Breastfeeding

Breast Pump Reccomendation

I would like suggestions of which breast pump to get. 
Here is my situation. I lost my job when I was 5 1/2 months pregnant and have since gone on medicaid. My husband has been working his tail off in order to pay for all the things that come along with being pregnant and having a baby. I know which breast pump I want, the Medela Pump In Style however its over $200 and given our situation its not practical. As soon as I can I plan on getting back into the work force, hence the reason I'd like a pump. I have seen pumps at Wal-Mart for $50 that are double electric and all but I am still hesitant on getting a cheap one vs one I have heard comes highly recommended. Help??
Marideth

Re: Breast Pump Reccomendation

• I'd recommend the pump in style. My insurance sent me ameda and I got droplets. An idea is to buy the pump used and buy an accessory kit. That will be cheaper than buying new.
    Me 33. DH 32. TTC Since 6/2011. 12/2012-m/c, CP. DH: MFI. CCT/HSG/day 3 blood work-all nl. IVF#1 ER- 8/7/12, ET- 8/10. beta 8/25 neg, I did not respond as expected. AMH: 0.88. IVF#2 BCP-10/19. Micro flare Lupron-Nov: It's a bust. IVF#3 Planned for Feb '13 with a long lupron protocol ON OUR OWN!!! BFP- 1/12/13. Yay! EDD 9/18, now EDD 9/25
  • I am on medicaid so I don't believe they provide a pump to mothers, feel free to correct me if I am wrong. 
    I never thought about buying the pump used and the hoses and such new, that is a possibility. 
    Marideth
  • Loading the player...
  • You can also look into renting one from your hospital
  • What about the local health department?  I have heard that our local health department will give pumps to mothers in need.  It may be worth checking out.  I have the Ameda PY and loved it.  I have nothing to compare it to but it worked well for me.
  • If you purchase a used one, I would recommend the Ameda Purely Yours; it has a closed system so it can be used by another mother with new parts.  I have had both the Medela PISA (5 years ago) and the APY.  I am using the APY now and it's great!
  • I have the medela pisa but hardly use it since right now I am staying at home with my lo. I actually much prefer the medela harmony (manual pump) for when I do need to pump. I get great results with it, and very quickly! Maybe you can try a manual pump for now and once you have a new job and have to leave lo more often, upgrade to a double electric.
  • Like PP, I'd wait until you have a job to buy it and save that money for stuff you need right now. Or, if you get WIC, I *think* they will help you get a pump. Medicaid may also cover rental. When you do go back to work, I'd invest in a high quality one like Ameda or Medela.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Like PP mentione wic can help. You can ask your Medicaid worker for ref to wic if unsure.

-My step-daughter is 12 years old.

-BFP #1 on 9/2/12, D&C 10/18/12 no heartbeat on US @ 10 weeks.

-BFP #2 on 1/7/13, R was born on 9/22/13 via C-Section

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We don't qualify for WIC, I didn't think Medicaid would cover a breast pump I will look into that and the APY or Medela Harmony.  Thank You for your recommendations. 
    Marideth
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"