June 2013 Moms
Options

GTKY: Holiday Edition

For the Thanksgiving/Christmas/Hanakkuh Celebrators:

(FTMs) Are you doing any new traditions now that you have a LO?

(FTM's) Will you give you LO a gift/gifts?

How much do you plan on spending on your LO(s)?

Are you making holiday cards with a family photo, or just a baby/kids photo?

Where are you and your family planning on going this year?

(for Christmas celebrators) Does Santa visit?

(S+TMs) Will you do things different with your LO this year than your first? If so, why?

Talk to me about your current traditions and the new ones you want to incorporate:

SURPRISE! BFP: 12/2014 - EDD: 8/13/15

We made plans and God laughed

DS: BFP: 9/30/12 - EDD: 6/9/13

Radley Quinn was fashionably late via induction on 6/17/13

Re: GTKY: Holiday Edition

• Options

(FTMs) Are you doing any new traditions now that you have a LO? H wants to make sure we open one present on Christmas Eve.  I want to get her a Christmas movie or book every year.

(FTM's) Will you give you LO a gift/gifts? Yep.  I probably won't do Santa this year, but I definitely want Lily to have something.

How much do you plan on spending on your LO(s)? Probably $50 or so.  I want to do one big gift and a couple small ones.  Mainly toys because that is what she needs.

Are you making holiday cards with a family photo, or just a baby/kids photo? We will be doing cards, but with only Lily.  She's cute and no one wants to see my face.

Where are you and your family planning on going this year? This year we are spending at home.  However, we will be going to Kansas in the future.

(for Christmas celebrators) Does Santa visit? Santa will.  We will give him cookies!

Talk to me about your current traditions and the new ones you want to incorporate: Every year we get a new ornament for each person in the family.  We also try to make sure that there is something for the stockings, even the dog's stocking.  H likes to get real trees, so we go tree shopping.  On the years we don't go to Kansas with my family, we FaceTime or Skype them so that we can all open presents together.  I would like to have Lily go see Santa this year.  It might be a bad experience, but one she should have.

AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'd like to start some new traditions... but I'm not quite sure what.

Yes- For Hanukkah we are giving her a Hungry Caterpillar toy (it's got all sorts of textures and stuff.) and a container of links (she doesn't have many now... like 2?).

For Christmas she is getting her Cabbage Patch Kid, and maybe a personalized board book.

Once she's older, we're going to the Want/Need/Wear/Read + Santa + Hanukkah treat.

Around $100? the CPK is probably the biggest $$

We're doing a 3-photo card - one of her as a newbie, one of us in front of our new house, and one of just the three of us all dressed up!

Where are you and your family planning on going this year?

We are asking our parents (all 6 of them), plus my sister/husband and his sister and grandpa to come for Christmas day. Thanksgivvukah will be at my moms.

(We have a 3-year cycle for Thanksgiving, and Xmas has been a 3 day travel fest for the last 8 years).

(for Christmas celebrators) Does Santa visit?

Yes, but Santa will only do one special gift each year.

imageimage
    Our lil' diva: late like her Momma: 40 weeks 5 days!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

(FTMs) Are you doing any new traditions now that you have a LO? Nothing out of the ordinary. Santa, etc..

(FTM's) Will you give you LO a gift/gifts? Yes, but not that many. He is so little, he won't know anyways. he will get a stocking, some clothes, and a couple toys.

How much do you plan on spending on your LO(s)? the older kids... $300-$500 range each. I honestly dont know how much I spend. I start buying in September and stash it away. (dont judge...) and the baby. Maybe $100-$150

Are you making holiday cards with a family photo, or just a baby/kids photo?We are mailing holiday cards with a little family newsletter with pictures.

Where are you and your family planning on going this year?Thanksgiving is with my Husbands Family, Christmas Eve is with my Family, Christmas Day with His Family. We will have my step children for Thanksgiving & Christmas Eve this year.

(for Christmas celebrators) Does Santa visit? ALWAYS. the older kids know he is not real, but he still comes. Santa only brings stockings & 1 gift in our house. everything else is from us.

(S+TMs) Will you do things different with your LO this year than your first? If so, why? Nothing different. We like how it's set up know.

Talk to me about your current traditions and the new ones you want to incorporate:We have an advent calender for Christmas we put little dollar store things in for the kids and they get to pull boxes each day and get a little suprise. I think this will be the last year we do it for them. they are getting older and it's not as cool anymore. Next year it will be just for Hud and they will get the chocolate Calenders.

EVERY Christmas Eve we make Clam Chowder with my side of the family. I have done it since I was born and have NEVER missed a year. Since I have bene with my husband we have gone every year. My Step kids actually look forward to it every year and they know about the tradition. they love it as well, which makes me feel great. I hope they carry it on when they are older.

Married: 04-13-12 

SS: 12-13-02 | SD: 12-13-02

DS: 6-8-13 | Sept 15' #2

• Options
    (FTMs) Are you doing any new traditions now that you have a LO?  We actually changed our branch of Catholicism from Roman Catholic to Methodists so we are sort of learning the ropes as to how they do the holidays.  We also are staying local and calling the time we start dinner.  Mine and DH's families like to eat late.  Not anymore!

(FTM's) Will you give you LO a gift/gifts?  Not this year.  I want to order us nice stockings with monograms once we are done having kids so that they are the same, but for now he'll only get a my first Christmas ornament, small stocking, and a personalized chair.  He has a countless number of toys from the two showers I had, and I'm sure my mom and MIL will give him more stuff as they can't help themselves.

How much do you plan on spending on your LO(s)? The chair cost $75 and I bought it with credit.  How much are the hallmark ornaments and "my first Christmas" stockings? $30?

Are you making holiday cards with a family photo, or just a baby/kids photo?  Just the baby this year.  I'm not "photogenic" yet :\">

Where are you and your family planning on going this year?  DH's family gets thanksgiving and Christmas Day, I get Christmas Eve and Easter.  We are holding strong on this until we get a house that we can host in.

(for Christmas celebrators) Does Santa visit?  He will when LO is old enough to understand.

image      image    

IVF #1 September 2012, beta #1: 213; beta #2: 580. Expecting Twins! 
    EDD 6/9 lost one angel at 9w3d :( 
    Baby boy arrived 6/1/13
    FET #1 10/14, BFP -Chemical Pregnancy :(
    Everyone Welcome

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

For the Thanksgiving/Christmas/Hanakkuh Celebrators:

(FTMs) Are you doing any new traditions now that you have a LO? Not really.  H and i have always done stockings- and I had a stocking my entire childhood.  We will start hanging the filled stocking on the foot of our bed- We did it downstairs when it was just H and I, but I loved running in to my parents room as a little kid and waking them up and the stockings being right there.  Oh and we will eat breakfast at home with our family before heading out. 

(FTM's) Will you give you LO a gift/gifts? Yes.  Nothing over the top.  B has 8 aunts/uncles and tons of grandparents, so there is no need for us to go over the top. 

How much do you plan on spending on your LO(s)? In the $100 neighborhood.  Maybe more if we decide to give him a new car seat for Christmas. 

Are you making holiday cards with a family photo, or just a baby/kids photo? Family photo.  Thanks for reminding me. 

Where are you and your family planning on going this year? Our families all live local, so we will bounce around from my parents to his.  Christmas eve will be at our house though. 

(for Christmas celebrators) Does Santa visit? I think we will neither encourage nor discourage the Santa situation.  

(S+TMs) Will you do things different with your LO this year than your first? If so, why?

Talk to me about your current traditions and the new ones you want to incorporate: We get together with my inlaws on Christmas Eve.  They do an elfster gift exchange (like secret santa, but online) .  I kinda hate it- there is no thought involved- you just literally buy the person something off their list, but not my family, not my rules.  Christmas morning is always at my mom's house.  It is fun- I have lots of siblings and they are all there.  And then we play board games the rest of the day and watch movies, and basically veg out.  I love it. 

image image
    Bennett Andrew- 6/4/13      Nora Elizabeth - 10/3/14
  • Options

Last year we started Franksgiving - Over Thanksgiving weekend (for me it's W-R-F-S-S) we will pick up our Christmas tree on Wednesday, do Thanksgiving w/ my husband's family, and on Friday we will have Franksgiving at my house. Just the three of us. I will make a full Thanksgiving dinner, trim the tree, listen to Christmas music, ect.  I wanted to start this last year b/c I think it's such a nice cozy way to spend a day that is traditionally marketed to spend money.  For Christmas this year, we will visit Santa and have Rad's picture taken with him, and when he's older we will do Elf on the Shelf for sure, and advent calendar as well as an advent wreath, including lighting the candles, reading from the advent book we have, saying prayers, ect. We started doing this last year too

Yes, but only small things, and maybe one big gift. I know our families will go all out.

$100 tops this year.

We are going to do a card with Rad's picture. I'm too fat to add me in it. It will ruin it!

Where are you and your family planning on going this year?It's kind of up in the air. Depends on what my husbands family does. But the week after we are definitely going to my Aunts house as we do every year.

(for Christmas celebrators) Does Santa visit? Not this year, but he will in the future.

Talk to me about your current traditions and the new ones you want to incorporate: I am CRAZY when it comes to traditions. I love this time of year SO much, and I want Rad to have some awesome times ahead.  I really look forward to all the fun stuff we plan on doing. So far this year, we went to the tree farm to pick out our trree with him.  We will bring it home the day before T-giving. This will be an annual event. He wasn't digging it this year, but I am sure he will in the future. I am crazy about decorating early and getting the house all pretty and keeping it up for as long as we can.

SURPRISE! BFP: 12/2014 - EDD: 8/13/15

We made plans and God laughed

DS: BFP: 9/30/12 - EDD: 6/9/13

Radley Quinn was fashionably late via induction on 6/17/13

• Options

No new traditions this year, unless we come up with one on the fly.

She will get gifts from us. Under $50.

Am I the only one who doesn't send out holiday cards?

We are staying home Christmas morning then we will probably head over to my grandmas house.

Santa is not going to be highly publicized in my household, so I guess he won't visit.

We don't really have traditions, just open presents and enjoy family.

image image

• Options

(FTMs) Are you doing any new traditions now that you have a LO? Nothing new new.  They'll both get new pjs and last year we left reindeer food on our lawn.

(FTM's) Will you give you LO a gift/gifts?  He's getting a few things but not much.  As the second boy we have every toy that exists but I don't want our older son to think Santa forgot Quinn so he'll definitely get something.

How much do you plan on spending on your LO(s)? Aiden I'd rather not say.  We're big on Christmas gifts lol.  Hundreds.  More of them than I'll say but I'm going to try to scale back this year.  Quinn probably $100 but that will include things he'll need anyway like sippies and puffs

Are you making holiday cards with a family photo, or just a baby/kids photo? Probably just a kid photo from our fall shoot since I didn't love myself in any of them.

Where are you and your family planning on going this year?  We're probably going to BIL/SIL's house on Christmas Eve day but we always stay home on Christmas

(for Christmas celebrators) Does Santa visit?  Abso-freakin-lutely!

(S+TMs) Will you do things different with your LO this year than your first? If so, why? Nope :)

Talk to me about your current traditions and the new ones you want to incorporate:  Last year we made cookies but Aiden ate most of them. Hopefully this year he'll leave some for Santa :)  We always go to a parade that week and hang our stockings on Christmas Eve.  I grew up not being allowed down stairs on Christmas morning until the adults were there or ready to walk down with us because they wanted to see our faces as we saw the tree all lit up and all the presents.  Same in our house :)

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    @subliminalrabbit my mom would read us a different countries take on Santa each Christmas Eve and show us pictures of how he is depicted in that country.  I forgot about that until you mentioned it.  This was after we finished the 7 fishes @steamboat1679.

image      image    

IVF #1 September 2012, beta #1: 213; beta #2: 580. Expecting Twins! 
    EDD 6/9 lost one angel at 9w3d :( 
    Baby boy arrived 6/1/13
    FET #1 10/14, BFP -Chemical Pregnancy :(
    Everyone Welcome

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    What are the 7 fishes? @steamboat1679
  • Options

(FTMs) Are you doing any new traditions now that you have a LO? Now that we have 2 we have decided to make Christmas Eve a lot more family centered and stay home instead of going to the in laws or my parent's

(FTM's) Will you give you LO a gift/gifts? Just a few small things because his sister will want to know where his gifts are

How much do you plan on spending on your LO(s)? Not much. He doesn't understand it yet so just a few small gifts. DD understands though so probably about $100 for her. I went clearance shopping after Halloween and got her a ton of dress up costumes for $4 each

Are you making holiday cards with a family photo, or just a baby/kids photo? We took family pictures a couple weeks ago and they turned out amazing. I will probably just do one pic on the card this year

Where are you and your family planning on going this year? My parents house which is about an hour away. We're doing Thanksgiving with DH's family down in LA

(for Christmas celebrators) Does Santa visit? This will be his first year. Not sure what he is getting LO but he got DD a train table and wooden train set

(S+TMs) Will you do things different with your LO this year than your first? If so, why? We are starting a TON more Christmas traditions this year. Not just because we have 2 little ones but because DD is old enough to understand. We're doing an advent calendar and inside is a family activity to do every night

Talk to me about your current traditions and the new ones you want to incorporate: We're doing the advent calendar (see above), wrapping Christmas books and opening one to read at bed each night, and a Christmas Eve box which will have pjs for all of us, a Christmas movie, popcorn and hot coco in it

Can you tell I love Christmas and traditions? 

:)
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I can't read all these words.
  • Options

(FTMs) Are you doing any new traditions now that you have a LO? No. Just continue old traditions so they can be based onto her.  

(FTM's) Will you give you LO a gift/gifts? Yes

How much do you plan on spending on your LO(s)?  $300 ....yaya, it's a lot, so what. I'm using the opportunity to buy her lots of winter and maybe even some spring clothes.

Are you making holiday cards with a family photo, or just a baby/kids photo? Baby photo only, I feel awkward doing a family card. I don't think people want to see pics of us, they want to see the baby!

Where are you and your family planning on going this year? No where, home.

(for Christmas celebrators) Does Santa visit? YES!

Talk to me about your current traditions and the new ones you want to incorporate: Early Christmas eve with my husband's family, exchanging gifts. Late Christmas eve with my family at the "castle". (My aunt runs a kids birthday party place that she has decorated like a castle and she has a big party there Christmas eve for family/friends. So much fun. Complete with photo booth station (w/ all the costumes you could imagine to try) and a craft table for the kids. Christmas day is with my family too but the other side.

"No one will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." -Unknown

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimageimageimage

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"