Orange County Babies

Natural birth at Hoag? or Saddleback?

My husband and I just met our OB Dr. Candace Howe for the first time but when we mentioned that we wanted a natural childbirth, she became distant. Don't get me wrong, she said it was great and verbalized that she supported our decision, but then spent the next couple minutes telling me how just because I take an epidural doesn't make me a failure as a woman...??? and then ran out of the room without answering our other questions. (On a side note, I've no qualms with medicated birth; it's a personal decision.) Awkward.

Has anyone had a natural birth at Hoag? Were you supported or did you have nurses/doctors pressuring you?

We're thinking of switching to Saddleback... the general consensus is that they're more supportive. Any OB recommendations or experiences to share?

Re: Natural birth at Hoag? or Saddleback?

• I'm a FTM so I have no past experience to offer, but I have heard (and read, upon googling statistics for C-sections and interventions) that Hoag and Saddleback and both NOT very natural birth friendly.

I hate the "you're not a failure if you get an epidural" line.

I'm also gunning for a natural birth, but am going to either Mission Hospital where my OB Kathleen Pollock is--who, by the way, has been pretty accepting when I shared my natural birth desires--or, more likely, Palomar Health in Escondido since I live in San Marcos. I work in Lake Forest which is why I opted for an OB close to work, though. Complicated logistics, blah.

Anyway, Mission seems like out of the 3 in the area (Hoag, Saddleback, and Mission) it is statistically lowest in C-sections and interventions. How many weeks along are you?

Good luck!!

• My SIL had a "nutural" birth at Hoag last year. It was really important that she and her hubby be on the same page aka no drugs. If he hadn't been there she would have given in. They will always want you to do the drugs to speed things up, but keep asking for another hour, an as long as things are progressing safely, they will respect your wishes. It's not easy, but it is doable :) They will given you the pitocin after you deliver either way.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a natural childbirth (vaginal, unmedicated) at Hoag last year.  Prior to giving birth, it was my hope that I could have an unmedicated birth, but I also wanted to keep an open mind.  When we arrived at the hospital and checked at triage, I was 4 cm and the triage nurse asked if I wanted an epidural.  I said not yet and she didn't pressure me anymore.  In fact, she told me up front that she would not ask again but it was available if I wanted it.  A lot of woman were in labor that day so I didn't get into a labor room until I was 7-8 cm dilated.  As a result, most of my active labor was in a triage room with just my husband helping me through contractions.  

Once in the labor room, I met my L&D nurse and she remarked they don't see many woman doing natural childbirth.  She was supportive and even provided counterpressure during my back labor when my husband's hands got tired.  I was told that the anesthesiologist was going into a c-section and if I wanted an epidural, I had to have it now or it probably wouldn't happen.  I declined and it wasn't until I was 9 cm that the anesthesiologist came back in to ask if I wanted one.  

To summarize, neither the nurses, nor my OB pressured me in any way.  Whenever someone came in and discovered I was laboring naturally, they seemed surprised but had positive things to say.  It's not common, but it can be done.  I'd suggest you have a very good support system (significant other, doula, friend, relative) in place to help you through the contractions and to be your advocate when you may be too tired to make decisions for yourself in the moment.

You can do it!

• HI. Kathleen Pollock is my OB as well. While I don't have any experience with natural birth (I had my twins via c-section) I would have to agree that Dr. Pollock has always been very open and accepting of wishes. I love Dr. Pollock - she has great bedside manor and always made me feel very comfortable and cared for.
  • I am going to Beach Cities Midwifery because I am interested in a natural birth.  They have birth centers in Laguna Hills and Long Beach.  I love it so far because I know that I am getting great care by medical professionals while being in a more comfortable setting.  All of the midwives are CNMs and both locations are within 5 minutes of either Long Beach Memorial or Saddleback, which is where I would deliver if there are complications.  If you are interested in seeing a natural childbirth friendly OB and not a midwife, they could probably give you some names.  They have a long standing relationship with several natural childbirth friendly OBs that they work with and refer patients to who are not able to give birth at the birth center. Hope that helps!   
  • I delivered at Hoag last Thursday. I did end up getting an epi after I had labored for 11 hours and dilated to 8.5 cm. My cervix began to swell and the epi was suggested to allow the swelling to diminish and to avoid a C-Section.

We had hoped to deliver med-free. I forgot my birth plan but it didn't matter. We arrived at the hospital and told them we had taken Bradley classes and wished to avoid all drugs. They were respectful and no one offered me any meds at all until the swelling in my cervix became a problem. Since they knew I was doing Bradley, they did intermittent monitoring without me even having to ask.

I had amazing nurses and a terrific doctor; all of the staff was professional and sensitive to our wishes. My OB is Dr. Christina Lee.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"