January 2013 Moms

Hearing Loss in an Infant

Staring at around 4 months, could have been earlier, my son started responding to his name. He'd turn my way after saying his name once or twice. Now when I say his name it seems as if he can't hear me. He continues doing what he was doing and doesn't even recognize that I'm there next to him.

Every now and then I get the ear wax out of his ear, if there's build up, I put him to sleep with white noise every night and sometimes I get water in his ear when I rinse his hair out. Could my son be suffering from hearing loss? I'm going to have his ears checked at his 9 month check up but I'm a little worried...

Re: Hearing Loss in an Infant

• I think something like this is difficult to diagnose on your own. Definitely bring up your concerns to his doctor and they can better determine. My H thought DS had issues too...but it turns out he was just too occupied to turn and acknowledge his name being called. 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• jobiann said:
    I think something like this is difficult to diagnose on your own. Definitely bring up your concerns to his doctor and they can better determine. My H thought DS had issues too...but it turns out he was just too occupied to turn and acknowledge his name being called. 
    All of this.  Bring up your concerns to your Dr. but it is most likely an over reaction.  Sometimes DD is way too busy exploring things to notice that we are trying to get her attention.  
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Loading the player...
  • I also agree with PPs that it is very hard to determine at home if there is a hearing loss. You can get his hearing screened like his newborn screening if you're worried about it though.

I, personally, went deaf in my right ear when I was 4 months old.... I had meningitis. I can hear fine from my left so my mom didn't know until my first hearing screen in school. Like @kittynap I love being able to roll over and shut out the world to sleep, lol!

When DS hit 4 months old I was SOOOO paranoid over him getting sick/going deaf, like it's some magic age or something. Now that he's older and exploring more he definitely acts deaf.... aka, too busy to give his mom an oz of attention. It's most likely nothing, but it doesn't hurt to get it checked out with a doctor. Good luck!
  • If you make a loud noise, does he react at all? Like if you drop something? I agree with pp's, don't get yourself too worked up just yet. Hoping and praying everything is alright for you.

**Nestie Besties with Deutschefairy**

Diagnosed PCOS '03, TTC #1 Since March '09
    BFP - 10/20/10, M/C - 10/29/10
    June 2011 - 50mg Clomid = No O
    Dieted and exercised my butt off for PCOS = BFP 5/7/2012
    Due 12/29/2012
  • Hollylb3 said:
    If you make a loud noise, does he react at all? Like if you drop something? I agree with pp's, don't get yourself too worked up just yet. Hoping and praying everything is alright for you.
    Now that I think about it yes...he does react. I won't assume the worst but I will definitely have his little ears looked at during his next check up.

Thanks Mommies!!

• All states have a program called the Early Hearing Detection and Intervention (EHDI). Their websites have a lot of good information and resources. I don't know ehat state you live it but I worked for the Wyoming EHDI program for a few years and I know their site has great stuff on it. Wyomingehdi.org. A lot of states also have free screenings for children.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image  image

• jobiann said:
    I think something like this is difficult to diagnose on your own. Definitely bring up your concerns to his doctor and they can better determine. My H thought DS had issues too...but it turns out he was just too occupied to turn and acknowledge his name being called. 
    We had this same fear with DS#1.  We actually went in and had his hearing tested right around 10 months or so.  Turns out he was (and is) just really good at ignoring us!  Now it's obvious that he hears just fine, but as first time parents we were so worried!
    Jonathan Jeremy~12/02/2010,  BFP#2~M/C @ 11wks 4 days,  BFP #3~CP @ 4 wks 3 days,  
    Simon Randall~01/29/2013, Grayson Paul~10/03/2014
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Oct'14 January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails 

• My parents were convinced my brother was deaf as a baby.  They could sneak up behind him and yell or loudly rattle keys and he wouldn't even bat an eyelash.  They had him tested and the pediatrician diagnosed him with selective hearing.  Turns out he just didn't care what they were up to and was more entertained by whatever he was doing at the time.  He can hear just fine. 

Have him tested for peace of mind but it sounds like this might be pretty common. 

• they don't typically know their name at only 4 months old so if he looked at you when you said it, he was probably just responding to your voice.  Now he is used to you and your voice and probably amused by whatever he is working on and too busy to turn to look at you.  Selective hearing starts young lol  I hightly doubt it has to do with his hearing, sounds pretty typical.
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We were in the same boat, and for us, we were right. Dd was just diagnosed with moderately severe hearing loss in both ears. I hate that we waited so long to check. Somehow she slipped through the cracks of the newborn screening : ( We have a lot of catching up to do now. She's so alert that we really were able to convince ourselves that she did hear. She also startled to loud or sudden sounds. We have a 2 yr old boy who is LOUD, so we just assumed she was used to him screaming all the time and ignored us, and to be honest, he did the same thing and his hearing is fine. I insisted on waiting a month or so to see what happened. I wish I hadn't.  She should be getting her hearing aids this week and for the first time will really hear my voice.

If you truly are concerned, I would see an audiologist (your pedi can do nothing and mine told me to wait til a year b/c she's probably fine--TERRIBLE advice). Even minor hearing loss can affect speech and language development. For the vast majority, it is likely nothing. But it does happen. Our ENT said a parent's intuition is one of the #1 ways this is caught and diagnosed if missed on the newborn screen. It affects about 1-3/1,000 babies.

imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • It's a bit hard to diagnose on your own. Something as simple as an ear wax buildup can also affect hearing. Definitely discuss with your Dr. to rule out ear wax build up or an ear infection. If you still have concerns, ask for a referral to a paediatric audiologist who can test your LO's hearing and tell you definitively if there is a hearing loss present or not. Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"