Attachment Parenting
Options

XP from my birth club: baby acupuncture

I know we've got a few crunchy mamas on this board. This will be the true test of your crunchiness. Have any of you had acupuncture done on your baby? 

I've been going to an acupuncturist for a few years now. I went first when I had a 2 month long cold that I couldn't shake and he fixed me up within 2-3 sessions. Ever since then I've gone to him for just about every ailment and every 6 weeks for a tune-up. He even flipped DS when he was breech.  Needless to say, I have a lot of faith and trust in him. 

DS has a cold (coughing, runny nose, sneezing) so I'm taking him tomorrow morning to get acupuncture. I'm just curious if anyone has done this yet and how your baby responded. I'll let y'all know how DS does!

Re: XP from my birth club: baby acupuncture

• Options
    I've never done it. I have a great fear of needles. ::shudders::

Due to my own irrational fears and my concern about squirmy babies, this is not something I would do for my child. I would, however, consider a visit to the chiropractor for a gentle adjustment.

Do let us know how it goes! I didn't even think acupuncture was an option for infants.
    imageimage
  • Options
    We haven't done acc with DD, but she did have a post-birth adjustment by the in-house therapist at our birthing center. Hope it helps!
    TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    So he had his acupuncture done this morning. I think it went well. The doctor did it in stages and gave him breaks in between. The only time he cried a lot was when he put the needles in points on his back. I know from experience that those are the most painful points. I walked outside with him while the needles were in to keep him relaxed since it hurts if you move.

He got needles on his hands, feet, legs, ears, top of his head, and back. Not all at once though. Then the doctor put some moxybustion oil on his back, back of his head, and feet, and blow dried the areas to warm them up and activate the oil. DS seemed the particularly hate that part. Then he fell asleep in the car, transferred to his mattress easily (which is shocking), and is still asleep an hour later. (again, this is shocking) Poor little bub. Hopefully he'll sleep it off and feel better! 

I'm also taking him to the pediatrician this afternoon. Want to have all my bases covered. A neighbor may have whooping cough, so I'm being overly protective.

Here are some pics. You can see the needles in his legs, feet, and back.

• Options
    edited November 2013

Actually, I once saw a baby who had been treated with acupuncture come in to the unit where I worked with a huge infection in a knee from one of the needles. He would likely never be able to walk normally because of this. His parents thought they had done the right thing by helping him with acupuncture (he had colic) and it ended up having such a sad outcome. my heart broke for all three of them, and because of this I will never take my LO to get acupuncture even though I myself have had a great experience with it. Especially not for something "simple" like a cold.
    Well that's helpful after the fact.
    She can keep an eye on it and respond more quickly if anything looks off.
  • Options
    Actually, I once saw a baby who had been treated with acupuncture come in to the unit where I worked with a huge infection in a knee from one of the needles. He would likely never be able to walk normally because of this. His parents thought they had done the right thing by helping him with acupuncture (he had colic) and it ended up having such a sad outcome. my heart broke for all three of them, and because of this I will never take my LO to get acupuncture even though I myself have had a great experience with it. Especially not for something "simple" like a cold.
    I appreciate the input and will keep an eye on the areas that he had needles. I'm not terribly worried since I literally watched the doctor take each needle out of the sterile bag. Plus, DS is also on antibiotics because he apparently also had an ear infection. And while this info probably won't dissuade me from doing acu again, it's good to know so I can make sure the needles are sterile and to keep an eye on the points that were used.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"