December 2013 Moms

breastpumps...crap

So when my insurance called me over the summer to set up regular calls checking in on the pregnancy they let me know they cover breastpumps, as most now do. They told me they only cover manual, however. Ok fine, no big deal, I figured I would just ask about making up the difference to get an electric, as I'm going to need to pump efficiently at work. Well...stupid me didn't think to check prices until today and had a near heart attack. I had no idea the price difference was so large! I feel like their covering a manual is just crap, manuals are cheap! As great as my insurance is (I haven't paid out of pocket for an appt since my initial visit and my hospital stay is insanely cheap as well) I would have thought the coverage on a pump would be better than this.

Here's where I need help! I obviously can't afford the ever popular Medela electric on top of all the other baby expenses and I really haven't heard any reviews for other pumps. So have any of you had luck with a more inexpensive electric pump? Recommendations are very much needed! Thanks :)
Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: breastpumps...crap

• That's bs, sorry they don't cover electric. I have no advice because I'm FTM. Good luck!
  • cherylnicolecherylnicole member
    edited November 2013
    You could buy one used. It's perfectly fine as long as you sterilize the lines/tubing. And it'll probably run you about half the price. 

Eta-I would check out craigslist or see if you have any consignment sales coming up in your area

View Full Size Image 
    View Full Size Image View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I would suggest trying craigslist or eBay and see if anyone is selling a new one cheaper... Maybe they got it as a gift or bought it themselves and never used it...
  • I have used the Playtex pump an loved it. It was around $100-$150 I think. I too was shocked by pump prices when I bought it 5 yrs ago. I never had a problem with my pump, and it still works 5 years later. My sister borrowed it for her last baby as well.

The Playtex pump is relatively easy to clean and store. I use Playtex bottles with drop-ins liners when I go back to work, and I could pump directly into the drop-in liners. It was very convenient.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersimageimage

• You can rent them through the hospital.  It can be cheaper to start but it will end up costing more in the long run.  It's not a bad idea to start off renting and see if you need to buy one later on.    

I bought an expensive one when I was pg with DS.  I had some pretty serious complications with the delivery and ended up only being able to pump for a week or two.  I wish that I would have rented instead of buying one.  Luckily it still works and I have been able to buy replacement parts.  I hope that I will use it more with this little one.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Unfortunately my hospital doesn't rent anymore, found that out on the tour last week. I hadn't thought to check used, though I know that's common. And I'll check out the Playtex one too, thanks!!
  • watercolor5watercolor5 member
    edited November 2013
    I'd recommend the ameda purely yours... it's $150 on amazon, which is still pricey, but beats the cost of most medela packages.  The double electric pump works great, is easy to clean/sterilize, and their customer service is great if you ever have a problem.  (I used one for 7 months when the motor broke, and they overnighted me a free motor- only asked for the serial number.)  You just don't pay extra for things like a black carrying bag and ice packs, which are much cheaper to provide on your own anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/Ameda-Purely-Yours-Breast-Pump/dp/B004E9SW7G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1383513988&sr=8-2&keywords=ameda+purely+yours

ETA: the tubing is hygienically sealed on this pump, so you never need to clean tubing
  • I have the Avent double electric and it's great and still working fine through two kids. A little on the pricer side but not as expensive as Medela.

• If you have a just between friends event coming soon, they usually have some good pumps, I saw some medelas at both I went to. I know you're probably apprehensive about buying used, but you can talk to your doc about how to sterilize properly.

https://jbfsale.com/home.jsp

image  image

Lilypie - (Xzno)
    Lilypie - (WIG0)
  • Have you talked to your insurance company about an electric pump being medically necessary? That's the only way mine will cover it. My OB has to write a letter stating that I need one instead of a manual. Now, I haven't gotten my pump but I'm not going to stop until I get somewhere! My OB sent a letter but she didn't specifically say I needed an electric one so they approved a manual one. Ugh! So she is sending one again. I'll let you know how that goes. It never hurts to ask! Good luck!
  • PP seem to have said it all! I just want to add that if you can, take the manual pump as well. Our hospital pointed out if you ever lose power, need to evacuate, etc. and need to pump the manuals are priceless. I'd never thought of that before and it's certainly something to consider depending on where you live.
    A lot of pumps will work on batteries or with car adapters too, but I got a free manual pump from my hospital last time (which I think is rare) and liked to just keep it in the car in case I forgot to bring a pump part to work... plus, sometimes it's nice to be able to pump without all of the set-up and noise, if you ever wind up pumping in a bathroom or something. 

I also used my manual after I had surgery to keep my supply up while I was on pain meds, because it was easier for my nurse to rinse out for me when I wasn't able to get up.
  • This is the double electric breast pump I have: 

It's very reasonably priced at $117 and it worked great. My girlfriend got the same off my recommendation and she loved it as well. 

Also both my obgyn and pediatrician recommended NOT using a used breast pump. I was given a Medela by DH's aunt (which was only a few years old) and they said even if you replace all the parts that come in contact with breast milk, it is still common for cross contamination in other parts of the pump. Since they both said the same thing I decided to get a new pump. I know some people on here recommend used pumps but that was just my experience.
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• @sailortink YES I actually have plans to get the Medela Harmony off Amazon for $30 because I read that having something easily portable to relieve the pressure when out can be a lifesaver. I do also live in Florida, so hurricane season will be over by the time LO arrives this year, but since it comes up every 6 months its always useful to have in an area like where we live (though we did not lose power for more than few minutes this year, and not even due to weather).

I'm definitely checking all the discount sites like Overstock, and my registry is at Amazon which has really good prices too. If I add it to my registry, there's always the completion code as well! And I hadn't thought to ask my doctor about a prescription, as a time crunch as work seems like a necessary reason to have one. But they would probably write it anyway just for efficiency.

Thanks so much for all the feedback! I'm checking out all the pumps mentioned, I seriously wish I had started considering this earlier, oh well...at least I'll be home 12-15 weeks initially where a manual would suffice if need be! :)
  • Do you have the option to do flex spending through work? I'm pretty sure pumps are allowed under that. If you put some money in tree it will be spread over the year and be tax free, which might help you get a better pump.

• LP0198 said:

This is the double electric breast pump I have: 

It's very reasonably priced at $117 and it worked great. My girlfriend got the same off my recommendation and she loved it as well. 

Also both my obgyn and pediatrician recommended NOT using a used breast pump. I was given a Medela by DH's aunt (which was only a few years old) and they said even if you replace all the parts that come in contact with breast milk, it is still common for cross contamination in other parts of the pump. Since they both said the same thing I decided to get a new pump. I know some people on here recommend used pumps but that was just my experience.

All of this. Unless they've changed since I bought mine, medela pis is not a closed system. It's meant for just one user. Also, motors are not meant to last forever.

I had the lansinoh double electric (still do but didn't pump with #2) and was very happy. Also had the medela manual. It was a lifesaver the time I forgot an important part of my electric at home.
    imageimage

• edited November 2013
    Right now on Target's cartwheel app they have a coupon for 10% off the Playtex breast pump.
  • If you are going to purchase a used pump it needs to be a closed system pump, such as an Ameda Purely Yours, Hygeia Enjoye, or the Lansinoh Affinity Pro.  If you do purchase used make sure to buy a kit with new tubing and parts.  In the grand scheme of things after buying the kit and the used pump it is probably a better deal to purchase new.  My friend has the Lansinoh Affinity Pro and is very happy with it.  I had an Ameda Purely Yours last time and will be getting a new one this time.
  • There's also this one which was mentioned on here recently as being a stripped-down but mechanically identical version of the Pump in Style for $150.
  • I did a bunch of research & ended up purchasing (just bought it today actually!) the Lansinoh Affinity Pro Double Electric...I hope I have good experience w/ it!  It gets great reviews & is much cheaper (around $130 usually) than the Medela pump, so you could look into that!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"