June 2013 Moms

wakeful period - what did you do?

slepertslepert member
edited November 2013 in June 2013 Moms
I think my LO is going through her wakeful period at night. She is 4 months and 1 week. She is formula feed and is up every 2-3 hours at night. Before she was sleeping 8-9 hours. We are having to feed her every time she wakes up to get her to calm down and go back to sleep, because nothing else is working. She eats about 4-5 oz every feeding. Am I over feeding her? Does she need the food if she is crying for it? What did you do when your LO was crying at night like this?

Re: wakeful period - what did you do?

• I'm replugging her pacifier or feeding her when that doesn't work (or go right to feeding if its been more than 2.5 hours since she last woke). If she's eaten recently and won't settle I'll try just holding her which sometimes works. It sucks because she used to he so good at settling herself.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • BunnyLove416BunnyLove416 member
    edited November 2013
    kari5186 said:
    I cried a lot. Ha. But, seriously, I just kind of accepted and dealt with it. I also got a Magic Merlin Sleep Suit because we were told to stop swaddling. And I had a drink every night to ease my sufferings.
    @kari5186 I just have to say that your siggy picture makes me happy every single time I see it.
  • Loading the player...
  • araziza said:
    I'm replugging her pacifier or feeding her when that doesn't work (or go right to feeding if its been more than 2.5 hours since she last woke). If she's eaten recently and won't settle I'll try just holding her which sometimes works. It sucks because she used to he so good at settling herself.
    This. Exactly. But I've been sending in H to settle him (if it's been less than 2.5 hrs) because I think he can smell the milk on me, andplusalso I haven't slept more than 4 hours in a row in 20 weeks...
                                                                  #Bodymber14 #Bodygate #itsMillerTime

Bradley 05-04-11 & Tyler 06-18-13
  • We ditched the swaddle she'd been using and figured we'd go through all the levels of hell at once.  She went from sleeping a pretty consistent 7 hour stretch to now waking up every 1 or 2 hours after a 3-4 hour stretch.  Her crib is next to her our bed, so it isn't all too difficult to get her back to sleep, just draining when I have to tend to her and a 2 year old in the morning!  Last night, the first couple of wake-ups she took a pacifier and fell right back to sleep and I fed her after that.  She comes to our bed around 4:30 and sleeps with me until morning--that's basically my only hope at rest.
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • araziza said:

I'm replugging her pacifier or feeding her when that doesn't work (or go right to feeding if its been more than 2.5 hours since she last woke). If she's eaten recently and won't settle I'll try just holding her which sometimes works. It sucks because she used to he so good at settling herself.

This. I'll try the soother once or twice, then go to feeding. If it's been less than an hour, I'll rock him back to sleep.

• I try to calm him down by holding him and rocking. I know pretty immediately if its going to work. If he's hungry, he doesn't relax at all when I pick him up and i go feed him. If he just wants cuddles, he'll put his head on my shoulder and after about 5 minutes of rocking he's back to sleep.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I always nurse my LO just until he falls back asleep because its easy and he's basically using me as a pacifier. If its been a couple hours feed a bottle if it was just an hour ago try a paci or rocking. If your LO wants to eat maybe you could just do smaller bottles. Like @kari5186 I also cried and drank more than normal. GL
  • She is bottle feed and is eatting great during the day.She falls asleep a night (the first time) great. anyone think it could be teething? what about teething gel?
  • I nurse every time. He seemed super hungry so I just fed. We started oatmeal yesterday with dinner (he's 5 months Sunday) and he slept from 10pm-4AM. He hasn't done that in a month. Could just be a coincidence but I hope not!
  • Bought a king size bed and cosleep!
  • Same here with getting a king size bed and co sleep. It's the easiest thing for us right now. I need to sleep too lol
    image imageimageimage
  • Yep, I'd nurse.  He clearly wanted to eat and I don't deny my baby food!  One of the theories about the wakeful period is that babies are so suddenly attuned to the world, they're not getting as many calories as they need during the day and therefore wake for it at night.  Have you noticed LO distracted during daytime feedings?

This EXACTLY!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"