Natural Birth
Options

How did you choose your birthing method? (Long)

Hello ladies! I haven't really posted here, so I should introduce myself first. I'm Angie. I'm a 30 year old mostly stay at home mom, but I work as a casual RN in hospice too. I just found out that I'm due in June (on my birthday!) and am doing everything possible to prepare for a natural delivery.

Background: With my first, I went in with the attitude of, "if I can't handle it, I'll just get an epidural." I was induced and had back labor, and my epidurals didn't work. The last one numbed me from the thigh to toes on my left side, though, so I couldn't even change positions. It was awful and totally my fault for being absolutely unprepared.

I'm absolutely committed to NUCB this time and am looking into birthing methods. In leaning toward hypnobabies mostly based on my personality as well as my DH a little. I'm a person who prefers to be left alone as much as possible when in pain or performing a difficult task. I don't want to be talked to or touched, I just want to be in the zone and get it over with. I found myself the most comfortable in my last birth shortly after transition, before pushing, when the room was silent and I was breathing as quietly as I could. My DH would step up to be an active coach if I asked, but he's not all that comfortable with the idea.

Sorry that's so long. Basically, I'd just like to know what method you used and if you thought it was a good fit. Also, if you made it through all of that, I'd love to hear if you think I'm leaning in the right direction.

Thank you!!
*E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: How did you choose your birthing method? (Long)

• Options
    For my births I didn't use a particular method. I read up on different relaxation techniques and though through things I might like, like the shower and hot tub, but on the day just did what worked best.

From what I understand of hypnobabies, it does sound like a good fit for you.

I think you're doing a great job really thinking things through before hand.
    best wishes.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    I choose the Bradley method.  I wanted my H to be my main coach and supporter during L&D.  With that being said I did not want him to cheer me on or talk to me or tell me what to do.  I wanted him to be the kind of coach who stayed in the background but knew what was going on and what I may need.  If he saw that I needed something he would then step up and do what I needed or make suggestions.  For example at one point I got really worn down (our doula was on the way but I had been laboring at home for 4+ hours already).  I told him I was tired and the contractions were starting to get intense.  He suggested changing positions which was what I needed to hear.  I had not considered changing positions because I was so zoned in to the contractions.  That was the kind of coaching he and my doula did which worked well for me.

I don't know much about hypnobirthing but many women like it. I think your assessment of what you want and how you react in L&D is great and if that meshes well with the hypno principles than it is a great fit for you. GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I chose Bradley, mainly because a friend of mine who I trust recommended it.  For me, educating DH about natural birth was important, and the classes were great with that.  The classes also helped me understand interventions and when they are and are not necessary.  I didn't use any of the relaxation techniques or positions that we learned in class, but I felt like I was mentally prepared for what would happen during labor. 

Hypnobabies wasn't for me.  I just don't like to meditate and focus like that.  But, many ladies here will tell you how much it helped them.  I think you know yourself best, and it sounds like it may be a good fit for you. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Another Bradley mom here. I chose it because I didn't like the "hypno" part of hypnobirthing and all the tapes and things you have to deal with. I liked that Bradley didn't try to distract from the pain but rather has you yield to it and cope with it.  
    It's funny you mentioned the touching thing. In class we watched a birth where the husband had his hands all over the woman as she was laboring. I told DH if he touched me that much he was going to lose a limb.  
  • Options
    I think you are on the right track with Hypnobabies.  I did Hypnobirthing and while they are not the same, my understanding is there are some similarities.  I thought Hypnobirthing worked amazingly well.  The key is practice, practice, practice!  Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks so much for your replies, ladies! I love hearing your stories and advice!!
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I did hypnobabies and I loved it! It helped me labor through 75 hours of "active" labor relatively comfortably. Without it I'm sure I would have had a c-section by day 3. It really does help you get in "the zone" while still allowing you H to help. It does take dedication to practice every day though. Hope you find the best way for you. GL

Engaged 10/2/1202
    BFP (a lil quicker than expected) 12/7/2012
    Married to my best friend 12/24/2012
    Beautiful baby girl arrived 8/15/2013
    BFP #2 3/13/2016

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I did Lamaze. That was one of the classes offered at the hospital. I couldn't justify spending the money and time for Bradley. I did do some reading on it and really liked it though. My friend gave me her hypnobabies cds and paperwork. I did that mid pregnancy and went to the Lamaze class about two months before i was due. In the end Lamaze was perfect for us. I got in the zone and basically nover made a peep. Dr said he has never had a more quiet delivery. Dh kept me on track with my breathing and my mom ended up staying to rub my back. Dd was sunny side up which made for some uncomfortable back labor.
                    Our Blessing From God Through Adoption
                   Our Blessing After TTC for 6 Years (natural birth!)
                             EBFing, CDing, BWing, SAHM
  • Options
    Hypnobirthing is the way to go. They will teach you how to relax in labour and the contractions should not cause you any pain. It is adrenalin that we secrete when we are anxious that messes up labour. There are receptor sites on the cervix for adrenalin and it can become rigid and harder to open. The contractions then have to become stronger and so cause pain. If you can practice relaxation in the pregnancy then you will be ready when labour day arrives and you are not secreting any adrenalin. You also need to stay upright, the hypnobirthers may not teach you this. Lying down in labour causes the uterus to push baby up hill, much harder than down. Stay upright on a chair or birth ball and relax. My second labour was beautiful and pain free so I know it works. Good Luck, Ann.
    www.painfreelabour.blogspot.co.uk
  • Options
    I'm on my 4th pregnancy, so I'm not taking a class nor do I follow one type of birth plan. I would say it's a mixture of meditation, breathing, and just allowing my body to take over. I think a woman's body is designed to know what to do, with or without a class. And as far as husbands, I think they are also designed to comfort and protect and 9 times out of 10, will know what best to do for their wife and her needs. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    Sounds like you are already off to a good start!

I took a Lamaze class, but otherwise didn't follow a particular method. I prefer to handle pain on my own, so DH and I talked about a few of my favorite methods from the class, but otherwise I asked him to leave me alone unless I was asking for something (massage, hold my hand, help me turn, etc)

It worked out very well for us. I meditated and breathed through most of the contractions. I had DH massage my thighs, which was heavenly at the time. My biggest take away was to listen to my body and embrace what was happening. 
  • Options
    I LOVED HypnoBirthing!!!!!!! It made way too much sense to not do it. They CDs that you listen to to prepare for the birth are kind of corny but other then that it is amazing!!!!!!! Each pregnancy I reread the book just to refresh my memory and give myself positive reinforcement. I also did a water birth with DS and that was so spectacular it's  not even funny!!! Good luck, you seem like you know what you want and know yourself well.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"