Babies: 9 - 12 Months

How do I get my son to sleep through the night

My son used to sleep all night and now he is starting to wake up and scream until me or his dad pick him up and we have noticed him shaking when we get to his bed. What can we do to help him sleep through the night so I can get some rest and go to work the next day? Please help me.

Re: How do I get my son to sleep through the night

• I wish I knew. My 4 yr old still gets up at night and ninjas her way into our bed. I can count on my hand the # of times she slept through the night. Thank goodness DS is way better at sleeping than she was. As our pedi told us, some kids are just crappy sleepers. Wish I had better news.
    imageimage
  • I completely agree with @Nib13

It could be a growth spurt, a phase, if he isn't getting enough naps, or maybe he just had a rough day. DD1 in our house STTN until 9 months, and hasn't since. She turns three tomorrow. She gets up EVERY single night, even if it is just to come sneak into my bed.

Kids go through stages and phases.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • Loading the player...
  • My son was STTN  (12 hour stretches) and also went down like a dream, every single night. At 9 months, he suddenly started waking up in the wee hours and crying/loudly whining, and he also cries a little when he goes down. Started very suddenly. At first I would get up and hold him, but now I just let him CIO (unless it is a clear emergency cry).

He also stopped sucking his thumb quite suddenly, so I can only assume that he needs to figure out a new way to self-soothe. I figure he will work it all out eventually.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Just keep doing what you were doing before (as long as you rule sickeness, etc) and give him time. If he was already STTN, he will go back to it once whatever is going on passes (as long too as you don't create any bad habits). 

We've had MANY phases of sleep regression. We've gotten through all of them and he goes back to his normal STTN self. Just last week he had a bad cold and I was up with him for a little bit every single night and refused to go down for 3 of his naps. The last two days? Perfectly back to normal. 

It's just a matter of time and patience and you can have him back to where he was. Like I stated previously, just be careful that you don't start creating bad habits though (like giving a full feeding in the middle of the night every night, etc).

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Maybe it's obvious, but is he cold?  Dressing my LO in a sweatshirt on top of pajamas has made a world of difference for his comfort.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I thought it was teething but no new teeth, and once I pick him up he will go back to sleep. He takes one nap around 1:30pm everyday and then he will be ready for bed around 8pm and sleep a little while and then wakes up every hour just about and we have checked for ear infections and everything but we can't find anything. I don't have to feed him thorough the night pick him up and he goes back to sleep.
  • My LO had been sleeping terribly... when I mentioned it at the doctor she pointed out that he probably wasn't eating enough.. I had been nursing on demand still -- he still loved to nurse a little bit all through the day.. he also ate what i thought was a lot of regular food, but the ped surprised me with her idea of a "normal" amount.. she said at his age (10 months) babies drink about 24 oz of milk a day, plus 3 different (small) meals and 3 sets of snacks! I followed this plan and he has been sleeping amazingly now.
  • Cabeatty said:
    My LO had been sleeping terribly... when I mentioned it at the doctor she pointed out that he probably wasn't eating enough.. I had been nursing on demand still -- he still loved to nurse a little bit all through the day.. he also ate what i thought was a lot of regular food, but the ped surprised me with her idea of a "normal" amount.. she said at his age (10 months) babies drink about 24 oz of milk a day, plus 3 different (small) meals and 3 sets of snacks! I followed this plan and he has been sleeping amazingly now.
    Same here!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"