Potty Training
Options

3 1/2 year old and I need of help

I started out doing the three day method and we completed it. The problem is my son won't tell me he needs to go, so I just end up taking him every 30 to 60min. I'm at a loss on how to get him to tell me. Plus when he does go, I'm not sure if he is draining his bladder. After he stops, he usually does just one push one stream; I ask him if he has drained his bladder and he just wants to get off the potty. I'm paranoid about accidents. He starts preschool in 6 weeks and if he doesn't start telling when he needs to go, the school will want me to put him in pullups which I don't want to do. We switched to underwear except at night. We use a pullup at night but we call them "night pants". Please help me. What am I doing wrong.

Forgive my typos on my iPhone

Re: 3 1/2 year old and I need of help

• Options

How about just letting him go naked anytIme he is at home? That way there is nothing to catch the pee. Put the ball in his court and I bet he will get is after a few days if not sooner. It sounds like right now he doesn't have to worry about telling you since youa re taking him so frequently. Every 30-60 minutes is a lot especially for a 3.5 year old. They should be ale to hold their pee for a good 2-3 hours.

my DD does not like to be told what to do and we failed horribly at 3 day PT. I gave up after 1.5 days (she was holidng her poop too and constipation was not worth it). I just let her be naked anytime we,were at home and one month later she decided on her own that she was ready. Ever since she tells me when she needs to pee or poop. That was at 26 months. I know not all kids are ready that early and som eare ready even ealrier but at 3.5 I am fairly certain he should be ale to figure out when he needs to pee and tell you before he has an accident. It may take a few accidents to get there but better at home now than at school. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

If he is going to frequently he might not accumulate enough pee in his bladder to feel the sensation of needing to go in order to tell you. Also if he knows he can rely on you to tell him he needs to go he won't feel the need to be independent an initiate the conversation about needing to go.

Don't be afraid of accidents. They are a pain to clean up but, that way he'll know what happens if he doesn't tell you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Don't take him every 30-60 min.  Spread that time out and in between occasionally ask if he has to go... let him learn to feel what it's like to have to pee.  I think part of the 3 day method is not taking him in durations, but letting him wet himself so that he gets the feeling.  

• Options
    I agree with PPs, no pants and let him have the accidents.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"