July 2014 Moms

Daddy missing out?

So, I have state insurance and they assign a ob in your area. If you do not want to go to him/her, good luck just start calling around to see who will accept you as a new patient with that insurance.

Here is my annoyance. If I go to the girl I was referred to (very good reviews online) she has NO night/late or weekend hours. Which means, I'm going to have to ask off of work more then I planned to go to appointments (not a good idea with just starting this job) and the boyfriend cant make it, he works out of the area and doesn't have any time available now to take days off.

I have called about a dozen ob's and if they accept my insurance, they are not accepting new patients or have the same hours as first ob. He wants to be involved and IDK how to work around this..

Just my frustration of the day waiting on hold a dozen times....

Re: Daddy missing out?

• In my experience most OB's and doctors in general do not have night or weekend hours.  GL

March 2013: First TTC trip to RE, On 1500 mg Metformin, April 2013:  PCOS and Endometriosis, May 2013:  DH Low volume; Femara 7.5 mg + IUI #1 = BFN, July 2013: Femara 7.5 mg + IUI #2 = BFN, August 2013:  Femara 7.5 mg (X5) + Bravelle (X7) + Ovidrel + IUI #3 + Endometrin = BFP  MC at 5w3d,
    October 2013:  Follistim (X14) + Ovidrel + IUI #4 + Endometrin =BFP!!! 

• That sounds frustrating! With DS, the only appointments DH came to were when we heard the heartbeat and the first ultrasound. I know some couples go to every appointment together but personally, my DH would just end up bored.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • In my experience most OB's and doctors in general do not have night or weekend hours.  GL

I was going to say this also. I only found one and they do not deliver at the hospital I wanted to be at.

As a result, I don't think my husband will be coming to any of the ultrasounds because it is very hard for him to get off. It bums me out.

Will your SO have ANY time accrued in a few months to go to an ultrasound with you? His boss may understand and excuse it.

• redjan said:

That sounds frustrating! With DS, the only appointments DH came to were when we heard the heartbeat and the first ultrasound. I know some couples go to every appointment together but personally, my DH would just end up bored.

This is what we're planning to do. From what I understand, most of the appts are pretty unexciting so there's no point in my DHtaking off work to go to all of them.
                                                           photo Loss_zpse03013d0.png      image

Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker

• I agree that most office don't have night and weekend hours. This time around DH is only going to the first apt, the 20wk ultrasound and possibly one at the end depending how everything goes. The appointments are very unexciting and unless you really want him there, not necessary.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• I agree with the other posts, most of your appts will be waiting room, blood work and getting weighed.  No big deal if dad isn't there.  He can be involved in lots of other ways, bring him home u/s pics and any pamphlets they give you to look over, buy him a "dad to-be" book, talk to him about how your're feeling, etc.  It's not just the appointments that make them involved.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Sorry you don't have much choice in OBs, but maybe you could try getting a doula to support you at labor time if you don't get along with her. Most OBs are great people, but sometimes personalities just don't work well together.

Like other posters have said, the prenatal appointments are quite boring. Just weigh, pee in a cup, sometimes get blood drawn, measuring the belly and checking the heart rate.
    I only got two ultrasounds during my whole pregnancy but I was low risk, and the first one was just to date the pregnancy as I have really long cycles.

I think that going to birthing classes and breastfeeding classes and infant care classes were much better at getting DH involved in the process. Especially the birthing classes because there was a lot of supporting me and leading me through breathing exercises and practicing massage and counterpressure techniques. But they usually suggest you don't start till 28 weeks so you don't forget everything when the time comes.
    Maybe you could start a photojournal of the pregnancy and he can be the photographer. 

Married since 2007
    DS #1 Born July-2011
    DC #2 BFP Oct-27-2013 MC 5w3d
  • I mostly want him there for the first one, for the ultrasound and heartbeat.... I have a call into one last doctor to see if he will take me as a patient because he has Saturday and night appointments. crossing fingers!!

• My OB just has regular clinic hours: 9-430. Then when I go into labor, I will just have whatever OB is on at that time, I'm not guaranteed mine (unless it's a scheduled c/s). DH isn't coming to any appts but he'll (hopefully) take off the day of the anatomy scan. Hard to say, cuz February is busy season for him. I hope you find an OB that works for you!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I think those hours are common for most ob's. I know he wants to feel involved but mine only came to one appointment and that was the gender reveal where we paid and went somewhere else to find out early
  • Last time H only went to the A/S and I think my first appointment, because I was too sick to drive.  

• H commutes an hour to his job, so he probably won't be attending any appointments. Maybe one of the u/s. Does your H have a job where he can take a break and maybe skype or facetime? I plan to do a video call with H at least during the u/s, maybe the heartbeat checks. Those are the only really interesting parts, anyway. lol
  • I love the idea of a video call and never thought of that. Im so excited to say though, I found a doctor who will take me and schedule me on Saturdays (so grateful for my job aspects) and then boyfriend can come to the important visits!!!

• Wow, that's great!  I hope you like the doctor.  There are many more important aspects to choosing an OB than their office hours, but hopefully it all works for you.  I agree with what others said: most doctors don't have evening/weekend hours and the appt.s are pretty boring except u/s and first time hearing the heartbeat.  Otherwise, your bf will be bored out of his mind. :)  Glad everything worked out, though!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic imagephoto Candle_zps6cecf456.png 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Maybe he could try to plan to take off from work for 1-2 appointments where you know you will be getting an U/S? Like especially the anatomy scan? 

• Appointments, outside of the initial and maybe 3 others, are really fast, and really boring. My husband would strangle me if I made him take off of work for a 10 minute appointment once a month. 
  • I just want the ability for him to come to the important ones (not finding out sex- so probably just 2 or 3) and so that I can hide the pregnancy longer by having my appointments not during work hours and to have worst case possibilities of someone to drive me if im too big/sick 

• I've never heard of night or weekend hours, they don't do that here in podunk. I just tell work I have a doctor's appointment and stay later that day if necessary. My husband came to the ones that happened to fall on his days off since he doesn't have the flexibility I have.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"