June 2014 Moms

STMs, question about family and holidays.

We had our son in March of this year and I'm now about 8 weeks along with #2. Anyway, DH and I had talked about how we wanted to do the holidays now that we have started our family. We both agreed that it would be best if we had thanksgiving and Christmas day dinner at our home. Instead of driving from his family to mine while loading and unloading DS's paraphernalia all over the place. Well DH told his family what we decided to do and now they are all complaining about how it's a bad idea. I see it as we are the ones with a baby soon to be two and if they want to see them they can come to us. Everyone else either has teenagers or no children at all. So DH and I are now having a huge fight because his family got in his head. Am I really that crazy for wanting to have the holidays at our home?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFetus Ticker

Re: STMs, question about family and holidays.

• Not at all! We have Christmas at our house with both families because it is just so much easier
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • When I was married to my ex husband I could never get his family to come to our house when the kids were little. We always had to go there. My mom would come to my house but that was it. I think some families are just kinda stuck in their ways.

Kinda funny because my oldest is 20 he always comes here I don't go to his house as often. Oh my I'm getting old and set in my ways too. Lol
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • MrsAMB07MrsAMB07 member
    edited November 2013
    I can see your point, and part of me wants to be able to start our own traditions with our family, but we're both very close with our families and wouldn't feel right not being with them. That being said, our families are both local to us and it's not a huge problem.  Having a grandchild(ren) in the picture and not having them around on the holidays would not go over well with our parents/grandparents. We usually do Thanksgiving dinner with one and dessert with the other. We do Christmas Eve with one and Christmas Day with the other. (We rotate those each year.)

It used to be crazier and we used to do Santa's presents first thing in the morning, then Christmas breakfast at my sister's house across town, then church, then back to DH's family for presents then up to my grandmother's for the rest of Christmas day. It got to be way too much when we had our second child that we streamlined a bit. Feelings were hurt that we weren't keeping up with all of the traditions, but we had to do what was right for our sanity.
    DS 5 years old
    DD 2 years old
    {Baby GIRL due 6.1}

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We do Christmas with one family and Thanksgiving with another, and it trades off by year.  The other holidays (Easter, July 4th, etc) we choose based on what we're thinking at the time, most of those we stay home.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• when i was growing up my parent's motto was "we have the kids, they come to us" now that i have a kid the motto is apparently "you are our kid come to us" but not happening anymore. we went there for my daughter's first thanksgiving and xmas and never again, we live far away, and the drive is annoying, there really aren't accommodations for us, my almost 3 year old still has to sleep in a pack n play there, i sleep in a twin bed unless my husband is with me then we sleep in the apartment with shitty heat that is attached to my parent's house. 
    just no. 
    my husbands family doesn't do xmas so i don't really worry about them. 
  • KristaU831 - that was the motto I grew up with. My family is fine with it and mom loves that she doesn't have to cook this year. However, DH's family doesn't see it that way at all. His step mom (who has never had children) told me I have to wait until she is to old to cook to take over a holiday. I originally only wanted Christmas day but DH said, in the beginning, he wanted me to do that and thanksgiving. So I said that was okay with me...and now we're fighting.
  • anc5 said:
    KristaU831 - that was the motto I grew up with. My family is fine with it and mom loves that she doesn't have to cook this year. However, DH's family doesn't see it that way at all. His step mom (who has never had children) told me I have to wait until she is to old to cook to take over a holiday. I originally only wanted Christmas day but DH said, in the beginning, he wanted me to do that and thanksgiving. So I said that was okay with me...and now we're fighting.
    trust me, nothing is more miserable than traveling around with little kids on holidays, they want to stay home and play with their new toys. 
    thanksgiving isn't so bad, but xmas sucks. 
  • let your husband learn that the hard way… 
  • If you use the "we have the kids, come to us" motto, what do your parents do if more than one of their children have kids? Do the kids not see their cousins for the holidays? Just curious since it's different than what I'm used to.
    DS 5 years old
    DD 2 years old
    {Baby GIRL due 6.1}

• MrsAMB07 said:
    If you use the "we have the kids, come to us" motto, what do your parents do if more than one of their children have kids? Do the kids not see their cousins for the holidays? Just curious since it's different than what I'm used to.
    for me, my siblings will likely not have children anytime soon so i currently have the only kids. and ditto my husband's family on that aspect.
    so i don't anticipate that being an issue for a very long time. my SIL doesn't want children for a long time, and i don't think my sister wants any at all. my BIL is only 12, and my brother would be lucky to even get a girl to sleep with him. 

when i was growing up, we had some cousins who lived near us and we saw them on christmas eve at the big family gathering with our moms' side, and then on actual xmas they were with their dad's side as they lived in a compound type arrangement. and my grandparents (mom's parents) only went to our house because they were not welcomed at my cousin's home (my aunt split with their dad).
    my dad's brothers never had kids so they always came over for holidays.
    BUT when we were very little before my aunt split with my cousins' father, they would also come to our house for holiday dinners on xmas because my mom is the entertainer of the family, and we had a bigger house. 

• My mom will come over Xmas mid-morning after my girls have finished Santa and our own gifts. Then we do a big breakfast and then Xmas with my mom and the girls. We do go to my in laws a few days before for gifts there. Not a big deal. Last year she brought everything to our house a few days early for the exchange.
  • MrsAMB07 said:

If you use the "we have the kids, come to us" motto, what do your parents do if more than one of their children have kids? Do the kids not see their cousins for the holidays? Just curious since it's different than what I'm used to.

I'm an only child and DH's brother doesn't have custody of his son. My cousins and I all get together after Christmas so all the children can hangout and play. This will be Connor's first one and now between all of us there are 8 children.
  • Also, DH's family does a big Christmas eve thing that we will still be going to.
  • I think we're decided on having Christmas morning here next year and inviting the grands. It's the only way no one is going to be pissed that we're not at their Christmas. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day Eve is with the great-grands (once you're old enough to be a great-grand you win IMO.)

• I honestly hate this time of the year because of all the travel. My entire immediate family is 9 hours away and my sons dad has ds every other holiday. I'm tired already just trying to think of how we will figure out holidays with everything that's going on. I'm seriously considering just skyping with family and doing our own thing at home.
  • It sounds like you might need to compromise.  Maybe do Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve with your in-laws and do Christmas dinner at your home?  Personally, I don't think that having a child means that everyone should change what they normally do just for you, but it does really depend on distance, tradition, etc. If they are not too far away I would probably suck it up and go over for a few hours.

If we are at home around the holidays we go to Thanksgiving and Christmas at H's grandmother's house.  This is what his side of the family has been doing for years, so even though we are the only one with a child we still pack everything up and go over to his grandmother's.  She does not have too many holidays left and I would never dream of telling his whole family to change it up and come spend the holiday at our home...even if I would love to host and it would be easier for us.  We did start a tradition of having the family over and cooking Christmas Eve dinner. So we got to start a tradition too. It is hard to please everyone, but I think your husband should be happy with the decision you make too.

• We're having Thanksgiving at my Grandparents for the first time in a really long time. We'll go to my Mom's on Christmas Eve and his Mom's on Christmas Day. We're expecting #3, but we live three hours from our parents so we feel like it's our duty to travel. There's more family in that area and if we want to see them, it's not fair to ask all of them to travel. I hate it sometimes,  but I do it.  Also, some members of my family are so selfish that I feel like it's my duty to balance them. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Okay let me reiterate. I only wanted Christmas day, DH said HE wanted me to do Thanksgiving as well so I agreed. Now his family is upset with both decisions.
    Now this part is new and I should have just up it in the original post. I'm fine with house hoping for thanksgiving but if that is the case then we will have dinner with my family and appetizers with his.His family doesn't like that idea either even thou we did the opposite last year. Which makes me made because my family is important too.
  • Sometimes it is impossible to make everyone happy.  When we visit my parents on the east coast for Thanksgiving we actually see both my mother's and father's side of the family.  One has thanksgiving dinner around 12ish the other closer to 4.  Could you suggest they both do dinner, but at different times? lol.  just a thought. That way they both feel like they are winning. :)

• That's another problem. My family has it later between 3 &5 because there are a least 20 people there. DH's mom won't have it sooner because there are 13 people. To tell you the truth, I'm getting so stressed and P.O.ed about this I'm thinking about going back to work and just working the holidays again. DH can deal with this crap.
  • We laid down the law when we got married. Each family gets every other Thanksgiving and every other Easter. Christmas Eve is for my family and Christmas Day is for DH's. Last year, we hosted all holidays except Thanksgiving for the first time since we had the kid and lived far away. This year, I am hoping for the same, but BIL/SIL had their first this year so we will see.
  • I dread the holidays every year because all I want to do is relax! Instead I feel like our schedule is insane! We go to Christmas Eve mass with my family, then we drive 40 minutes to DH's grandparent's house for gifts. Then back to our house and we do Christmas morning with DH's family at our house, then drive 35 minutes to DH's other grandparent's house and then back to my parent's house for gifts and Christmas dinner. I think it's crazy for everyone to expect us to go everywhere and they won't even consider that it's difficult for us. I'm having a talk with my husband because next year...I will not be driving all over.

Married 6/28/08, TTC 7/10, BFP 11/30/11! Charlotte Rose born on 8/4/12! TFAS 8/13, BFP 10/14/13! Lori Anne Catherine born on 6/13/14!

• I am doing thanksgiving here this year for the first time and full be inviting my parents and a few friends, maybe seven people including us and our son. My husband's family is going about six hours away and no freaking way am i doing that with this morning sickness and our 2 year old. I'm actually really looking forward to my husband deep frying a turkey and me trying to make sweet potatoes and not dealing with the usual thanksgiving drama on my husband's side. I'll take my own family drama, thanks.
    "I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing."

• Ugh typing on my phone excuse fat fingers.
    "I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing."

• When we were married we had to compromise Christmas. DHs family had "events" from the 24-27, mine only had a big dinner with my mom's family on the 25th. Our compromise was sometimes we'd go to his family thing on the 24th, then just us on Christmas morning, then my side for Christmas dinner (which alternates between us and my brother's place), then his family boxing day. Thankfully my mom's side changed their tradition completely and now have a potluck dinner a week before. When all my cousins started having their own families everyone realized there were too many competing traditions. I wish his extended family would realize the same thing.

Thanksgiving is a mess, we manage to have dinner with both sides that weekend, but also have to fit them around my work schedule.

I love seeing family on the holidays, and think its worth the hassle.
    PgAL (MC@7w 29/10/11 - lost you before we knew we had you)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Of course the families will complain, but stick to your guns about your kids having Christmas morning at your house if that is what you and DH want. Invite them over to decorate the tree before Christmas or for dessert on Christmas night. It is important to us that our kids wake up at our house on Christmas morning, so that is how we do if. Our families have plenty of opportunity to see us at other times.
  • We don't have kids yet, but I'll come in, because it has been such a topic of discussion here.

We live down the street from my parents, and a few hours from dh's family.

We would normally switch off Thanksgiving, spend Christmas Eve with my family, then drive to see DH's family early Christmas morning andstay for the day.

Last year, it sucked so bad WITHOUT any kids, that I said we had to change something. Getting up and out of our own house at 7 in Christmas morning sucked so bad, I knew I couldn't do it when we had kids.

Thankfully I think DH's mom realized it without us saying anything and said from now on she's doing a party/gathering the Sunday before xmas. Works perfectly. As a compromise, we'll go spend Thanksgiving there. And if course, she'll always be welcome to come spend actual Christmas Day at our house if her other kids aren't around.

image        image

• It's not crazy at all ... If you think you can handle the work involved then your parents and inlaws should understand that you want a turn to host. Maybe there's something you could do to figure out a compromise?
    Beatrice- bfp September 16 2013, born February 1 2014 died later same day.
  • We live about 8 hours driving from both of our families. The holidays are a big struggle as I am an RN and work some holidays. Somehow we always figure it out though. We will always be going to them.. as everyone else is there. We do thanksgiving day with my parents, and a second thanksgiving with his usually on Saturday. Then we do Christmas Eve at my parents and Christmas morning at his. That dosn't even include MY grandparents dinners. Oh the holidays are such a joy
    :)   I would like to start to do our own thing at some point because we are the only ones with little kids (grandchildren) so far but it will probably never happen with our families.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • katekat8721katekat8721 member
    edited November 2013
    FTM, but this is still applicable as my family and I are already talking about this.

My mom hosts ALL holidays as she has slowly taken them over from other family members over the years. Family is used to having holidays at her house because it's easy for them and her house is huge and has a lot of fun things to do (theater room, ping pong, pool, etc).

This year I'm hosting Christmas only because she's given it to me since her kitchen is being remodeled. Hubby and I have been vocal though that once the babies come we will be doing things differently. This freaked out my mom/grandma, who explained that since there are going to be grandchildren now they want to host everything at their house. Well, that's not happening. I in no way mean that I will not spend time without my family, but instead of rushing over to her house first thing Christmas morning we'll spend Christmas morning at our house and go over there for dinner in the afternoon. No big, drastic changes or anything just focusing on being able to spend some alone time with out own little family.

I already knew my family is really territorial when it comes to holidays, but holy crap, the prospect of babies make them even more so!

My in-laws are a different story since they live out of state. Hubby has told them that until the twins are bigger we're going to be having holidays close to home, but they're welcome to come down and celebrate with us.

I saw do whatever you want and feel comfortable doing. If you want to host, then go ahead and host. You may have to keep in mind that your family may not take to the change well and may not come. If you're okay with that then it's not a problem. If you still want to have time with family, you can compromise and spend some time alone with your family and some time with the extended family.

• This is mine and my boyfriends first holiday season together. It's tough because my family has demands and so does his family.

Thanksgiving we're probably going to split up and go to our respective families. Next year, we'll figure something out.

As for Christmas, he and I have in our heads that we would like to start and have certain traditions. Like our kids (he calls my son his) waking up at home on Christmas morning and experiencing Santa. So Christmas Eve we go to his grandmothers for the big extended family feast/celebration and Christmas morning we're at home. His sister through a stink about it because she thinks we should still come to her because she has 4 kids.

Granted we are going over there after our little family thing, just not at 6 am when her kids wake up.

I think offering to host the holidays is a fair trade off. However, if other people in your family have children, then maybe it should be rotated? As a child, I always hated having to drive for over 2 hours to see one set of grandparents, then another 2-3 hours for another set then go home. I wish Christmas would have rotated.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • No! Stick to your guns. My husband's family came into town last year for Christmas and everyone was staying with his brother because he had more room. I told my husband I wanted to spend my baby's first Christmas in our house with our kid and his parents and whoever else were welcome to join us. I did not want to haul all her presents over there and then have to keep them away from the other little kids.We spent the morning by ourselves and just went over after we were done. Tell them your plan and that they are welcome at your house. Make it their decision. Say "We want you guys to come over and spend the holidays with us but if  you don't want to, we respect that." That way they know it's THEIR choice to come or not.
  • We are lucky that our families are mostly close by. We split Thanksgiving so we spend the dinner with one family and dessert with the other. Christmas is a little different because DH's family does a fairly fancy dinner of Raclette so that usually trumps my family's plans. It's okay though because we split Christmas Day between the families.

As far as other holidays we spend Memorial Day with his family and Independance day with my family. It works for us and after three years it's still good!
  • lest12 said:
    We don't have kids yet, but I'll come in, because it has been such a topic of discussion here. We live down the street from my parents, and a few hours from dh's family. We would normally switch off Thanksgiving, spend Christmas Eve with my family, then drive to see DH's family early Christmas morning andstay for the day. Last year, it sucked so bad WITHOUT any kids, that I said we had to change something. Getting up and out of our own house at 7 in Christmas morning sucked so bad, I knew I couldn't do it when we had kids. Thankfully I think DH's mom realized it without us saying anything and said from now on she's doing a party/gathering the Sunday before xmas. Works perfectly. As a compromise, we'll go spend Thanksgiving there. And if course, she'll always be welcome to come spend actual Christmas Day at our house if her other kids aren't around.
    Wow, what a great MIL. You don't usually hear of them being so understanding and courteous enough to have that foresight. Glad it'll be a more relaxing holiday for you!
    DS 5 years old
    DD 2 years old
    {Baby GIRL due 6.1}

• I could only wish to have this "problem" we are a military family and we live overseas. I would love to go wherever whenever for thanksgiving and Christmas if it meant spending time with our family.

My parents have had 7 grandchildren in the last 3 years lol so they are practically dying for everyone to fly
    Home to be together so everyone can play. Lol
  • The older I get, the more I hate and dread the holidays. Too much drama and competing traditions. Blah...dh and I both want to stay home for both holidays. Thank God we agree on that and we get to bitch and families complaining about our choice. Selfish, maybe, but it's our family and our decision.

imageimage
    DD born on 11/10/2007
    TTC Sept-Nov 2012
    BFP on 10/25/2012 CP 11/1/2012
    Back on BCP
    BFP on 10/13/2013 EDD June 26, 2014 
    Little Girl went to Heaven on January 26, 2014 @ 18 weeks
    TTCAL March 2014-Present
    BFP on 6/20/2014 Blighted Ovum
    BFP on 8/31/2014 It's a GIRL!  EDD May 18, 2015
  • We have our own traditions for our little family.  But we make sure to travel to see his family on Thanksgiving, and Christmas eve, and mine on Christmas day and the week before Christmas for a holiday party. We want to start our own thing but we aren't willing to cut out or families in the process.  Its easy to say if they want to see us they can come over. But for us that's like 50 people in my family to come over and quite frankly I don't want to entertain like that.  We put a box of stuff together and when its gone (like snacks, diapers, and juice) then we leave. 
    image  image  image
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • amoot890 said:

Tell DH to suck it up - he's even the one who came up with the plan. I don't think from what you said his extended family is going to be OK with anything short of you doing nothing with your own extended family and that's not fair. So you need to do what is best for YOUR growing family. There's always going to be growing pains when children grow up and start their own families, it'll be better once you get things established.

Finger to nose. We all got in a huge argument last night and I was pretty much told by DH's family that they are more important then mine. It got to the point where I told DH either we keep to last years plan and do appetizers with his family and dinner with mine (we did the opposite last year) or I would take DS with me to my family's and he could go to his. DH ended up telling his family that we are sticking with the original plan and that if they had a problem with it that's their issue. They were causing unneeded arguing in our home and that is unacceptable to us. So now that I'm not so stressed I'm making DH a cheesecake for sticking to his gun. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"