May 2014 Moms
Options

Flu shot... Now vs later

Hello and happy Halloween May mommas!

So my job is offering free flu shots tomorrow at work and since I am 10 weeks along I had to get a dr's note for it. My dr gave me the note and said it was fine but at the same time asked how long they were offering it for. I think he would prefer I wait till I'm after 12 weeks but doesn't want me to miss the free shot.

I have had some issues (SCH) so far and the last thing I want is to add stress to my body/baby. Anyone have any suggestions with this? Does it really matter if I get it now vs in two weeks? If I get it I will be getting the preservative free one.

Thanks!

Re: Flu shot... Now vs later

• Options
    If your OB was concened, I'm sure he wouldn't have approved it. I got my flu shot in the first tri last pregnancy and this time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I got my Flu shot at 6 weeks, was having some spotting at the time too, but my Doc wasn't concerned at all.  They said the risk of getting sick is the real worry and there is little to no evidence that the flu shot can negatively impact the baby.  Waiting or not it is highly recommended to get the flu shot during flu season because there is so much new data coming out on how flu exposure can impact development in and out of the womb.  Good luck ladies!
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am waiting a few more weeks just for my own peace of mind. I live in FL and flu season tends to start later so I think I'll be okay.
    TTC since 10/11
    Me, 26- Normal. DH, 28- Low morphology (2-4%)
    August 2013 100mg Clomid+TI=BFP!
    Beta #1,2,3=136, 1351, 5328
    BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage
  • Options
    I am 10w 3d and had an OB appointment yesterday - they gave me mine there. She said she definitely did not recommend any with the live virus in it (she said the FluMist is one of the ones that has it) but said otherwise it's completely fine.

• Options
    I had mine at 10 weeks, everything was fine.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Get it girl. I've been waiting until after first tri (I'm 11 wks 5 days) and guess what? Started feeling sick on Sunday, went to Dr on Tuesday and I have the flu! She says its a mild one (no fever) or severe symptoms; horrible productive cough though. Not being able to take NyQuil when feeling like ish is the worst. Hot tea with honey and riccola is all I can have and yesterday I felt like death. I've never gotten it before but figured it would be good to do it now, but my students got me first. I'll be getting it next week because I can still get other strains and I rather prevent as many as I can!
  • Options
    I got mine from Walgreen's at 7 weeks. The pharmacist didn't even blink, just nodded and grabbed the preservative-free preloaded syringe instead of the multi-use vial. My OB would've given me a flu shot at my first checkup, but that's not till 10w3d and I didn't want to wait that long in the season.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    I'm so torn about this. My family doctor said wait until second tri, so I was thinking 14 weeks. I had my first midwife appointment yesterday and they recommended waiting even later more like 18-20 weeks. By that point it'll be full on flu season here and I feel like it's pointless at that point.
    TTC since August 2011
    Cycle 8,9,10 - 50mg Clomid - BFN
    Cycle 11, 100 mg Clomid & IUI#1- BFP 2/23/13 - m/c 4/2/13 @ 9w2d
    Cycle 13, 100 mg Clomid & IUI#2 - BFP 6/27/13 - CP
    Surprise Natural BFP 9/9/13 - Welcomed baby boy May 25, 2014
    TTC Buddies with *noelcallum* - Congratulations!
    Knottie Besties with *SparklingDiamond* - Congratulations!
  • Options
    My midwife seemed SHOCKED when I asked for it at my NT scan appointment. She said most mother's refuse it on the notion it shouldn't be taken until you are out of first tri. She said that with the flu season's we've been having and that it can take a few (2 ish) weeks for your body to process the shot and develop antibodies, that she recommends it to be taken as soon as possible. I had to sign a waiver that stated I understood possible side effects of the shot, and also that I understood what not getting the flu shot could potentially mean to my fetus. I received the dead virus in a preservative free shot that did not go into my muscle. I had no side effects related to the shot, personally.

• Options
    I got mine this week at 11 weeks, the longer you wait the more chance you can be exposed to the virus and get sick which can be dangerous for you and the baby. It takes a couple weeks for the antibodies to build up enough to protect you. I would do it. 
    image image

• Options
    we're already in flu season, so the sooner the better.

My OB's nurse gave me my flu shot at 8 weeks.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    Flu has already been reported here. My OB says once November hits, they give it to everyone.
    Married 08.06
    Started TTC 05.08
    Me: Stage II endo, borderline high FSH
    DH: perfect
    1 lap, 5 IUIs = 4 BFNs and 1 c/p
    2 IVFs, 2 FETs = 1 BFN, 1 c/p, 1 ectopic and finally a sticky BFP in May 2011!

1 FET in Aug 2013 = BFP! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm almost 11 weeks and my doctor has scheduled me to get a flu shot next week. She said the earlier I get it, the better.
  • Options
    Hmm. I asked my Dr. about getting one at my appointment yesterday, and she said they'd like to wait until my next appointment to give me the shot (I will be 18 weeks). The flu season is typically mild where I live though. 

BFP #1 7.16.13 | EDD 3.27.14  | MC 7.29.13
    BFP #2 8.28.13 | EDD 5.5.14 | Simon Francis, Due Date Baby!

• Options
    I have never gotten the flu shot, so this was a tough one for me.  But when I went to the intake appt with my nurse at around 8 wks, she helped me make the best decision, i think, for me and the baby.  Our immune systems are down while we are incubating these little humans, so a bout of the flu can really knock you out for much longer than someone not pregnant.  I didn't want to take that risk for many reasons, so I chose to get it and she explained that the vaccination was preservative-free.
  • Options
    I got mine at 7 weeks. Checked with my primary care and OB and both recommend getting it as early as possible. The shot has a dead virus- it's not dangerous. The only thing they said is not to get the nasal spray because that's the live flu. I live in central New York though- flu season can get pretty bad up here.
  • Options

I got mine at 9 weeks, the doctor strongly recommended it. everything is just fine and i'm glad i did!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I got mine at 6 weeks.  I work in the ER and I want absolutely none of that.  I see flu all the time and those patients are miserable, vomiting, dehydrated with high fevers.  The vaccine protects your baby while you're pregnant and even after birth, it was a no-brainer.

imageimage
    Beautiful Baby Girl born May 28, 2014

• Options
    my OB says not till my second tri. That will put me around mid-end this month.
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    I'm still on the fence but don't have my next appointment till around thanksgiving anyways. I have never gotten it before which concerns me because while the reaction rate is low, it is a risk. At the same time, if I worked at a hospital or a school I would be all over that shot. But I don't. I stay at home now so no coworkers to catch it from. So I'm getting a shot for something I most likely wont catch? I've only had the flu once and I know exactly where I caught it. And funny enough, it was in June that year.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think literally everyone that goes to the grocery store catches the flu... I'm not saying it isn't important but I am saying I am probably at a lower risk than a lot of people. If I weren't pregnant getting the flu shot wouldn't even cross my mind. Perhaps all of the places I've lived have more mild flu seasons because it really hasn't been a big deal.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I got my preservative free one today. I've read that you don't HAVE to get the preservative free one but I would probably want that one, KU or not. I'm 11 weeks. I've had SCH since 6 weeks and my doctor didn't even flinch about it. I agree that the longer you wait the more risk you have of getting the flu. I can't really imagine what significant difference a week or two is going to make meaning get it sooner than later.

imageimage

• Options
    If I wasn't sick with a cold at my 8w apt I would have gotten it then, I got mine at 12w5d. I think it's more than fine. for some people the longer they wait the further they are into flu season:/
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Kimbus22 said:
    ecinereb said:
    I'm so torn about this. My family doctor said wait until second tri, so I was thinking 14 weeks. I had my first midwife appointment yesterday and they recommended waiting even later more like 18-20 weeks. By that point it'll be full on flu season here and I feel like it's pointless at that point.
    This would make me look for a new doctor honestly.  I've never know ANY physician to not recommend a flu shot to a pregnant woman ASAP in flu season.  What is their reasoning?
    Well it's not quite flu season here yet so I completely trust my GP in saying to wait until second tri. She was probably thinking that would get me just in time for flu season.

It's the midwife I'm second guessing. The midwife's reasoning was my history of m/c, I guess there is a risk of m/c after the flu vaccine. I think I'm just going to make an appt with my GP and get it in a couple weeks like she recommended.
    TTC since August 2011
    Cycle 8,9,10 - 50mg Clomid - BFN
    Cycle 11, 100 mg Clomid & IUI#1- BFP 2/23/13 - m/c 4/2/13 @ 9w2d
    Cycle 13, 100 mg Clomid & IUI#2 - BFP 6/27/13 - CP
    Surprise Natural BFP 9/9/13 - Welcomed baby boy May 25, 2014
    TTC Buddies with *noelcallum* - Congratulations!
    Knottie Besties with *SparklingDiamond* - Congratulations!
  • Options
    Get it. 1. its free 2. influenza will be far more stressful for you and your baby than the flu shot. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ecinereb said:
    Kimbus22 said:
    ecinereb said:
    This would make me look for a new doctor honestly.  I've never know ANY physician to not recommend a flu shot to a pregnant woman ASAP in flu season.  What is their reasoning?
    Well it's not quite flu season here yet so I completely trust my GP in saying to wait until second tri. She was probably thinking that would get me just in time for flu season.

It's the midwife I'm second guessing. The midwife's reasoning was my history of m/c, I guess there is a risk of m/c after the flu vaccine. I think I'm just going to make an appt with my GP and get it in a couple weeks like she recommended.
    There isn't. But it seems fairly common for providers (especially third party ones) to require ladies wait until the second tri because they don't want anyone drawing an erroneous correlation between their miscarriage and a flu shot, liability-wise.

• Options
    CopperPoppyCopperPoppy member
    edited November 2013
    pandadair said:

ecinereb said:

Kimbus22 said:

ecinereb said:

There isn't. But it seems fairly common for providers (especially third party ones) to require ladies wait until the second tri because they don't want anyone drawing an erroneous correlation between their miscarriage and a flu shot, liability-wise.

::nerd alert geek fest 2013:: I was just going to say that. Statistically speaking, if the risk of mc is highest in first tri then getting a flu shot in first tri could cause people to draw a correlation between the two events even if they are independent variables. ( I messed the quotes all up)

imageimage

• Options
    Thanks ladies! I ended up just going for it since it was there and from what most said it has no effect on the pregnancy. Just got it yesterday and besides a sore arm, so far so good!
  • Options
    I got mine at 5 weeks at my confirmation appointment. We don't want to get the flu.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I agree with the others...GET IT! Pregnant women are technically immunocompromised which makes us "higher" risk for getting Influenza. I got mine a couple days ago (technically on the 1st day of my 2nd trimester) and got it during my 1st trimester with my son.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @FunSizeGrl this has been such a diverse topic for months. Do ur research and stick to ur decision.
    BabyFruit Ticker}
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"