Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Diaper changing tantrums

Ds used to be so good and loved having his diaper changed. Now he screams his head off, tries to get away,and twists and turns. Any advice on how to handle this?!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Diaper changing tantrums

• Options
    DD went through this too-- it was right around the time she was first walking and didn't want to be bothered with silly like getting a clean butt!

Thing we did- we'd hand her something to hold and look at while we changed her- my phone or the wipes package or the A&D. Something to distract her really quick- my phone was usually the winner.
    Another thing we'd do was not change her RIGHT when we laid her down- I would tickle her, blow on her tummy, play peek-a-boo with her shirt or blanket to get her laughing then start changing her.
  • Options
    That's great advice thank you! Normally when we hand him something he throws it
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The only thing to this day that works consistently is a silly song with lots of hand motions and facial expressions. Oh, and animal noises. We've been in this "phase" for six months...
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The only thing to this day that works consistently is a silly song with lots of hand motions and facial expressions. Oh, and animal noises. We've been in this "phase" for six months...
    This. Except silly songs don't even work for us. I dread diaper changes lol. Just go as fast as you can! :)
  • Options
    Honestly I just grit my teeth and hope for the best during diaper changes these days.....

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I started buying pull-ups for this reason. If he's just wet, I quickly tear off the diaper and throw a pull up on!
  • Options
    vrj0522vrj0522 member
    edited November 2013
    My son has also been doing this for about 8-9 month. It's hard and has only gotten harder.

What I try to do is play games, make funny noises, tickle him, talk about his belly button or other body parts that he can point to, or let him play with things that he usually would not be allowed to play with, like my keys. Doesn't always work but most of the time I can get him distracted enough to at least get through the changing of the diaper.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    DD just started doing this too. Its driving menuts. Ss soon as we put her on the pad she wants to stand up. I turn ky phone on forward facing camera and it helps for about 3 minutes
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
  • Options
    My 15 month old DS does this. It is AWFUL! Thanks for all the good advice. Even my iPhone doesn't work anymore!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"