August 2013 Moms
Options

How do you get your kid to sleep?

DS1 was such an easy sleeper. I had no idea how lucky I was! I would swaddle him up, give him a paci, turn on the mobile, and he was out. This one.. I can't get him to sleep for anything!

At night, he sleeps in the swing. For long stretches, no prob. During the day, we try the swing and he flips out unless he's fully asleep. Same with the crib. Getting him to fall asleep is sooooooo hard. I swaddle, shush, use white noise, sway or bounce, rock.. I've tried it all. He fights sleep like a champ!!

Anyone have any wise advice? We moved the swing into his room because napping in the swing in the living room with a toddler running around was a mess. But I think he cries now in the swing because no one is around. The second I leave the room is when he cries. I'm so frustrated! I spend a half hour getting him down to have him sleep half an hour.. Ahhhh!!!

Re: How do you get your kid to sleep?

• Options
    How long is he usually awake before you try to get him to sleep?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    There's a post for the Merlin Magic Sleepsuit...the gals that have used it are raving over it's ability to lull baby to sleep!  I'd check it out...
    image mother quotes photo: love mother 132.gif

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    For naps, I've given up and just put him in the ktan, or plan running errands around nap time because the car always puts him to sleep. I was able to rock him to sleep at my mom's the other day, so we may have to invest in a rocker, even though there's not a ton of space in his room
    Ezra James 08/22/2013  <3
    Nora Grace Due 12/26/2016  <3

Two Angel Babies 
    07/03/2012
    08/08/2015

"If you're still my small babe
    or you're all the way grown,
    my promise to you
    is you're never alone.
    You are my angel, my darling,
    my star...and my love will find you,
    wherever you are."
  • Options
    I'm on my LO's schedule. When he's ready to sleep he will. I don't have any tricks however I notice that once he is drowsy (usually after eating) I lay him in his bassinet and I sit with him. Usually he falls asleep just fine but he has to be *ready*. Meaning there is no such thing as putting him down for a nap or getting him to nap. I just work with his schedule. As Jill put it, if he isn't ready for a nap I will wear him or he will be in his swing/bouncer because he will not fall asleep no matter what I do.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    DS sleeps great at our house but not so much at my moms (who watches him while I work). I think part of it is that it's quieter at her house. She now turns music on and the swing music to give him "noise" to sleep to. And at our house he has to have the swing music on a lot of the time, I've noticed within minutes of it going off he's up. So now I listen for it to stop and start it right back up.
  • Options
    For DS, I noticed After an hour after he wakes he gets tired, so I swaddle him, paci, walk around or
    If he doesn't need it, I put him in the swing where he naps during the day.

At night, I get him changed, swaddle feed him and then put him in his room. DS had a tough time transitioning in his room, but we tired and it was a process . It works better when we do the entire routine in his room.

For DS number one I had to walk around with him in his baby bjorn and when he was asleep carefully transfer him. It was a process.
  • Options
    My lo fights sleep like it's his job too. I have to catch him as soon as he is tired ..swaddle and rock with paci or else it takes forever to get him to sleep. If I let him sleep when he chose it would be only at night!
  • Options

I'm on my LO's schedule. When he's ready to sleep he will. I don't have any tricks however I notice that once he is drowsy (usually after eating) I lay him in his bassinet and I sit with him. Usually he falls asleep just fine but he has to be *ready*. Meaning there is no such thing as putting him down for a nap or getting him to nap. I just work with his schedule. As Jill put it, if he isn't ready for a nap I will wear him or he will be in his swing/bouncer because he will not fall asleep no matter what I do.

This. She sleeps when she wants. No such thing as "nap time" in this house. Just a bed time routine. If she sleeps, she sleeps.
    After a feeding, when she's drowsy I rock her to sleep with some white noise. Usually she's out for the night after that.

• Options
    SarahinMD said:
    How long is he usually awake before you try to get him to sleep?

Sorry to P&R ! My toddler woke up and then it was a flurry of trick or treating, dinner, bath, bedtime, etc. So I've been playing around with awake times, trying to find the optimal one and I have no clue... Between an hour & hour and a half is usually when I try. I did buy the Merlin sleep suit actually! It's been a little too warm to use it here yet but we did give it a go one night and he screamed. We gave up eventually - gonna have to try it again soon..
  • Options
    janneann1127janneann1127 member
    edited November 2013
    Jill9288 said:
    For naps, I've given up and just put him in the ktan, or plan running errands around nap time because the car always puts him to sleep. I was able to rock him to sleep at my mom's the other day, so we may have to invest in a rocker, even though there's not a ton of space in his room

I have the Bjorn but he doesn't seem to respond very well to it. :( I wish. My other son enjoyed the rocker. This one does not so far.
  • Options

At night LO eats around 9:30-10.. changes into PJ's between the boobs.. after he's done burping he is swaddled and I rock him to sleep with his wubbanub. It works like a charm- finally! :)

I want the magic sleep suit!

• Options

This is what I was doing initially. But I started to realize that he is the type of baby that will stay awake until he's exhausted beyond belief and then loses his mind. At that point, sleep becomes even MORE difficult. I also have a wild toddler running around so he can't just kinda drift off in the living room, know what I mean? I'm trying to figure out how to do this with two of them.. It's not fun. :(
  • Options
    Is it nap time or night time you are struggling with? Or both?

For naps I always aim for between 1 hr and 1 hr 45 awake time before putting LO down. I factor in about 15 minutes for her to go to sleep.

For naps it's nappy change, curtains pulled, half swaddle, a wee brush of my fingers on her face with a "mama loves you" then I walk out. Usually she'll chat and then fuss a little before falling asleep. If she's winding up I go back in and tell her "sleepy time, see you soon" and walk out. I do this every few minutes if I need to but it's usually just once if at all.

For nights we have a separate routine which is bath, upstairs, feed, full swaddle, bed. After a full feed of nearly an hour she is ready for sleep at about 7.30pm.

I've found that the biggest thing is consistency, not trying all sorts of things in the hope they work. Set a routine that is appropriate and works for you and baby and then work towards it. If your LO wakes early from naps just go with it and do it again next time. And if it takes forever for them to go down at night, or something happens to mix things up a bit, again go with it but keep doing the same thing so they get it and it will get shorter and easier.
    TTC Since March 2010 - 2 angel babies - BFP December 12 EDD 12 Aug 13 Lilypie Maternity tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

This is what I was doing initially. But I started to realize that he is the type of baby that will stay awake until he's exhausted beyond belief and then loses his mind. At that point, sleep becomes even MORE difficult. I also have a wild toddler running around so he can't just kinda drift off in the living room, know what I mean? I'm trying to figure out how to do this with two of them.. It's not fun. :(

My DS does this. He fights sleep. The more tired, the more fight! Works himself up. I have up watch him carefully for signs of being tired.

I swaddle him and sway him in my arms in a totally dark room with the white noise on high.

Count me as jealous of you ladies with the easy babies. This one gives me a run for my money!

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Options
    Like clockwork, my babe gets tired and fussy after being up for about 1.5 hours. She will not fall asleep unless I initiate though. So either putting her in her crib (she will kick around, but eventually fall asleep), or rocking/holding her, go for a car ride. She sleeps for about 30mins-1 hour each time.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We have Alexis nap around Lucas. She has to get used to him running around being loud. Her and I usually snuggle to sleep.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    We have Alexis nap around Lucas. She has to get used to him running around being loud. Her and I usually snuggle to sleep.
    Yep. LO naps in the room with awake wild toddler because that is going to be a fact of life. I do try to teach my toddler to be quiet and steer clear. She is really getting it now. :)

• Options
    Some kids are just awful sleepers and there is no magic trick.

DD1 was and is only mildly better now. I shudder to think of the money I wasted on products marketed to help. Ultimately I had to rock her until she was totally unconscious and hope and pray that when I laid her down she'd stay asleep. If all else failed I just wore her. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

My SILs daughter is exactly the same way.  She has had to be much more strict with setting a "schedule" because of it, her DD has never once just fallen asleep when she was tired. Some babies are just like that, and I know it is really tough.  I would maybe try an even shorter awake period (45 minutes?) and see if that helps. My SIL has had good luck with putting her daughter in the stroller or carrier and going for a walk outside, but I know that is hard with a toddler.  
    Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options
    I nurse him to sleep on the boppy.  I know - it's horrible.  But it works.  In fact, he's sleeping on his boppy as I type.  Then I put him down with white noise.  
  • Options
    My first was my horrible sleeper. I got lucky with baby #2, I just swaddle and nurse her and put her in the PNP. I usually turn on white noise to help drown out her brother. She'll also sleep in the swing or wrap during the day.
  • Options
    We do the last feeding of the night between 9 and 10. We change his diaper afterwards, swaddle him, and put him in the pack n play in our room. I turn on the lullaby app I have and use the fan as white noise. He will fuss for some (as I mentioned in the CIO post) but will go to sleep. 

We are pretty lucky and scored great with the first baby (he is a good sleeper). I am sure this will come back and bite us in the butt when the 2nd one comes along. 

During the day, he takes his afternoon naps in his bouncer or rnp. 

*E - 08/29/2013*

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"