May 2014 Moms

Paid maternity leave?

I saw the discussion on jobs and maternity leave and wanted to take it a step further. How common is it for companies to offer paid maternity leave? I'm a newspaper journalist and my company only offers what's covered under FMLA. 12 weeks, unpaid but I can use up my sick time (which isn't a lot). I'm a first-time mom so I have no clue how much time I should take off to physically recover and bond with baby, but the cut to my pay makes me feel like financially I'll have to go back to work sooner than I hoped. Any thoughts?

Re: Paid maternity leave?

• I think it is very hard to generalize what is common. In certain industries (law, finance) almost all firms offer at least some paid mat leave. And I'm surprised your paper offers nothing. My dad works at a paper and it offers 8 weeks paid plus unpaid time under FMLA.
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS - 2 years old
  • It depends where you live. In Australia I believe all workplaces offer paid maternity leave if you have been in continuous employment for a year and are employed on a part time of full time basis.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I have to use up my sick days. Luckily I have about 40.

BFP #1 March 24, 2010; missed m/c May 26, 2010 @ 12w 4d; D&E May 28, 2010

BFP #2 Oct 20, 2010; My little boy was born on July 5, 2011

BFP #3 April 30, 2013; Chemical Pg May 5, 2013

BFP #4 Aug 22, 2013; It's a boy.  Loss discovered at 24 weeks on Jan 15, 2014 (cause CMV virus)    

<3 We love and miss you Timothy <3

BFP #5 April 6, 2014; missed m/c May 15, 2014 @ 9 weeks; Misoprostol May 15, 2014; D&C May June 3, 2014

• The only paid leave I have is sick days too. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I only have unpaid leave, but I can use the few vacation and sick days I'll have after I take most of it for being sickvand appointments. I do have a short term disability plan that helps. I took 8 wks with DD and plan to do the same this time.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I did not get any paid maternity leave other than my accumulated pto and I am a so-called "professional" In a ggenerally well-paid field. In my experience, the only people I know who get paid maternity arw those that work for large employers and even then I think paid leave is probably the exception rather than the rule.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • I'm supposed to get my full pay for 3 months but I'm moving and will be working from home so I'm not sure how it's going to work out
  • I get 66% pay for 6 weeks (8 if c section). Anything else is unpaid.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I get short term disability that pays out 80% for 5 weeks for a vaginal delivery, 6 weeks at 80% and 1 week at 60% for a c-section. Technically, it's 6 and 8 weeks total, but the first 40 hours we have to use PTO. Then we can use any remaining PTO for the rest of the 12 weeks or take it unpaid. This time around I am going to have a lot less PTO built up, so that kind of sucks..

• As a teacher I can use sick/vacation days
  • In Ontario it's something like 55% of your salary that you will be paid through ei. And it seems mostly larger organizations like the hospital I work at will top that up to a certain percentage. Ill be topped up to about 90% of current salary which I certainly cannot complain about.
  • Im a police officer. We get up to 3 months of leave but we use our sick, vaca, or overtime hours. My hubby and I also have aflac which will help $ wise so if I decided to take more time it wouldnt hurt too bad. Does anyone else have aflac?
  • My employer gives 13 weeks 100% pay for maternity leave. And I can add my PTO or sick days to that if needed. I work for a financial company.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • CamrynnsMommyCamrynnsMommy member
    edited November 2013
    I worked for a small law firm with DD2, I had to use my PTO to cover maternity leave, unfortunately I didn't accumulate enough to cover 6 weeks, so I went back at 4 weeks. Or else I did not get paid.

imageimageimage

• I get 2 weeks of sick pay each year, which rolls over yearly up to a max of 320 hours or something like that. I also get 3 weeks of vacation yearly that we have to use within that year (anniversary date to anniversary date).  In 3 years, I should get 4 weeks of vacation.

We can use our short-term and long-term disability to supplement our pay while gone in addition to using our sick and vacation time.  However, there is no specific maternity package other than what is offered to FMLA.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• I work for the worlds largest retailer and the only pay I will get is my vacation and sick time I have accumulated... But that's ok since my anniversary date should fall within the time of my leave and I can use this years 2 weeks and next years also
    Pregnancy Ticker
    photo 60020120725ELE036.jpgphoto IMG_18642013130584_zps06545ab5.jpg
  • OMG in the UK we get it pretty good we get statuary maternity pay which is 90% pay for first 6 weeks then about £150 a week for 33 weeks then anything else is unpaid I'm taking a year off to bond with my first baby :)
  • I need 5 weeks to carry me to the end of the school year. I will get paid for 2 weeks.

• You said you were unsure of  how long it would take you to physically recover and bond with the baby.  That is sort of a tricky question.  My employer's standard mat leave is 6 weeks paid for vaginal delivery or 8 weeks for a c-section plus another 2 weeks of bonding time for either scenario.  After I had my son I felt that I could probably physically go to work and sit at my desk after two weeks (I had an uncomplicated vaginal delivery).  But, that doesn't take into account breastfeeding - my son didn't take a bottle until about 6 weeks so I couldn't really have left him before that.  My sister had a very complicated c-section which was followed by an infection and a follow up surgery.  I don't think she was physically well enough to even consider going back to work until about 12 weeks.  Baby bonding and when you feel emotionally ready to go back to work is a completely different story.  I went back to work after 12 weeks and it was extremely painful to leave my son - for months.  He is 17 months now and I still rush home at the end of every day to see him.  When I have a day where I don't see him (I leave for work before he gets up and rarely, but occasionally, don't get home until after he's in bed) pretty much still break my heart.  (They require a lot of looking at pictures and videos on my phone.)  But there are people who are really ready to go back to work at the end of their leave.  So... I guess it just really depends on you (physically and emotionally) and while you can plan for what you want to happen you just won't really know until the time comes.

BabyFruit Ticker

image       image

• Mine is unpaid, 12 weeks. Plus they will automatically pay all of what's left of my pto time, which doesn't acrue so once I go back I will be without any sick time or anything until my yearly anniversary comes around again (sorry, I just don't think that's fair, they should give me the choice of whether to use it or not). I have a short term disability policy through aflac that will pay me 6 weeks for vaginal delivery or 8 for c section. I plan on taking six weeks.
  • sweetky_06sweetky_06 member
    edited November 2013
    I'm in the tech industry and my employer's STD is 100% pay for the 6-8 weeks pp, + 3 paid weeks on top of that. We are covered by FMLA to protect our jobs, but I simply ask for additional unpaid time off.

My company doesn't track sick or vacation time, so I can't hoard it ahead of time to use, which is partly why they pay the extra 3 weeks.

Last time I was out 5 1/2 months, this time I think I'll take a total of about 4, which is about when I would have been completely comfortable coming back last time. I'm working on saving up enough money so that when I add it with my STD that I can cover the mortgage payment and DS #1 daycare (since he'll still go a few days a week while I'm on leave) for those 4 months.
    Married 08.06
    Started TTC 05.08
    Me: Stage II endo, borderline high FSH
    DH: perfect
    1 lap, 5 IUIs = 4 BFNs and 1 c/p
    2 IVFs, 2 FETs = 1 BFN, 1 c/p, 1 ectopic and finally a sticky BFP in May 2011!

1 FET in Aug 2013 = BFP! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • The US is the worst country with maternity leave policies.  When I had DS, I was only able to take FMLA and got 0 pay.  Since then, there has been a bit of a baby boom at work and some drama has stirred. It turns out some women were being paid and others weren't, so now they put a paid leave in place.  We get 1 week of 100% and 5 additional weeks at 60%. If we have short term disability, it will pick up the remaining 40%.  So, I will be paid 100% for 6 of the 12 weeks I take off with this one.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I think it varies from place to place and with each company. When I had DS, the place I was at didn't offer paid maternity leave - you could use sick/vacation time and then you got the 12 weeks FMLA but it was unpaid. All but 2 weeks of the 12 I took were unpaid. We saved the whole time I was pregnant to prepare for it.

This time, I'm at a different company, and they have a STD policy...so I should get paid 100% of my salary for 4 weeks, 60% for 2 weeks and then the last 6 weeks will be unpaid. We will save again but not as much since I will be getting a paycheck for some of the time.

BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• I believe I get 60% pay for 6-8 weeks and then after that I have to use my PTO. I'm trying to save up as much as I can! I plan on taking off 12 weeks.
    TTC since 10/11
    Me, 26- Normal. DH, 28- Low morphology (2-4%)
    August 2013 100mg Clomid+TI=BFP!
    Beta #1,2,3=136, 1351, 5328
    BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage
  • All I have/get is my saved sick days. I have 20. As long as I don't deliver too early, that should take me to the end of the school year. I think the hardest part will be going back to work in August after having spent the whole summer with my LO.

• Ours isn't specified as maternity leave.  We can take as many days/weeks as the doctor allows and they are paid as long as we have sick leave banked.  If you don't have the days, the leave is unpaid.
  • In most places in Canada exception Quebec, we get paid 12 months of ei at approx 50-55%, not a lot of companies top up. We also get an extra $100 per month per kid until they are 18. Its better then nothing :)
  • In most places in Canada exception Quebec, we get paid 12 months of ei at approx 50-55%, not a lot of companies top up. We also get an extra $100 per month per kid until they are 18. Its better then nothing :)
    Especially if by nothing you mean what many of the women on this board are getting. I'd trade mat leave policies with a Canadian (or Brit or <insert any other nationality in the world>) in a heartbeat.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"