February 2014 Moms

Birth Control after the baby.

2»

Re: Birth Control after the baby.

• karich said:
    I had mine taken out after 2 years and my Dr didn't even hesitate to take it out. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to have it taken out after 2 years. Can you link to some info?
    I think a PP was stating that she wants to have another child within 2 years.  Which would mean the IUD would only be in like a year or so, and so maybe that wouldn't make sense?  That's how I read it.  We might want to try again in a couple years, and I'm considering an IUD.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • I will definitely be going back on the pill after the baby.  Apparently my body is really sensitive to hormones because I have to be on a low dose pill.  I've tried Depo and various other BCPs and I spot constantly on them.  No fun!

As far as the IUD, I've never personally used it, but I have many friends that have.  Several people love it.  I have 2 friends, though, who have had SERIOUS complications with it.  With one friend it became imbedded, she was having horrendous pain and have to have emergency surgery to have it removed.

Birth control is pretty specific to the person, i.e. whatever works best for you.
  • Loading the player...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

• L12541 said:

karich said:

I had mine taken out after 2 years and my Dr didn't even hesitate to take it out.
    I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to have it taken out after 2 years. Can you link to some info?

I think a PP was stating that she wants to have another child within 2 years.  Which would mean the IUD would only be in like a year or so, and so maybe that wouldn't make sense?  That's how I read it.  We might want to try again in a couple years, and I'm considering an IUD.

You might be talking about me, and if so, then yes, this was my reasoning :-)

A couple friends have had IUDs put in and taken out, and from what they said, it isn't very pleasant. I think it will be a good option for me when I am done having kids, but I do not want to go through the process multiple times if I can help it.

Did your friends have children prior to insertion? Once your cervix opens for childbirth, it never totally closes up again, making it much easier for insertion and removal. My cervix must be really stretched out because I didn't feel it going in or coming out! :)
  • karich said:
    L12541 said:
    karich said:
    I had mine taken out after 2 years and my Dr didn't even hesitate to take it out. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to have it taken out after 2 years. Can you link to some info?
    You might be talking about me, and if so, then yes, this was my reasoning :-)

A couple friends have had IUDs put in and taken out, and from what they said, it isn't very pleasant. I think it will be a good option for me when I am done having kids, but I do not want to go through the process multiple times if I can help it.
    Did your friends have children prior to insertion? Once your cervix opens for childbirth, it never totally closes up again, making it much easier for insertion and removal. My cervix must be really stretched out because I didn't feel it going in or coming out! :)
    That's what I was reading online, if you didn't have previous children the process could "hurt". But if you did it was easier to place!

• mdr619 said:
    I will definitely be going back on the pill after the baby.  Apparently my body is really sensitive to hormones because I have to be on a low dose pill.  I've tried Depo and various other BCPs and I spot constantly on them.  No fun!

Birth control is pretty specific to the person, i.e. whatever works best for you.
    This. I tried Seasonale (sp?) and spotted for 6 months straight before I gave up and went back to ortho tri cyclen. My skin is clearer and I lose weight and keep it off when I'm on it. DH is getting a vasectomy too when LO is 6 months old. This is our last child. So I think I will be super extra protected
    :D
    Glad it's not just me!  I've had lots of luck with Ortho tri cyclen and Necon.
  • yep, it's for insurance purposes that I'm concerned. I know t ons of people who've had them out before 5 years, no medical reasoning, just not paying for it completely out of pocket the 2nd time.
    Suzy & Brian November 3, 2007 "...this one time, at band camp..." ;-)
    TTC #1 since 9/2012
    BFP #1 2/16/13, EDD 10/13/13, CP 2/21/13
    BFP #2 6/2/13
    Baby J-Bug 2/8/14 My Wedding Bio from back in the day
  • We use NFP and find it very effective. I am considering buying a fertility monitor for the difficult PP period, but find that once my cycles return to normal, I can use NFP very effectively.
    I really wish this was an option for us.  Unfortunately, I have long, wacky cycles that are difficult to chart/track.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • I used implanon after my son was born. It's a small plastic rod that's inserted into your arm and stays there for up to three years. I loved it. I didn't get periods and if I did they were super light and I didn't have to remember to take a pill. I took it out when we decided to TTC this time around and it was really easy.
  • I'm in the NFP camp. We used it before we got pregnant, and I know we plan on using it again. I think for the PP time where my cycle can me wacky, we will use condoms.  I know some people just think NFP is charting your temp, but it's more than that, I charted my temp, cervical mucus, and then any other symptoms that I noticed, (like if my breasts were sore, head aches, increase or decrease sex drive and so on)
     ***********************************************************************************************
      blogbutton badge!!!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • wheathergirlwheathergirl member
    edited November 2013
    Ok insurance and discomfort. that makes sense. Thanks! :)
  • armalan12 said:
    For those of you who use NFP, what resources do you recommend I look into? I would maybe like to do this in addition to the mini pill (progesterone only pill).
    I think "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" is a good book to learn more about NFP.

• L12541 said:
    armalan12 said:
    For those of you who use NFP, what resources do you recommend I look into? I would maybe like to do this in addition to the mini pill (progesterone only pill).
    I think "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" is a good book to learn more about NFP.
    Taking Charge of your Fertility is a great book. I also use Fertility Friend.  I leaned about NFP while wedding planning. MY church had H and I go to a class on it. 

***********************************************************************************************
      blogbutton badge!!!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I don't have the self control to use NFP as birth control.

I hate condoms and like daily sex.

image image

• armalan12 said:

TCOYF is a great book, and I loved my iPhone app called Kindara. It was free and so easy to use (sales pitch?). It also had great resources for women with PCOS, comparing charts, and asking for someone to look over your charts for you. Pretty neat.

I recommend TCOYF for every woman, even if she doesn't want to use NFP or if she wants two dozen kids or none.

The book is great.

image image

• armalan12 said:

TCOYF is a great book, and I loved my iPhone app called Kindara. It was free and so easy to use (sales pitch?). It also had great resources for women with PCOS, comparing charts, and asking for someone to look over your charts for you. Pretty neat.
    I recommend TCOYF for every woman, even if she doesn't want to use NFP or if she wants two dozen kids or none.

The book is great.

I agree. I was honestly pissed off at my school health teachers for not teaching us the reality of our cycles! I cannot believe how little I understood about my body before reading that book. I explained it to my mom and she was shocked at how uneducated she was as well. It makes so much sense now.

• Meh, DH and I discussed it and we're just going to do condoms after this since we're planning on having #2 within a couple years or so. Half the time I was on BCPs we used condoms anyway for quick clean up. If we feel like getting a little fast and loose with it after a while, I'll probably use NFP as a backup. I have super regular period and charting was easy for me, but who knows if it'll really stay that way after DD is born.
    Batman_dickbutt photo 328_batmansmall.jpg

Feb. 2014 Moms January Siggy Challenge: Cute & Clumsy Animals
    Maru!
  • inluv4life2inluv4life2 member
    edited November 2013

As a F/U to my Mirena response, I had no period almost the entire time (BF or not). It felt no worse than a pap smear/pinch going in and I felt NOTHING when removed. I do have friends that felt pain with insertion but I think they both had titled uteruses or something similar.

ETA: I also recommend TCOYF whether you use it for planning or just for knowledge. It is awesome!

I hope to create a real siggy but first I need some sleep!

Mom to Lily and Colin!
  • I don't think we would have gotten pregnant if it wasn't for TCOYF. I learned so much but not sure if I will rely on it NFP to avoid pregnancy unless I was very confident of my cycles. I think it still needs to be supplemented with other options for me to be 100% confident.
  • I'm glad to see so many ladies with varied responses- but dear lord y'all - THANK YOU to everyone that no one has said 'you can't get pregnant as long as you're BFing' !
  • I had Paragard after DD was born. I was on the pill previously and didn't like how the hormones made me feel. I didn't get a period until about 10 or 11 months. I was breast feeding. After that my period was heavier than it has ever been. I didn't like that too much. I will be getting it again this time.
    Abigail Grace 9/7/10
    Nathaniel Willis born sleeping 2/6/14
    Felicity Hope 4/6/15

• mythaldo said:
    Meh, DH and I discussed it and we're just going to do condoms after this since we're planning on having #2 within a couple years or so. Half the time I was on BCPs we used condoms anyway for quick clean up. If we feel like getting a little fast and loose with it after a while, I'll probably use NFP as a backup. I have super regular period and charting was easy for me, but who knows if it'll really stay that way after DD is born.
    FWIW once my cycle came back, it was like clockwork again. Some women have wonky cycles, but in theory it should return to normal.  Pg/childbirth/BFing delayed the return but didn't effect the actual cycle pattern.

imageimage
  • Is anyone thing of getting their tubes tied??
    I was going to talk to the dr today about it but she seemed busy and I have time.
    I'm just done with the whole mess, I have PMDD and was hoping it would help.

imageimage
  • Is anyone thing of getting their tubes tied?? I was going to talk to the dr today about it but she seemed busy and I have time. I'm just done with the whole mess, I have PMDD and was hoping it would help.
    When we're done having kids, the only reason I would consider getting my tubes tied is if I were already having a C-section and they could do it all at once.  Otherwise, DH will get a vasectomy, since that's a much less invasive surgery.

• Is anyone thing of getting their tubes tied?? I was going to talk to the dr today about it but she seemed busy and I have time. I'm just done with the whole mess, I have PMDD and was hoping it would help.
    My sister had hers done during her last C-section since it was easy enough to do while they were in there. But she still gets her period every month, the only difference is that the egg doesn't get down to where it can be fertilized (and likewise for the sperm), all her hormones still work the same. So I'm not sure it would make a difference for PMDD... it doesn't send you into early menopause or anything.
    Suzy & Brian November 3, 2007 "...this one time, at band camp..." ;-)
    TTC #1 since 9/2012
    BFP #1 2/16/13, EDD 10/13/13, CP 2/21/13
    BFP #2 6/2/13
    Baby J-Bug 2/8/14 My Wedding Bio from back in the day
  • I had the implanon transplant (little bar in your arm lasts 5 years, kinda cool that you can freak people out) but other than the weirdness of it I do NOT reccomend it!! I gained 40 lbs in 2 months!!! And have had trouble with my weight since. I had it taken out after 3 months...
    I don't plan on using anymore BC. I won't remember pills and don't feel comfortable with something shoved up there...
  • Mini Pill after DS and stayed on it until we started trying with baby2.  I liked it, it was a low dosage so it didnt' really affect me, but it was annoying to remember what time to take it every day!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"