Parenting after 35

Im about to turn 38, and I have a HARD time keeping up with DD

Its like Im worn out lol!  She is a very strong willed 26 month old and the only thing to get her attention is time out.  But dang I feel like we have to do that alot through out the day she WILL NOT listen to anything!  What am I doing wrong??  TIA!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

Re: Im about to turn 38, and I have a HARD time keeping up with DD

• She is 2 and it won't get any easier for a bit yet.  Just be consistent, give choices so she feels like she is part of making decisions but keep it simple - which of these 2 tops do you want to wear?  Do you want to walk to the park or ride the stroller to the park?  Milk or water with dinner?  Consistancy is key.

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • I hate to say it, but things will probably get worse before they get better. DS1 was an angel until he was 3 but he's been really challenging since then. I'm anticipating the same trajectory with DS2 and am already scared/exhausted/sore from banging my head against the wall.

This stuff is hard. Parenting is wild and wonderful, but these early years are work.

That's not remotely helpful, I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone.

• Loading the player...
  • When DS was that age, I remember sending an email to family that it was only 8:30 am in the morning and he had been in the corner three times already.  That age is the "test your boundaries" stage.  Be consistent with discipline.  It is a "tear your hair out" phase for parents.  I did a lot more praying during that stage.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Thanks everyone!  Some days I feel I am constantly putting DD in time out- but I want her to behave and do what is asked of her- "no jumping on the couch".  I also don't want her a spoiled brat.  But its also exhausting to constantly discipline at every turn.. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Also, pick your battles. Set her up to succeed and behave by avoiding things that you know will lead to a meltdown if you can. Model the behavior you want to see. And seriously life is so much better without screen time and junk food.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not enough coffee!! jk ;)
  • Picking your battles and setting up a "yes" environment, are what help us. We childproof really well, so I don't have to redirect them from things they shouldn't touch. I use natural consequences most of the time, so timeouts are only for things like hitting or screaming. I usually only have to give timeouts a couple of times a week. I think giving them less frequently makes them more effective when you do have to use them.
  • Oh honey, doing nothing wrong!!  That's a two year old for you- and for us, three was WAY worse.  So buckle in for the ride!  I was also about 38 when I had that willful toddler.  It's a season of life that is tough.  Now my kids are older (elementary school) & act more like humans, and I am loving it :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"