October 2012 Moms
Options

Those who have weaned recently

How are you doing? Physically, emotionally, etc.?

J was fully weaned a little over a month ago (10 days after her first birthday). I actually feel guiltily awesome. Within a week of weaning she started STTN consistently, I have been able to diet and work out and have lost 7 pounds, and just generally feel at peace being me. Like I said I definitely feel like I shouldn't say this out loud, but breastfeeding was really draining for me and while I agonized over the decision to wean at a year, I am so glad I did it now. The first week was a little strange and hard for me but the next week I went to Mexico with my husband for a few days and since then no problems :)

I hope everyone else weaning in hanging in there!
DD 9/15/12

Re: Those who have weaned recently

• Options
    I am in the process and I already feel a LOT better. I also found it incredibly draining and hard on my body.
    I still am doing AM/Pm officially but he's just not interested in the AM feedings. 
    I do have what I think is a galactocele cyst. It feels like a lump from a clogged duct but it has been there for about a month. It's painless but very much so THERE.

If I have another and return to work I will probably stop BFing at 6 months. 

• Options
    I EPed but I actually had a hard time (oddly) weaning from the pump. It was an emotional attachment that I was providing Ds2 with the breastmilk even though nursing didn't work for us.

I feel good physically and mentally now. I enjoy splurging on a little extra wine, enjoy the extra time not pumping and working out more. Bumping and pumping is now Bumping and working out (elliptical)!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Just to clarify are you still working now? Did I miss something huge?
    DD 9/15/12
  • Options
    I stopped at 11 months because I couldn't pump at work and the fight to pump at work wouldn't have been worth it because I was barely getting anything. I was an emotional wreck. I had a lot of stressful stuff going on that I think contributed to that, but I think the hormones made it worse.

• Options

Just to clarify are you still working now? Did I miss something huge?

Oh no I mean if I work with 2 (3)kids
    I am still working and have no immediate plans for another.

• Options
    Slowly weaning, and can't wait til it's completely off.  I stopped pumping completely about 2-3 weeks ago.  I just stopped giving him his bedtime nursing tonight.  I am only doing AM and MOTN now.  I hate the process because LO still wants to nurse and everytime I drop a feeding I feel so engorged! 

Starry, I really really hope when he is weaned he will STTN!  I have been waiting and waiting...!!
  • Options
    Not even close to weaning but super jealous! She is just now upping her food intake so hopefully we can start weaning. I do not enjoy it anymore and its draining me. She never took a bottle and has never STTN. I'm exhausted and over it. I am glad nursing worked so well for her but I will not do it again especially this long for any future babies. I'll pump till I'm exhausted and then make the switch to formula without guilt. I'll be happier. On a related note I can not stand my boobs being touch anymore. Poor hubby
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @ck2md I did early on and my nipples would blanch too. It was very painful. It did go away with time but I can't say anything helped it.

• Options
    I have weaned to just am and pm. I feel good. I love not pumping at work. Nursing was much easier for me the 2nd time. However I hate the pump.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DS isn't 1 for another week, but I've started slowly weaning over the past 2 months. When he turned 10m, we went from 6x/ d to 5, then at 11m I dropped to 4x/d. Since we've been on scheduled feedings for a long time, DS doesn't ask for it, and he didn't seem to miss the dropped feedings.

I thought it would be hard to wean physically, but this past week my supply dropped significantly, so it seems like my supply will dry up quickly if I decide to stop. But emotionally I'm not ready yet, so as long as I'm still making some milk, I'll keep nursing him am and pm until end of the year.

I never imagined I'd make it to a year. I SAH so I guess it was easier than working moms like so many of you.  He didn't take a bottle since he was 3 months, so it was always some stress in the back of my mind... What if I got sick and couldn't nurse him etc. he does take BM from sippy cups now so at least I feel less guilty when I go out in the evenings.

DS is not a cuddler, so I will miss our morning sessions when he is completely weaned. As much as I'd love to sleep in, I do enjoy the quiet moments I get to spend with him every morning...
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • Options
    What kind of time frame are you all giving for this whole weaning process? I feel like its going to be slow for us since she is so attached to my boobs but I am setting a goal of 15 months to be done! Start the new year off right.
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind doing it but haven't done anything in order to start.
    Birthday

• Options
    @CK2MD I had vasospasms when I first started nursing. Taking calcium and magnesium supplements helped ENORMOUSLY, as did fixing LO's latch (a poor/shallow latch is usually what causes the vasospasms in the first place). Heat/hot compresses can also help!

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
  • Options
    What kind of time frame are you all giving for this whole weaning process? I feel like its going to be slow for us since she is so attached to my boobs but I am setting a goal of 15 months to be done! Start the new year off right.
    for me I feel like I have been almost forcing nursing on him for several months. He completely lost interest at about 8-9 months and really never went back to it. He has to be almost sleeping in order to do it. He really only does it willingly at bedtime. 
    So in that sense I suppose I am lucky. He's just not one of those babies that will do extended nursing. 

• Options
    My son gradually weaned off day feedings about a month ago.  Sometimes he nurses before a nap, but generally he isn't all too interested.  We do still nurse in the AM and PM.  I just made the bold decision to stop pumping this past Monday.  I was only pumping once a day and it was to provide bottles for him while I was away at work 1-2 nights a week.  While it worries me he will then decide to stop nursing before bed, I just don't respond to the pump well anymore and I am so tired of it all. It is just such a hassle.  I feel so independent now that I'm not pumping.  I plan on my son telling me when he is ready to stop nursing.  I'm kind of dreading the day.  It was a difficult road we started out on and we have come so far.  

BabyFruit Ticker

imageimage 

BFP 1/24/2012 - DS Born 9/22/2012 (11 days early!)
    BFP 2/15/2014 - CP 2/19/2014
    BFP 11/4/2014 - Due 7/14/2015
  • Options
    I took four weeks to wean. I dropped a feeding a week. Dd loved to nurse but never was the type to pull at my shirt. I just offered wcm to replace and she started eating more solids.
    DD 9/15/12
  • Options
    hpoff33 said:
    My son gradually weaned off day feedings about a month ago.  Sometimes he nurses before a nap, but generally he isn't all too interested.  We do still nurse in the AM and PM.  I just made the bold decision to stop pumping this past Monday.  I was only pumping once a day and it was to provide bottles for him while I was away at work 1-2 nights a week.  While it worries me he will then decide to stop nursing before bed, I just don't respond to the pump well anymore and I am so tired of it all. It is just such a hassle.  I feel so independent now that I'm not pumping.  I plan on my son telling me when he is ready to stop nursing.  I'm kind of dreading the day.  It was a difficult road we started out on and we have come so far.  
    With my first he was nursing morning and night at 19 months.  I was working 4 nights a week. He kept the bedtime nurse when I was home for about 6 weeks before giving it up. Also, I didn't pump when I wasn't with him and my suply adjusted just fine.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was hoping my kid would naturally start losing interest and self wean when she was ready but we just aren't there. She is claw at your shirt to find the boob baby. I think I am really going to have to work to get her weaned. If I wasn't so exhausted I would continue on and let her take the lead. At this point I feel like I'll be a better mom and person when I have control over my body again.
  • Options
    Can I ask - for those of you who weren't pumping, how are you going about weaning? I'm completely at a loss, but I am done. I want my body back. And I miss sleep. Ev is only 1 today, so I am going to start him on some WCM after his pedi appt tomorrow. Just looking for tips beyond that. 

And well done on making it so long ladies!! That is an accomplishment to be proud of.
    @ThisIsBrea - I SAH and DS doesn't take bottles. I nurse him on schedule instead of on demand - been doing this for many months now, so probably DS doesn't even know how to ask for it?  I used to nurse him am, pm, before & after each nap. So for many months, he was nursing 8x/day. When he dropped to 2 naps instead of 3, I automatically dropped him down to 6 sessions. (he STTN).  

We were on 6x/d schedule from 8m-10m, then at 10m I dropped 1 session (after 1st nap). At 11m I dropped another session (after 2nd nap). So we're now at 4x/day - am, pm, before each nap.  DS adjusted fine and did not seem to mind/miss the dropped sessions.

My plan is to go down to 3x/day when he turns 1 next week - will drop the one before 1st nap.  Depending on how he does with WCM and how quickly my supply tanks, I probably will go down to 2x/d (am/pm) after 2-3 weeks.  I'm tentatively planning to stop BFing completely by year end (DS will be almost 14m then).
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • Options
    @pb_bride: please keep us (me) updated on how it goes!! We are in a very similar situation WRT the times that we nurse, and I am also a SAHM and LO doesn't take bottles...I'm interested to know how your transition goes!

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
  • Options
    hpoff33hpoff33 member
    edited November 2013
    Wally3 said:
    hpoff33 said:
    With my first he was nursing morning and night at 19 months.  I was working 4 nights a week. He kept the bedtime nurse when I was home for about 6 weeks before giving it up. Also, I didn't pump when I wasn't with him and my suply adjusted just fine.
    I am definitely worried that by dropping the bottle at night when I work once a week, it may cause my son to drop that nursing session.  Of course it is my favorite one of the day, but I am adjusting by reading him a book now before he nurses.  Now that he loves books and is more engaged with them, I feel like this is a great way to stay connected to him when nursing has come to a close for the two of us.

BabyFruit Ticker

imageimage 

• Options
    Those of you who started dropping sessions during the day, was that after you had introduced WCM (or a substitute)?  My daughter has been drinking 6 oz of breast milk at daycare compared to the 10 to 12 she was taking before. We haven't introduced WCM yet so I haven't made a formal substitution to make up the 4 to 6 ounce difference (although I know they are not equivalent).  I'm wondering if others have done things in this order.  I don't dare drop one of my pumping sessions at work because I'm worried that I should formally add in WCM or something but that seems silly to me as well since she seems to be reducing her BM intake on her own and they are just tossing all the extra milk. 
  • Options
    Melidee82 said:
    Those of you who started dropping sessions during the day, was that after you had introduced WCM (or a substitute)?
    For me, it was after.  But I was giving him sips of WCM at 9months, then started mixing into the BM bottles at 11months.  When I dropped a pump session, I would simply replace that missing BM with WCM until I was completely off the pump.  I now nurse only MOTN and mornings, but it was rough road getting here.  LO was not ready to stop nursing but for work reasons, I needed to.  He is finally used to it now and gladly takes the bottle from me!
  • Options
    CK2MD said:
    Our DC requires her to be off BM/formula/bottles at 13 months, so we are working on a deadline.
    Wow, that is strict!  I am not sure how I would feel about that!  Why do they impose that rule?  I know most babies *should* be off bottles by 12months, but my LO had such a hard time with weaning that I am NOT about to wean him off the bottle so soon!  Plus, there are plenty of people who still would like to continue BM after 13months.
  • Options
    CK2MD said:
    JoNi2010 said:
    CK2MD said:
    Our DC requires her to be off BM/formula/bottles at 13 months, so we are working on a deadline.
    Wow, that is strict!  I am not sure how I would feel about that!  Why do they impose that rule?  I know most babies *should* be off bottles by 12months, but my LO had such a hard time with weaning that I am NOT about to wean him off the bottle so soon!  Plus, there are plenty of people who still would like to continue BM after 13months.

LO is at a Department of Defense-run Child Development Center, and they have a lot of inflexible policies. For example, we have to jump through hoops to give LO organic WCM. DC provides breakfast, lunch, and a snack, including milk. Before 13 months, you can bring BM or formula. Past 13 months, you are not allowed to bring your own food or drink without the signature of a physician or clergyperson. We had to get permission to bring in milk from home for our LO. I wish I were kidding... 
    Yikes!  I am strangely particular about what my daughter eats at daycare and I am constantly bringing in food from home when I don't like what they are serving.  Then I make all sorts of notes on her sheet in the morning about what they can and can't giver her from the menu.  I know the CDCs have a reputation for great care though and they are all NAEYC accredited, which is a bonus!  Glad you were able to work out the milk issue for yourselves.
  • Options
    CK2MD said:
    JoNi2010 said:
    CK2MD said:

LO is at a Department of Defense-run Child Development Center, and they have a lot of inflexible policies. For example, we have to jump through hoops to give LO organic WCM. DC provides breakfast, lunch, and a snack, including milk. Before 13 months, you can bring BM or formula. Past 13 months, you are not allowed to bring your own food or drink without the signature of a physician or clergyperson. We had to get permission to bring in milk from home for our LO. I wish I were kidding... 
    That is crazy strict.  I couldn't do that, I don't think.

My son naturally dropped nursing sessions during the day.  I just followed his lead.  He started nursing less and drinking fewer bottles of BM during the day.  I gradually reduced pumping and am now no longer pumping at all.  He still nurses in the morning, although these sessions have become much shorter, and he still nurses in the evening.  And I do get to nurse him occasionally before a nap here and there.  

BabyFruit Ticker

imageimage 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"