October 2012 Moms
Options

Money and Kids

If you didn't have to worry about money at all, how many kids would you have?  Would money change the number?  I mean like you didn't have to worry about paying for college, the size of your house, changing your standard of living, having household help if needed.

It wouldn't for me.  The max number of kids I would ever have is 3 (I hated being pregnant!) and I would be totally happy if DD was an only even if we had a butt load of money.

Re: Money and Kids

• Options
    I would want 3, the same number we will hopefully have now, regardless of finances. I can't imagine having more than that--I think it would be insanity! 

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
  • Options
    Still 2 for me!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have always talked about 3. But we are going to evaluate how things go with the two boys before trying for a third. Having three means we need different cars, at the very least. But if money were no object, I would have 4. Pregnancy has been easy for me. I would do it twice more.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image    image

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think we are a 2 max family and if we had endless resources *maybe * 3. If this kid doesn't start STTN she will be an only child.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Kinda. Money is definitely a factor, but so is being pregnant (which I hate). I always thought I wanted three until I started actually having them.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    If money wasn't a factor then it would be 4. We are stopping at two and will reevaluate a few yea s after the second LO (which isn't in plans ye t). 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Not sure. I really like the idea of 2 for lifestyle reasons more so than money, but that does contribute. I also hated pregnancy and it almost killed me (literally). Plus environmental reasons play a small role. I would say the option of a third would be more on the table than it is right now.
    DD 9/15/12
  • Options
    I would still want 4.
    Lilypie - Personal picture    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie - Personal picture    
  • Options
    I feel like my family is complete with 2. My last pg sucked I hate the hospital and I'm "old". So even if we had billions I would be done.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Probably just 2. Ashley was a super easy newborn but the thought of starting over even if I had lots of money sounds tough.
  • Options
    Probably 2. Maybe 3 if I had a nanny and house keeper with unlimited money.
    image                 image
    Lilypie - (52Ft)

• Options

if I didn't have to worry about anything I would probably have 3 or 4. Pregnancy was easy for me and my husband always wanted 4. O always saw myself as being one and done but I i want to have two. I'm definitely scared to try again as my mom had twins and I just found out my cousin on my moms side just found out she is have triplets and her son is only two months older than mine. She conceived them naturally too. Now I'm deefinetly scared to try for number 2

• Options
    If money wasn't a factor, and if I could have good sleepers, I'd want two more. I loved pregnancy.

• Options
    It's always been 2 and I don't think more money would change that. I like the parent:child ratio of two.
    The thought of a second pregnancy being multiples gives me the heebie jeebies.
  • Options
    mmnumber5 said:

5-8 I wanted a big family ok!

Ditto!! But DH would say no way. I've always wanted 4. He had my SD before I came into the pic so that would mean 5 for him. We'll prob just try for one more.

I told him if we won millions I'd have and adopt a bunch of babies. He said instead I could build a health center/home for kids in need. Compromise...

• Options
    CK2MD said:
    piffle42 said:
    I still think I would want no more than 3. A big factor for us isn't just money, but managing activities and making sure we can give each kid enough attention.

Agreed. Making sure we give each kid enough attention is my main reason for putting a limit of two for our family. Money isn't a deciding factor for us, but MH and I both have demanding careers that take up as much attention at times as another child would. This is also the reason that I can't imagine being pregnant again right now. Even though I'm older than the average mom on this board, I don't think I personally would be able to give my LO the attention she needs if I had another baby in the near future. More power to those of you who can, but I know my limits.
    if I had another now I'd feel like I was pushing E to the wayside for the other kid.
    Even with an 8 year old it's hard to balance it.

• Options

This may surprise people since we are probably one and done, but I'd have three.  If we're talking unlimited money, we'd buy a huge brownstone and one next door and move my parents into it.  We'd keep our nanny and my mom would come over every day to help.  I'd keep working, but probably move to more of a 9-5 job.  Husband would probably quit totally.  Private schools, vacations, etc. wouldn't be affected.

Right now we have no family nearby and I know L wouldn't get enough attention if we had more than one due to our current careers.  And even though he is doing very well with physical therapy, we still don't know what is to come and I want to be able to help him in any way we need to.

• Options
    We're still uncertain as to how many kids we want and at this point we're sticking with 2 since they'll be 15 months apart. If money weren't an issue I'm really not sure. We're thinking 2 would be good for the lifestyle we prefer and so that our kids get plenty of time and attention- and not outnumbering the parents is a nice situation! I'm feeling overwhelmed right now at the thought of 2 so I can't even imagine more even if money wasn't an issue. Being undecided over the issue in general stinks:(

• Options
    Only 2.  I have a friend who has 3 kids and she's losing her ever loving mind.  Even with all the money in the world, the mental and physical aspects of having more than 2 are just plan HARD.  You are constantly outnumbered and having to satisfy 3 totally different personalities.  The fact that she has 3 girls - oh hell no.  I'd would go crazy.  

BabyFruit Ticker

imageimage 

BFP 1/24/2012 - DS Born 9/22/2012 (11 days early!)
    BFP 2/15/2014 - CP 2/19/2014
    BFP 11/4/2014 - Due 7/14/2015
  • Options
    LauraT25 said:
    MAYBE 2. Money plays a factor but there are a ton of other things that keep me from wanting more.
     This is us too.  We are completely happy with only having E, but then we were talking and we don't want DS being an only child
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

@AMT1107 We haven't definitely decided but reading Lauren Sandler's "One and Only" has helped me a lot.

• Options

I'm happy with just my son if we were had millions I'd still feel the same way

Money never influenced my decision to have children at all

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We'd still want three. We plan to have three, and I can't see me doing pregnancy more than three times. I really don't like it much, but I also love the idea of having one more kid than two.

If this pregnancy is multiples, I'm gonna lose it. Thankfully, multiples don't really run in my family.

(Sorry, I'm a lurker. I haven't posted much here since DS was born.)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I've always wanted 5, but after 2 under 2, I'm rethinking my ability to have the energy for it.  Honestly, I miss my self as a mom a lot.  I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel after this first year.  There have been so many amazing, happy moments, but didn't realize how depressed I've been for the past 2 years.  Becoming a mom has been a beautiful discovery in terms of my identity and am grateful for it, but I really shut down a lot of other components of who I am in order to embrace it.  The balance is slooooowly realigning itself.  I don't know that I could handle the upheaval of more children, even though I envision them and want them.  
  • Options
    After talking to DH we would of had 4.  3 is good for us (and is permanent after Dh's procedure).  Unlimited funds for college, a nanny, and still save for retirement means 4 kids would have been nice. I will say that we are open to a child serendipitously entering our lives.
    Hey I just met you, and you're my baby. This is your family, we're kind of crazy...Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (tl9S)Lilypie - (zrx8)imageimageimage
  • Options
    AMT1107AMT1107 member
    edited November 2013
    @legalbeagle1  - Thanks I'm going to check this book out
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"