June 2013 Moms

RSV

At the ER with Ben. He's had a nasty congested cough the last few days and today started coughing so much he was throwing up. He was struggling to breathe, wasn't eating like he normally does, hasn't had a dirty diaper in days and only a few wet ones today. It's RSV. Poor baby. Being prescribed an antibiotic and breathing treatments and going home for what I imagine will be a long rest of the night.

Re: RSV

• Oh no :( how scary! Sending thoughts and prayers and hope he gets well soon.

• Poor baby :( I hope he gets to feeling better soon!!
    image imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Hope he gets well soon
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    photo its20a20girl_zpsy8rztyxtjpg
  • I hope he feels better soon!

imageimageimage

• I'm sorry :( hope he's gets better quick!

• I hope he starts feeling better soon!
    image         image

• Home now and he's finally asleep. For how long, we shall see. At the hospital they gave him a breathing treatment and 10 mL of a liquid steroid before we left. They wanted to give him a dose of the antibiotic as well but after gagging, spitting out and almost puking on the steroid I asked if I could just get the Rx filled and give it to him with a little formula first thing in the morning. You should have seen their faces. They had never heard of that. Ummm.... Really? Then a nurse told us we could give him up to 8 or 10 oz of pedialyte at a time. Pretty sure that's wrong. Anyone know what a proper amt would be? Calling our pedi in the morning about all this as well.
  • Thanks ladies. Poor squishy. When he's not coughing a lung up he's still a happy little baby. Goes to show that moping over a sprained ankle like my husband has been doing for a week now, is very a much learned behavior ;-)
  • Poor thing! I hope he gets better soon! What a tough little guy.

• Poor little guy, hope he feels better soon!

And I'm just throwing this out there, ask you pedi in the AM about the antibiotic. When I worked on a pedi floor, we didn't give antibiotics for RSV. It's a virus, so abx aren't routinely used for it. This is where super bugs are created because of unnecessary abx use. We usually did breathing treatments and steroids and let it run it's course. So I'd ask your pedi!

But seriously, I hope he feels better soon. Nothing worse than a sick baby :(

Thanks, I appreciate the tip! They mentioned possible overlapping infections, and even possible strep and basically made a blanket statement that they are prescribing the antibiotic to fight any other infections that might be going on. Yeah, I wasn't very pleased with that little gem of an explanation either. What's odd is that he has eczema and what we thought were eczema spots have really inflamed and spread all over his body today as well. Could be hives or still eczema and totally unrelated, I still don't know. I brought it up and they me ruined some sort of viral rash that comes with these things and that the antibiotic would clear it up. Again, sounds like a lot of maybe's and shoulds and pretty sure's to me.

• Prayers that baby Ben gets better soon!

image      image    

IVF #1 September 2012, beta #1: 213; beta #2: 580. Expecting Twins! 
    EDD 6/9 lost one angel at 9w3d :( 
    Baby boy arrived 6/1/13
    FET #1 10/14, BFP -Chemical Pregnancy :(
    Everyone Welcome

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • So scary. Sorry he's sick :( I hope he feels better soon!

Lilypie - (tyeV)

Lilypie - (AarQ)

• Hope he feels better soon!

• Hope he feels better soon!  RSV is the worst and it's unfortunately getting to be that season of the year! :( 
  • Poor thing, hope he's feeling better.
     Anniversary

• Aw! Hang in there mommy! I hope he gets better soon!
    ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    imageimage
  • Hugs from the Was's...sounds like you are being an awesome mom for being such a good advocate for Ben!
                                                                  #Bodymber14 #Bodygate #itsMillerTime

Bradley 05-04-11 & Tyler 06-18-13
  • It stinks that it's RSV, but I'm glad it got diagnosed and hopefully he feels better soon!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
  • Poor LO. Hang in there.
  • Aww :( I hope he feels better soon.
  • Awww can't catch a break, hope you LO feels better soon!
  • Poor baby! Hope he feels better soon.

• How scary!  That poor little boy!  Hope he gets better soon!
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Many wishes for a speedy recovery...poor little one.

img_1297_lighter 
  • Poor little peanut! Hope he feels better and doesn't start learning about man cold behavior from Daddy! ;)

• Thank you all so much. @calikat80 that's too funny and too true.

After we got home he slept pretty well. I put him back in the RnP in our room versus his crib. I figured being so upright will help his congestion and breathing, plus wanted him nearby. I was nervous that he wouldn't sleep in it since he's been out of it for a while but he did well. From 2:30-9:30 am he only woke up once to eat. Poor baby was worn out. Now let's hope going back to the crib will be that easy.

So the pedi said to nix the antibiotic. Good. They also said only half to one ounce of pedialyte. Definitely not 8 oz or "as much as he will take"! I really don't know why I continue to go to that hospital. Well, yes I do, it's because it is 2 miles from my house.

@42Butterflies- No they didn't do a strep test, only flu and RSV. Thankfully, the pedi said not to take the antibiotic.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"