Parenting
Options

Fuck you, Time magazine.

I'm not a fan of Chris Christie, but this is a low blow.  

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

Re: Fuck you, Time magazine.

• Options
    Klassy.

can't get the ticker to work, but I have two sons:

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
  • Options
    You don't focus on anyone's weight, even if it's supposed to be a play on words. 

No.  Someone's physical appearance has absolutely no impact on how well they do their job.  At least in this field.  

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't get it until I read the comments.
    <---slow
  • Options
    Why should his weight have anything to do with his ability to do his job?

People focused on McCain's heart issues in 2008 because if he died, Sarah Palin would've been president.  

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• Options
    Also, in general, one's weight does impact their ability to do a job.  Flight attendants all fit within a weight profile because they need to be in a certain physical shape to do their job, etc.  There are tons of other fields where this is also true.
    That's why I said "not in this field".  

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• Options
    But my point is that he shouldn't be scrutinized because of his weight. 

He should be scrutinized for his political history. 

Taft was a good president.  He was also 350lbs and got stuck in his bathtub.   

I don't agree.  If Chris Christie gets stuck in his bathtub, wouldn't' that impede his ability to get to the bunker if we are under attack?
    Strawman argument. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• Options
    JUST BECAUSE THEY CAN DOESN'T MEAN THEY SHOULD. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• Options
    The headline is gross.

On the subject of his weight, hasn't he lost a substantial amount recently? I agree that it shouldn't be what he's scrutinized about. It just seems like a weak, superficial argument. 
    -------------------------------------
  • Options
    The headline is gross.

On the subject of his weight, hasn't he lost a substantial amount recently? I agree that it shouldn't be what he's scrutinized about. It just seems like a weak, superficial argument. 
    Yes, and it's been said he's lost weight for his presidential campaign.  

Which is ridiculous and stupid.  

If he wants to lose weight for his own health reasons, fine. 

If he's doing it to be more visually appealing to the American public, that is bullshit and the American public needs to rethink their priorities.  

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• Options
    Didn't Christie have some sort of weight loss surgery? I agree that it was a horrible play on words. The man is obviously trying to get his weight issues under control. Even though his health could impact his career, so could anyone's. Even supposedly healthy people drop dead from health issues daily.
  • Options
    The article doesn't seem to be about weighing the implications of Christie's weight on his ability to be president though. It's just a random fat joke.

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
  • Options
    I believe that in America, people would be more likely to vote for Sarah Palin than someone like Angela Merkel for president because physical apperance. 

Think on that.  

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• Options

The headline is gross.

He has. He had lap-band surgery I believe.

I also took elephant=Republican until I read the comments.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    JUST BECAUSE THEY CAN DOESN'T MEAN THEY SHOULD. 
    Ok well this can be said about one million things as well.

But politics is like the forefather of demolishing the construct of "just because they can't doesn't mean they should".  Politics is the dirtiest of all games. 

For as many people who agree with your point of view @cinemagoddess, there will be another contingent that nods their heads slowly to the headlines on that cover.
    Yes, politics is dirty.  That is also bullshit and makes the players look like middle schoolers rather than adults trying to lead a country or state or city or whatever.  

I'm less inclined to vote for someone if they play dirty politics.  Homey don't play that.  

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• Options
    lol at Toronto's mayor.  

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• Options

If he's doing it to be more visually appealing to the American public, that is bullshit and the American public needs to rethink their priorities.  
    See I would argue that it isn't necessarily to be "visually appealing", but to appear more "fit" to lead.  The reality of the situation is that you are talking about the American public.  While there is a substantial contingent that are well read on the background of his politics, etc, there is also an enormous contingent that will read nothing, research nothing, and vote solely based on the way he looks.

Does this make sense? No.  Does this speak to the overall fucked-up-ness of our electoral system and general populace?  Yes.  But, like it or not, that is reality.

I suppose the point of this type of forum is to rage against that reality, and I get that.
    Then this country cannot complain when they elect public officials for bullshit reasons and then nothing gets done or the person doesn't perform as expected.  

You get what you pay for and all that.  

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• Options

Yea I didn't get the weight thing either, I was thinking elephant=republican.  I'm too slow today.

Agreed, it's not blatant. It could be the Republican symbolism, it could be his weight, it could be the fact that he's this loud, bellowing Jersey guy.

Maybe it's a low-blow to discuss his weight. But it's hardly unprecedented. Hillary Clinton's "cankles," anyone? What about all the attention Sarah Palin got for being "hot?" When it's a female politician, it's background noise, but when it's a male politician it's outrageous and disgusting. Right.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I also thought republican at first.

If being overweight didn't carry the possibility of health problems, it wouldn't make me personally less likely to vote for him. But it does have health implications. And how much depends on how much I like his VP pick. I don't see him trying to lose weight as any different than Obama quitting smoking.

I mean it's still mean to put that on the cover because people could obviously take it that way. To me that wouldn't be worth the pun/play on words.

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • Options
    pobrecita said:

Nechie122 said:

Yea I didn't get the weight thing either, I was thinking elephant=republican.  I'm too slow today.

Agreed, it's not blatant. It could be the Republican symbolism, it could be his weight, it could be the fact that he's this loud, bellowing Jersey guy.

Maybe it's a low-blow to discuss his weight. But it's hardly unprecedented. Hillary Clinton's "cankles," anyone? What about all the attention Sarah Palin got for being "hot?" When it's a female politician, it's background noise, but when it's a male politician it's outrageous and disgusting. Right.

Are you familiar with this board at all?

I do think women politicians get it worse and it absolutely enrages me. But that doesn't mean this wasn't also an example of trying to undermine and embarrass a public figure by using physical appearance. Across the board, this should be unacceptable.

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
  • Options

Nechie122 said:

Disagree.  When you put a silhouette of someone with multiple chins as the ENTIRE cover and then put the world "elephant" at the top headline place, I think it's quite blatant.

If it's so blatant, why are so many people here saying they didn't get it at first?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Not everyone gets everything 100% of the time.  

Once it was pointed out, almost everyone agreed that it was (at the very least) a poor choice of words.  

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• Options
    pobrecita said:

pobrecita said:

Nechie122 said:

Are you familiar with this board at all?
    I do think women politicians get it worse and it absolutely enrages me. But that doesn't mean this wasn't also an example of trying to undermine and embarrass a public figure by using physical appearance. Across the board, this should be unacceptable.

What I mean was, the same people in this thread who are "outraged and disgusted" at this would be equally as pissed if it was a female.

I understood you. I was adding onto your point.

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
  • Options
    It is similar to having a Time cover with Cory Booker and saying  "The Dark Horse Emerges" or something.  

THINK WITH YOUR BRAINS, PEOPLE.  

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• Options
    But if Time magazine decides to go with a slideshow format, I will burn the building to the ground.  

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• Options
    LexiLupin said:
    Really. this is a moo point
    That's an unfortunate typo.
    It's a cow's opinion. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• Options
    Sundae13 said:
    LexiLupin said:
    Really. this is a moo point
    That's an unfortunate typo.
    Nah, it's like a cow's opinion.  It doesn't matter.  It's moo. 
    My favorite Phoebe quote ever!
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • Options
    Or, Joey.  

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• Options
    Unfortunately, being from NJ & a teacher---the name Christie leaves a horrible taste in my mouth. I seriously can't even look at him without wanting to throw something at him. 

He is just a huge bully. Like seriously. 

Needless to say, I try to avoid ANYTHING that features him---including Time magazine.

My blood pressure is already racing just thinking about it. 
    My daughter is my hero.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"