June 2013 Moms

Milk supply issues

I am a EPee and have been since about 8 weeks. My goal is to pump till Jan 1 then start weaning from the pump. Recently my milk supply has been dropping. I think my hormones are changing since I am starting to lose my hair, have been really moody and began spotting. I eat 2-3 lactation cookies a day, occasionally have a beer at bedtime and try my hardest to drink lots of water. I refuse to drink the teas or take supplements, but am looking for some suggestions to increase my supply. My routine is to pump 4 times a day and I cannot mentally add any more pumping sessions. I got a suggestion to try power pumping which I think is doable when LO is napping. Has anyone tried power pumping? Had success with it? Did you do 5 or 10 min sessions? TIA!

Here's my new fav pic as appreciation for reading! image

Also, why can I never delete my small image? I click on delete and nothing happens.

Re: Milk supply issues

• Hello,
    Just curious why you're opposed to drinking mothers milk tea or take supplements? They can be extremely beneficial for someone who is looking to increase supply.

In my experience people typically power pump over a weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) when LO has gone to bed. You can pump 10 min on, 10 min off, for an hour. It can help but so can easily eating a big bowl of oatmeal, or drinking tea!

Hope that helps
  • Eat oatmeal every morning for breakfast and see if that helps.

How much are you pumping with your 4 sessions? Could it be that your supply is just regulating?

((Also jealous that you only pump 4x a day... On days I work I pump 3x and bf 3 minimum))

How many bottles a day is your lo getting?
  • Loading the player...
  • I forgot to mention that I eat oatmeal about every other day. I would eat it every day but there are too many good breakfast options to be substituted with oatmeal.

The reason I'm not interested in supplements or tea... I'm not really looking to buy expensive supplements. I've heard the teas taste horrible and I don't think I could stomach them.

I pump for 15-20 min a session and get varying amounts depending on the time of day. Overnight I only get 5-6 oz now- I used to get 8-10 oz. During the day I get a little less than 1 oz per hr- I used to get 1-1.5 oz per hr. LO eats 6 bottles a day, 3.5-4 oz each time. I substitute 2 bottles a day with formula in order to freeze some milk. I'm barely producing enough to feed the milk bottles.
  • I'm not sure why you won't add another pump session. Your body will produce what it thinks it needs. If you only pump 4 times it would regulate down to that level. You're supposed to pump same # times as baby is feeding, so if your LO takes 6 bottles a day that'd be 6 pumps. :/ pumping sucks.
  • Achae said:

I'm not sure why you won't add another pump session. Your body will produce what it thinks it needs. If you only pump 4 times it would regulate down to that level. You're supposed to pump same # times as baby is feeding, so if your LO takes 6 bottles a day that'd be 6 pumps. :/ pumping sucks.

This. Your body is regulating itself to how much you are asking of it. More pumping sessions will increase your supply the best. I can understand how much it sucks - I was pumping 4x a day and nursing LO 4 x a day for awhile. Pumping just takes it out of you. But if you really want to increase your supply or keep up the ability to keep going, that's the best idea I've heard.

Otherwise, I've had good luck with oatmeal. I eat it every morning and. An definitely tell a difference once I started eating it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • How many ounces are you pumping per day with 4 sessions? I EP but I have to pump 5 times a day.

I do take fenugreek and drink the tea but I really like the taste of the tea too.

Make sure you are eating enough calories. I feel like I'm ravenous constantly so I eat a lot throughout the day. Are you working out? That can lower your supply.
  • Achae said:

I'm not sure why you won't add another pump session. Your body will produce what it thinks it needs. If you only pump 4 times it would regulate down to that level. You're supposed to pump same # times as baby is feeding, so if your LO takes 6 bottles a day that'd be 6 pumps. :/ pumping sucks.

WSS. You are asking for advice but you are shooting down what everyone says. These are the things you need to do to make more milk.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1: 6.26.12 EDD: 2.11.13 missed m/c: 7.31.12 @ 12 weeks
    BFP #2: 10.1.12 EDD: 6.11.13 Born 6.13.13
    photo 2546f8b6-17f6-4b55-b007-93a547c620b8.jpg

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I have read that your period normally makes your supply dip so this sounds normal.

Try the tea before you count it out. With honey and milk, it isn't bad. And please let us know if power pumping works.
    ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    imageimage
  • @kaleyandjason I appreciate all advice and help, and I don't want to give the perception that I'm not grateful for that. I guess I was mainly focusing on power pumping when I posted.

I'm going to really concentrate on increasing my water intake and also give power pumping a try. I'll post again and let you know if it works.

Any suggestions for ingredients or flavors to add to oatmeal? I like cinnamon sugar and syrup but want to branch out.
  • I posted just last week with the same issue.  I have had a small increase on my own just pumping all the time.  The tea...I can't do it.  I tried.  The taste made me throw up.  It's the licorice flavor I think. Even the smell. I've tried all I could to trick my mind that it doesn't taste like that and it's just not working for me.  I'm moving on to the supplements next. And the cookies. But in the meantime supplementing with formula is inevitable after this week. Sad but true.  And okay I guess since I'm going to continue getting all that I can for her during the work day and sending what I can get.

I also changed out my membranes which may also be responsible for the extra ounce increase I've noticed this week.

Good luck.  It stinks. I really find myself upset because I wanted to make the decision to wean because I felt that was what was right for LO and I.  But unfortunately my body is making that decision for me.  Feel your pain.
  • PSNLS said:
    @kaleyandjason I appreciate all advice and help, and I don't want to give the perception that I'm not grateful for that. I guess I was mainly focusing on power pumping when I posted. I'm going to really concentrate on increasing my water intake and also give power pumping a try. I'll post again and let you know if it works. Any suggestions for ingredients or flavors to add to oatmeal? I like cinnamon sugar and syrup but want to branch out.

I really like making baked oatmeal to mix things up a bit.  I can make a pan on Sunday and eat it all week.  I've used several of the recipes on this blog: https://joyinmykitchen.blogspot.com/.  The gingerbread version is pretty yummy!
    My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• Everything everyone said already but also a LC just suggested not pumping at the same time every day and instead varying it a little, even by a half hour. The idea being that your baby won't eat at the same time every day and you want your body to believe it's a baby it's feeding. I don't know if it'll help, I haven't tried yet but I thought I'd suggest it.

Also power pumping did help me, I did it 10 on 10 off for an hour each night for a while.
  • Not only how important it is to you, but what you feel you can handle.  Sometimes what's really important to us isn't always what we're able to do. Try not to feel guilty.  Do what you can do.
  • @Dmlk413 OMG!!! Your website suggestion just made me love oatmeal!!! Seriously... pumpkin spice granola, cinnamon roll baked oatmeal, caramel apple granola. Guess I'll need to buy another tub of oatmeal to feed this new addiction! Thank you!
  • Definitely up your water intake as much as you can. I notice a drop in my supply every weekend because I'm not as good about drinking water when I'm not at work. I know oatmeal can get boring for breakfast every day but have you tried overnight oatmeal? I really like it and its kind of "fun" to mix in new fruit/flavor combos.

I have done mothers milk tea and I don't think it tastes bad at all - but I also didn't notice a big difference in my supply either.

I would also suggest adding another pump session. I would also try adding a few minutes onto your current pumps. I find that I usually can get a second letdown if I go past 20 minutes. Also, I'm assuming you do hands on pumping? Breast compressions help me a lot. As does turning my pump up as far as it will go.

M/C 7/8/12

Perfect baby boy born 7/8/13

BFP 8/20/14 EDD 4/27/15 It's a GIRL!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"