1st Trimester
Options

Working night shift

I work 12 hour night shifts and by the time I get off work I'm feeling so nauseous and tired.. I get home, climb in bed and lay there waiting for my morning sickness to subside so I can sleep.. Sleep for an hour, toss and turn for four, sleep for an hour, wide awake! It's frustrating and makes going to work almost unbearable! How do u girls do it?!

Re: Working night shift

• Options
    Do you eat anything before going to bed? Sometimes m/s nausea gets worse with an empty stomach. If this is the case, try a few crackers and some water...or a few sips of ginger ale/ginger tea might settle your stomach.
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • Options
    24karat24karat member
    edited November 2013
    Duplicate post...stupid mobile phone
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat.  I work nights M-F and it sucks because it's hard to sleep during the day for me.  I'll sleep for a couple of hours, wake up, go back to sleep for maybe an hour, up until a few hours before work and take a short nap before going in.  No fun.  What definitely helped me was eating a little something before going to sleep.  Trying to sleep on an empty stomach was really hard and made me feel worse.  Plus, if you've eaten, the blood in your body will go from your head to your stomach to digest food and make you sleepier.  Hope that helps!
  • Options
    Honestly I don't know how you ladies do it. I am in total awe with 12 hour shift pregnant ladies. When I was pregnant with DD and had bad all day morning sickness, it took everything I had to get out of bed, show my face at work for 8 hours, go home and sleep until I had to go to work again. Never have I been so glad to have flexible hours because I normally worked 12-14 hour days and there's no way I could have done it in the first tri. So I just want to say you guys are amazing and wish you luck.
  • Options
    Small frequent meals throughout ur shift every 2 hrs or so. Although sometimes the life of a labor nurse doesn't allow this ;) do ur best. I also take a benadryl and eat before bed.
  • Options
    I eat several small snacks when possible at work (labor nurse also) but I still feel like dying at work I'm soo sleepy! I wear sea bands, suck on preggy pops when it's bad and I take unisom before bed..
  • Options
    I work twelves and I have always been a night shifter. I find eating a few times at work helps and eating before I go to helps a lot!
  • Options
    And when all else fails take to your doc. Maybe there is something that can help you. But I would definitely try some of the above posters suggestions first.
  • Options
    I worked 12 hour nights through out my first two pregnancies.  Like previous posts said, eat a small breakfast before you go to bed.  If it makes you feel any better, I am on day shift now and I don't sleep any better at night than I did during the day while pregnant.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"