October 2013 Moms

Re: Baby Led Feeding

• Options
    Yep. Lots of people on my first BMB did it and were very happy they did. I think we'll do a combination this time. Last time I made my own baby food so BLW would cut out some of the work of making the food. Plus, with BLW she'll be able to eat with us at the table rather than needing to be fed baby food while I'm supposed to be cooking dinner.

My food & craft blog: Fraises et Tartines

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #2: 9/29/12; EDD 6/8/2013; m/c 10/5/2012

BFP#3: 1/29/13; EDD 10/5/2013 - Baby Claire arrived 10/6/2013
  • Options
    I thought I sounded cool but was not sure about it and wanted to hear some different thoughts. I think a combination is a good idea.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's interesting. Although it seems so early. We were told breast milk for a year and nothing else. Not sure we will wait that long, but depends on DDs progress.
    April2014 Siggy Challenge - Bunnies
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• Options
    I know several people that did BLW and it worked great for them.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Jalee85 said:

That's interesting. Although it seems so early. We were told breast milk for a year and nothing else. Not sure we will wait that long, but depends on DDs progress.

I thought it was early also. They said they started at 4 months and I thought you shouldn't introduce solids until 6 months but I'm not sure that is right either.
  • Options

Jalee85 said:

I thought it was early also. They said they started at 4 months and I thought you shouldn't introduce solids until 6 months but I'm not sure that is right either.
    I would definitely be more comfortable at 6 months, but I may have to ask my Pedi about it. Overall, I liked the premise of letting them learn at their own pace.
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• Options
    Oh I didn't see that (didn't read the article). Yea, 4 months is too early for BLW (and all solids, IMO). We started solids with DS at 4 months after the pedi told us to so that we could "hide" his Zantac in applesauce. It was a huge mistake. He started getting constipated immediately after starting solids and has struggled with constipation ever since. We will be waiting until 6 months with DD.

My food & craft blog: Fraises et Tartines

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #2: 9/29/12; EDD 6/8/2013; m/c 10/5/2012

BFP#3: 1/29/13; EDD 10/5/2013 - Baby Claire arrived 10/6/2013
  • Options
    We plan to try this after 6 mos., but not sooner.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     BFP #1: 3.2.13 | EDD: 10.21.13 | Born: 10.25.13
     BFP #2: 9.9.14 | EDD 5.13.15 | MC: 9.24.14
    BFP #3: 1.4.15 | EDD 8.23.15
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    SnoopyLuv said:

Did it with DD1 and will with this LO. We started solidsvat 5.5 months. Never did spoon feed a puree. Its the absolute easiest and laziest way to feed a child so I was all over it.

I'm all for easy and lazy so this is definitely something I've been thinking about doing with my LO.
  • Options
    We did the purée thing for about a week or two before saying screw it. I hated making purées. DD was not particularly find of them. I didn't want to pay for them. So on to blw we went. Best. Decision. Ever.

I confess I didn't read any books about it. To me it was just "old school". I use common sense and a lot of what I learned from other ladies doing it on my bmb.

It was so easy though. With dinner, I'd just put aside some unseasoned veggies that I cooked a little longer. Or cut off a piece of meat to cook before the rest was seasoned. I never made her separate meals. I just made her what we were having with a few modifications as needed. It was so nice not having to sit down and soon feed her only to have to turn around and feed ourselves. She are when we ate and was a rock star at it. I also believe it helped with finger dexterity.

A tip if you do it: have some chopped veggies ready to go in the freezer. I used my old purée trays and placed chopped veggies in the squares. Filled with water and froze. When I needed a quick bite for DD, I would just pop one in the microwave. Super fast and simple.

The only people that didn't seem to like it on my bmb are the ones that over thought it. Keep it simple and you'll be fine. Remember, most solids before one year are just for practice. Their main source of nutrition should still be BM/formula.
  • Options
    I wanted to do it last time but my MIL was watching DS1 2 nights a week for me and it totally freaked her out (I swear if she could chew his food and spit it in his mouth to this day she would). Everything I read said you had to go all or nothing or else it wasn't safe. I'm on the fence about it this time.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Jalee85 said:

Does you daughter have special feeding issues? I have never heard of any recommendation to feed exclusively breast milk for the first year... In fact, our pediatrician recommends starting a wide range of veggies and fruits at four months, but definitely no later than six months, to decrease the likelihood of food allergies.

Our 20 month old daughter ate tons of veggies and fruits starting at 4 months and she is pretty much the best eater ever now. She eats Brussels sprouts, kale, spicy stuff, anything that we eat. We did do some purees, but also would shred some meat and give more bulky foods to gnaw on.

If you do BLW, it is important to at least read about it enough to know what shapes to cut the food into to minimize choking risks.
  • Options

We did it on accident and LOVED IT - here is my blog about it from back in the day ;)

https://pickles-and-onions.blogspot.de/2012/04/baby-led-weaning.html

• Options
    Breastmilk only for a year?  That's a new one.

We did baby lead feeding with DS1 and loved it.  Will absolutely do it this time around, too. 

image"">Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I love BLW, both my girls have done it and it has worked for us. I will do it with this LO as well somewhere around 6 months.

Just a warning it drove my mother nuts we didn't feed the girls purees. She would even make the purees and I would put them in the freezer and never get around to using them. When she finally lectured me on how to feed my kids I sent her information about BLW and that got her to stop. So you may need to defend your choice to others. I would just make sure to have a book or a reputable website or two to back you up.

Of course this is now the grandma that feeds my kids pop tarts, chewy fruit snacks, and fruit loops without seeing the issue. But that is a completely different thread topic.
    Charlotte 12.3.09
    Madeline 6.24.11
    Eleanor 9.30.13
  • Options
    Did BLW with DD1 and it was great. We started making purées at 6 months but she hated them and would spit them out. So we moved on to law and it has worked great for us, we will do BLW with DD2 too.
  • Options
    I am loving all this feedback. I think I might have to try this with DS when he gets older and I am all about not having to have "special" foods for him. I am glad also my MIL is fine with all my parenting choices and lets me do my own thing.
  • Options
    My 2 cents:

Babies don't start eating the way we think they will. I started with BLW and was super stressed that she wasn't really eating. It took some time for her to learn to eat. In that time, I ended up giving some purees. But that's why you start around 5 or 6 months. They don't NEED the nutrients in food (as opposed to breast milk) until maybe 9 or 10 months so it gives them time to learn.

We gave DD the same food we were eating - spices and all. We started with veggies and we've never had a problem with her eating vegetables.

People will definitely be horrified by BLW. And those same people (ahem, grandparents) will feed your child cookies and lollipops all day, with no other food, when the same kid is 2.

Frozen veggies were a lifesaver for me. I'd get cut up butternut squash or peas (when DD was a little older, not right away) and just toss it in the microwave for a few seconds. Saved SOO much time and energy!

DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • Options
    pmarie33pmarie33 member
    edited November 2013
    With DD, I did a mix of BLW and homemade purée starting around 5-6 months. We did full BLW at 9-10 months. She didn't get her first tooth until 1yo.

• Options
    This is my favorite resource on BLW if anyone is interested:

https://baby-led-solids.blogspot.com/p/guidelines-for-implementing-baby-led.html

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Options
    pmarie33 said:
    With DD, I did a mix of BLW and homemade purée starting around 5-6 months. We did full BLW at 9-10 months. She didn't her her first tooth until 1yo.
    I did this with DD as well without knowing it was a thing (except I used store-bought purees- oh, the horror!  Sorry everyone, but as easy as I know it is to make my own, I had no time to fiddle with steaming/blending/freezing fruits and veggies).  

She got her first couple teeth around 4 months, so by the time she was 6-7 months she was eating one puree at dinner time along with a couple solid foods each meal.  I started with plain elbow mac, mixed veggies, and then introduced ground beef or shredded chicken a month or two later.  By the time she was 9-10 months old, we were pretty much just giving her the same thing we were eating for dinner.  DD has never been a picky eater and I think it's because we did introduced food this way.  My MIL drove me nuts though, because she was so paranoid about DD choking all the time- every time that kid coughed while eating she would jump out of her chair and run over to her.  Can't wait for that to start again at Sunday dinners!
    m/c 9/22/07 at 8w5d...BFP 12/23/07! DD born 9/4/2008, BFP 2/14/13...DS born 10/22/2013 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We did this too. We are doing it again with this baby. 
    Emily & Alex imageimage
  • Options
    We love did it and will do it again. For months is very early. It should be done at 6months, when baby can sit up.

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @sooner1981
    No, we don't have any special feeding issues. This was the recommendation given to us during our breastfeeding class. They said to not even give water or anything, and I thought it was pretty extreme. I had always thought about introducing different foods at 6 months. I still need to ask for my Pedi's opinion. I just know it's a ways off, so haven't worried to much about it yet.
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• Options
    I'd never heard of this, thanks for the info sounds very interesting!
  • Options
    Yup we did this with dd when she was 6.5 mos old. BLW is so easy, I wouldn't do it any other way.

• Options
    This is very intriguing! I will have to look into more guidelines with respect to how to do this!
  • Options
    Jalee85 said:

BM is the main source of nutrients for the first year. Solid foods can be introduced earlier for practice, essentially. "Food before one is just for fun."
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    To the pp who said to be ready to defend yourself with a reputable source...sorry, but no. If you're confident in your decision you won't feel the need to defend yourself to anyone.

FYI...most people were very supportive and thought it was neat w didn't so purées.
  • Options
    @ClaireOtoms
    Well what they are saying is exclusively breast milk for 1 year. They want you to nurse for a year minimum, but they encouraged going as long as you are able or until baby self weans.
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• Options
    Jalee85 said:
    @ClaireOtoms Well what they are saying is exclusively breast milk for 1 year. They want you to nurse for a year minimum, but they encouraged going as long as you are able or until baby self weans.
    Yeah, I get that.  It just seems like a long time to wait to introduce solids. 

image"">Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Jalee85 said:

@ClaireOtoms
    Well what they are saying is exclusively breast milk for 1 year. They want you to nurse for a year minimum, but they encouraged going as long as you are able or until baby self weans.

I agree, and was shocked this was recommended.
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• Options
    Jalee85 said:
    Jalee85 said:
    @ClaireOtoms Well what they are saying is exclusively breast milk for 1 year. They want you to nurse for a year minimum, but they encouraged going as long as you are able or until baby self weans.
    Are you sure they just didn't mean liquids? That's not a recommendation from any credible pediatric medicine source. I am almost 100% they mean no cow's milk or juice vs no foods.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Options
    SnoopyLuv said:

Jalee85 said:

Jalee85 said:

@ClaireOtoms

Are you sure they just didn't mean liquids? That's not a recommendation from any credible pediatric medicine source. I am almost 100% they mean no cow's milk or juice vs no foods.

Hopefully, I misunderstood her. I thought it sounded crazy as well. I asked my DH what he recalled her saying but he wasn't much help...lol
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"