Babies: 9 - 12 Months

No Table food

My DD is a little over 9 months now she only has her 2 bottom teeth, I do see the top 2 trying to come threw. But my concern is that she does not like table food I have tried a variety of foods such as mashed potatoes, carrots, peas, bananas, even gerber baby yogurt and all she does is frown her face up & gag until she throws it up. I mean people ask and act like she should be eating table food by now but she just doesn't like it. She will eat all the types of baby cereals, vegetables, and fruits even the mixed baby foods. 
imageBabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: No Table food

• It's probably a consistency thing she needs to strengthen her mouth muscles to move thicker foods back I recommend slowly progressing to thicker consistencies 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • She isn't gagging because she doesn't like it, she's gagging because she doesn't know how to handle solid food in her mouth. Gagging is how they learn how much food they can put in their mouths and how to get it to a consistency they can swallow. We did BLW so DD started solid food right at 6 months and she pretty much gagged on everything for the first month. Just keep offering that's how they learn to eat. Stick to the softer foods like bananas, avocado, well cooked pasta, cooked carrots, soft bread, etc until she does better. It looks scary but as long as they're coughing it up they're not choking. When you're really choking it's silent you can't make any sound.
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with PP -- maybe move to stage 3 foods (which have chunkier stuff in them) until she gets used to moving around thicker, chunkier textures?

Ignore what people say -- you are the mom, you know what's up. Just keep trying and she will catch on soon enough.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Our daughter is almost 10 months and isn't eating table food except TINY bits of soft bread.  I made homemade frozen yogurt drops like this recipe and she just swallows them whole and then makes a funny face because it's so cold!  She also only has her bottom two teeth.  We're not pushing it with table foods, just sticking with puree foods for now.
    Christa
    Adopted a baby girl in January 2013 via domestic infant adoption
    "One and Done!"  Now we spend our time traveling the world as a family

My Blog: Travel Fearlessly
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"