Baby Names

Is this spelling horrible?

Delainee? I like the way it looks so much better that Delaney. Especially when used for the nn Lainee/Laney. But I don't want my child to have a name that people think is spelled horribly. Your thoughts? What would be a good middle name also? I can't think of anything.

Re: Is this spelling horrible?

• The spelling is bad. Id go with the usual spelling

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes, I do think it's bad. I prefer traditional spellings.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • The spelling is bad. Id go with the usual spelling
    This.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • That is what I thought. I don't want to give my child a name where people look at it and think wtf. lol. Are there any other ways to spell Delaney that are decent? I'm just not a huge fan of how it looks. My heart was originally set on the name Alaina with the nn Lainee but DH works with an Alaina and can't stand her so he vetoed the name. Which is why we decided on Delaney.
  • Spelling it correctly is always the best solution.

What is it about the Delaney spelling you don't like?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • While I prefer Delaney, I've seen Delanie and I don't find that too bad.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

• Delaney is a beautiful name and personally I love the spelling. The spelling in your original post is going to give her a life time of spelling problems.
    Anniversary
    Love: March 2010  Marriage: July 2013  Debt Free: October 2014  TTC: April 2015
     BFP: April 10, 2016 EDD: December 19, 2016 Team Blue!
    Oscar born November 20, 2016 at 35w6d

• it's terrible.
    Teen mom all the way.

• 2013mommy said:
    Spell it correctly. If you don't like the way it looks I think you should go back to the drawing board. 
    I agree.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Superbad.
  • Delaney is so much better.  Please spell it the correct way.  FWIW I like the Laney spelling of the nn better also.
    BFP 1/8/10, MC 1/15/10 | BFP 3/20/10, MC 6/24/10 | BFP 12/13/10...EDD 8/22/11...DD born 6/7/11 @ 29 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know it can be hard to agree on a name, but, seriously, there are thousands of choices.  If you don't like something about a name, it makes more sense to pick another name than to change something about a name in a way that will cause all sorts of other problems.

Also, FWIW, when I first read your spelling I didn't realize it was supposed to be Delaney and read it as dell-lah-NAY.  Not that my way really makes sense.  But people get confused about the spelling and pronunciation of perfectly normal names, let alone weirdly spelled ones.  I don't think there are a lot of ways to change the spelling of Delaney without making it look like you want a different pronunciation.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • There's really no good alternate spelling for that name, so like others have said, if you dislike the original spelling that much, it's not the name for you.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If this all came from liking the nn lainee what about just using FN Laine or Lainey?
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Delainee makes me think of detainee, like someone being detained. I would stick with the original spelling or go back to the drawing board.
  • generally if you have to ask...
  • Don't do it.  

RIP Dr. Irving Fishman - 10/1/19-7/25/10 - thank you for holding on for me.
    You made my wedding day complete.

Anniversary 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • sorry but Delainee looks terrible to me.  I don't think Delaney is a bad name but spelling it that way changes everything for me     It looks very juvenile
  • Not a fan of that spelling.  I'm generally a fan of mixing things up a bit with spelling, but this I'm not fond of.
    ME: 27  ||  DH:  28
    TTC #1 since August 2013

MC#1 11/2013 @ 7 weeks
    MC#2 02/2014 @ 6 weeks
    MC#3 08/2014 @ 5 weeks
    D&C 10/2014
    Referred to RE 10/2014
    Pregnant 12/2014

Anniversary
  • Honestly, yes it looks bad. My friend got all creative with spelling her daughter's name, and is constantly having to tell people how to spell it. And my other friend wanted to name her daughter Madison...spelled Maddisyn or Madiesyn. She asked people's opinions on which spelling, and I was pretty blunt and said "why don't you just spell it correctly so she doesn't have to correct people for the rest of her life?" I was pregnant, so I blame hormones for my bluntness. Anyway, she had the baby and used the Madison spelling, and now says she is glad she did, because that is usually the first spelling people write down when she says her daughters name.
  • YUCK. Go with Delaney, it is a sweet name. 
  • When I see Delanie, I read it as rhyming with Melanie. You can't rewrite phonetics, just go with the most traditional spelling or chose another name. :) 
  • I agree with the PP. If you like the name, please spell it traditionally.
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• Omg! That is awful! As the mother of a Delaney/Laney please just spell it correctly. Her middle name is Louise and I love it! We call her Laney Lou a lot
    <3 Delaney. 4.5.12. <3 <br> Photobucket
  • Kmommy91Kmommy91 member
    edited November 2013
    Awful.

EDT: But I will say I do adore Delaney. It's on our list too.
    "Bedo" - Apr. 16, '13

#2 - EDD Nov.
    15, '14
    **RATE A NAME HERE!**
  • I'm not a huge fan of this spelling, but it's your baby. I say pick out how you like it, just keep in mind issues that may arise. 

My name is spelled MERI, but said like MARY. It has given me issues from time to time, but since it's such a classic name, I love that it's spelled uniquely and would honestly hate to have it spelled the normal way. That said, it's short enough that it's not that big of a deal. I think the longer the name, the more difficult it becomes.

:)
  • Delainee makes me think of detainee, like someone being detained. I would stick with the original spelling or go back to the drawing board.

This.
  • Honestly, it looks like a teen mom spelling
    Ditto.
  • Bjudge09 said:
    That is what I thought. I don't want to give my child a name where people look at it and think wtf. lol. Are there any other ways to spell Delaney that are decent? I'm just not a huge fan of how it looks. My heart was originally set on the name Alaina with the nn Lainee but DH works with an Alaina and can't stand her so he vetoed the name. Which is why we decided on Delaney.

What about Delanie? Actually, nevermind, that looks like it would rhyme with Melanie. I am just not a fan of the names ending in ee because it seems to trendee (wink wink) and kind of "made up." Or Delainey?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"