and post partum hormones are no joke!

I like cookies.

• Options
    I won't live with my mom for the first trimester or at all ever again.
    I will remain more active throughout pregnancy. DD will make sure of that even if I don't.
    I will not be so nervous about motherhood.
    I know now that breastfeeding can be difficult.
    I'm gonna buy some better pocket diapers.
    I'm making more freezer meals for PP recovery.
    I'm gonna try pushing slower/longer when the time comes during labor.
    I think that's it but I'm hoping that my expectations of what will happen next time are realistic. I don't have many regrets but those are the things I think about sometimes.
  • Options
    I go back and forth a lot about breast feeding. I've said before that I'm formula feeding from the start next time, but I think I might try to BFand if I have issues again just stop right away instead of stressing about it. Whether or not we BF, we will be giving bottles regularly starting at about 2 weeks. I do not want to have another baby who refuses a bottle- that's been the most stressful thing for us by far.

Also, I'm going to try to just enjoy the snuggles more instead of being so OCD about getting the housework done.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Options
    Oh, I have another one. Last pregnancy, some older woman I work with told me that when the time comes to push, I should push like I'm trying to have a bowel movement. I did, and guess what? I ended up with a c-section because of failure to progress. I am now convinced that I wasn't pushing correctly. Also, I'm trying a vbac next time. Last time I went in when my contractions were still very far apart because I was already 4cm dilated and dd was very low, plus I was past my due date by one day ad was scared I might advance really fast. I ended up being induced, then c-sectioned. Next time I will wait until my contractions are very close and painful before going in. I really, really want a vbac. One more. I will enjoy my coffee during pregnancy without feeling guilty. Of course I won't over do it. Last time I was pretty laid back and ate pineapple throughout because I was craving it. Obviously nothing bad happened. I plan to do the same, relax and eat whatever I want in moderation.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I will be baby wearing from the start. I tried a few times when DD was a newborn and could never get the hang of it for some reason. I recently tried again with the Boba and all I can say is it has been life changing!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"