June 2013 Moms

question about freezing breast milk

forgive me I'm sure that this is a really stupid question. I've never froze my breast milk before, I always pumped fresh milk daily for Owen when I went to work. I go back to work on Sunday and I wanted to get a small freezer stash for backup. do I lay the bags down flat to freeze, stand them upright, or does it not matter?

Re: question about freezing breast milk

• If you lay them flat they are easier to stack together, in my experience. Thawing them out - doesn't make a difference either way. I have seen some mamas on here complain about bags leaking but I haven't had that happen yet. I use Lansinoh and Target brand.
  • lay them down. and another protip: don't put more than 4oz in a bag. Any time I've tried to get more than 4oz the bag leaks...no bag I've had 4oz or less has leaked. #justsayin
                                                                  #Bodymber14 #Bodygate #itsMillerTime

Bradley 05-04-11 & Tyler 06-18-13
  • Loading the player...
  • I lay my flat too and good to know @wasnotwas!
  • I stand them up and put them in the bottom drawer of the freezer. I have frozen 6 oz. with no problems.
  • I agree with PP's. Flat is the best way to go for easier storage.  Make sure to label them with dates too.  What I'll do is Mondays take the oldest bags out for day care, give fresh Tues- Fri, and the freeze Friday's milk.  I's worked out well and then you can make sure that the milk doesn't get too old.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies! Good tip @WasNotWas

• okay so another question. how long does it typically take to thaw a bag of milk? and do we put it in water do I put it in the fridge do I laid on the counter?

• https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/milkstorage/

This has any tips I would give you. put the bags in a big ziplock bag when you thaw just in case of leaks. I usually take the bags out Sunday mornings and make bottles for Monday Sunday night

#Bodymber14 #Bodygate #itsMillerTime

Bradley 05-04-11 & Tyler 06-18-13
  • I haven't had any issues with leaking (freeze flat, use target brand bags) and typically use one or 2 bags a day to make daycare bottles. I pull them out of the freezer when I get home from work and am dealing with bottles/pump parts. They are mostly thawed by the next morning, so I pour them into bottles then.
  • I freeze flat, then use a box and the drawer at the bottom of my freezer to line them up vertically. It's been the easiest for storage so far.
    I use Lansinoh and Target bags- and the DCP thaws the bags inside a gallon size freezer bag,  then fills her bottles that way. We've only had one lost bottle worth so far, and it was due to a tipped over bottle in the fridge (SAD TIMES!)
    imageimage
    Our lil' diva: late like her Momma: 40 weeks 5 days!
  • @CarolynL8 my pumping has gone to shit over the last week. I've only gotten 2oz as opposed to my usual 5-6 per pump. The all night buffet at my house is having trouble keeping up with the demand of it's only patron. No more milk for storage until he starts sleeping better :/

image      image    

IVF #1 September 2012, beta #1: 213; beta #2: 580. Expecting Twins! 
    EDD 6/9 lost one angel at 9w3d :( 
    Baby boy arrived 6/1/13
    FET #1 10/14, BFP -Chemical Pregnancy :(
    Everyone Welcome

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • @phishgirl29 Are your bags in the freezer door?

@brandilc84 Another tip is to measure how much you're going to freeze before putting the milk in the bag because the bags aren't accurate at all! I use a sharpee to mark the volume and date.
  • @kelly422, they were only there for an hour or two while I was reorganizing freezer meals. I know that it is not recommended (by kellymom) due to temperature inconsistency. Thanks for looking out ;) !

image      image    

IVF #1 September 2012, beta #1: 213; beta #2: 580. Expecting Twins! 
    EDD 6/9 lost one angel at 9w3d :( 
    Baby boy arrived 6/1/13
    FET #1 10/14, BFP -Chemical Pregnancy :(
    Everyone Welcome

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • @phishgirl29 Haha you read my mind. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"