March 2014 Moms
Options

Cyst in brain

I got a very scary email that my baby boy has a cyst in his brain. Doc said they're normal and should go away by birth but isn't offering and other sonogram or testing. I'm inly 20 weeks, so I have to now wait til birth to see if it's gone away...I'm so nervous and scared! Anyone else had this happen?

Re: Cyst in brain

• Options
    It is very, very, very common!  Usually they do schedule a follow up u/s to make sure they're going away but the cysts are generally a normal part of development and very rarely a cause for concern.  
    imageimage 
  • Options

So sorry for your scare, I do not have experience with it.  I would ask for a followup ultrasound and/or more information from my OB. Ts and PS for your LO and your peace of mind

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It is super scary, but as others have said it is very very common. Ask for a follow up u/s to check on the cyst. T&Ps.
    Married 11/23/11, TTC starting 10/12, BFP#1 11/30/12, Adoption of stepson finalized 03/19/13,Loss of our daughter at 20w4d due to incompetent cervix 03/27/13, BFP#2 06/28/13, DS2 born 3/1/14.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thank you for your T&Ps! It's reassuring to hear so many positive cases. I do think I'll contact for a follow up just for peace of mind. I appreciate your support! :)
  • Options
    My daughter had 3 of them at her 19w scan. They are called choroid plexus cysts and are almost always nothing to worry about. I was terrified when I found out she had them. My doctor did encourage me to look them up on Google because almost all the stories and articles said they were no big deal and they go away as baby continues to grow. Fwiw, we did have an ultrasound with MFM because of them, but at our regular scan the ultrasound tech couldn't get DD to turn so we could see her face or hands, and they wanted to see those to look for soft markers for some of the things CPCs are associated with. Physically she looked great except for the cysts, and I promise all 3 went away. I had to have another ultrasound at 28 weeks to check on my low lying placenta. If I had not had a low lying placenta they wouldn't have done another scan.

Fwiw, lots of my friends tolde they had gone through the same thing when they were pregnant with their kids. I know it's scary, but if everything else with baby looked fine, they are most likely nothing to worry about!

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

DD 1/3/2012
    BFP 5/21/2013 MC 5/24/2013
    BFP 7/16/2013 EDD 3/27/2014
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat, but both of my twins have them. I am an ultrasound tech, and found them before my doc. I agree it is scary, but every one I have scanned in my career has gone away! I'm 20 weeks, and go back in 2 weeks for another us.
  • Options
    My LO has them too, choroid plexus cysts. I was orinigally told id just get another ultrasound at 25 weeks but for some reason I then got a call that they're having me go for a level 2 ultrasound Monday to get a better look for anything else. I think it's an over precaution. Still unnerving though.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"