Multiples
Options

My boys' First B-day

I know it will be here before I know it and I am still at a loss for what I want to do.  I thought I would ask some others who have been here before for some advice. First let me say that I am not a really crafty DIY person, but more like keep it simple because I don't want to spend all my energy on decorating, cooking, etc on that day. I have heard that it's good to have a small first b-day, but I am having a hard time keeping it at less than 30-40 people. With that in mind, my house is not big enough so I reserved a room at a pizza place.  Now I am stumped for how to decorate....and thinking maybe I will just narrow the list down and have it at home.  Ugh! I am so undecided and not sure what to do now.  So tell me, what do you wish you had done differently. What can you suggest that I do (big or small)?  Do I have to play games with kids (there will be some but not many and all older than mine).  I so want to enjoy this day with my boys but I am not sure what the heck I am doing.  Please HELP this first time mama of twins!!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker < br > image

Re: My boys' First B-day

• Options
    We had about 30 people at our house....it was a little tight but we made it work....we did a lunch because I knew that was when the boys would be happiest.I did a little man theme so decorated with bowties and mustaches..no games, just food (make your own sandwich bar, crockpots of 2 different kinds of soup, squash and applesauce for the littlest guests) followed by presents and cupcakes for dessert....it lasted about 2 hours which I thought was perfect! 
  • Options

We had a family-only party of about 15-20 people at our house and also did just an easy lunch to work around the boys' nap schedule.  People came right after they went down for a nap so that way we could socialize with people first, and then the boys were rested when they got up to open some gifts and have cake and then everyone went home.  I think keeping it at your house is best for this age.  As everyone says, your kids are not going to know what is going on, and I think keeping them in their own environment and schedule is always better.  I would hate to spend more money on an outside party where they just started to meltdown and have no way to comfort them with familiarity.  We only had one child who was 6 and could entertain herself so no help on what to do with kids.

I am not crafty either so I just found a first birthday party set online--cups, plates, hats, a banner, etc. which was nice to feel like there was some sense of a theme but I didn't have to do anything to make it look cute :)  Keep it as simple as possible.  We will all have PLENTY of big birthday parties to plan as our kids get older and make it very clear what they want.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I went a little nuts with my singleton's first birthday so I'm probably little help to someone who doesn't want to craft things for weeks leading up to the party, but I'll say this:  the best thing I did was hire a photographer.  I found someone who was young, new, and cheap (on Craigslist, actually) and ended up paying her $100 to shoot the party and it was worth every cent because I never would have had a chance to pick up the camera myself AND I'm even in a bunch of pictures (which never happens!) :D.  

Grant - 6/2/11
    Glenn and Caroline - 6/19/13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"