August 2013 Moms
Options

What's "empty" for you?

The LC says to pump until I'm empty on both sides and add 3 minutes... That's what I've been doing 8 weeks now. But yesterday, I was pumping in our room with a girl at work, and she was surprised I was stopping since I still had an occasional drip (1 drop in 4 pumps). She says she waits until she has no drops whatsoever.

I have supply issues, so I want to get all I can. I think I'm pumping until I'm empty, but what do you consider "done"? I feel like I could drip occasionally forever and never leave the pumping room!!
Married DH <3 : 7/7/12; 3 fur babies (2 dogs and 1 cat)
DS born 9/3/13; DD born 7/22/15; LO due 5/28/18
FS (age 5) and FD (age 2) to become AS/AD very soon!

Re: What's &quot;empty&quot; for you?

• Options
    There are multiple "letdowns" are you having more than one let down? Sometimes I will drip a little and then have another let down. Maybe she does the same. If you aren't having multiple let downs I agree you may want to keep after it awhile longer.

• Options
    I just stop pumping when the milk stops. However, if I was having supply issues or was unable to pump enough, I would continue hoping to get a second letdown.

But I agree with @petey1106 that pumping after your milk flow has stopped is really uncomfortable.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I pump to relieve engorgement so I pump basically until I feel comfortable.

The breast never runs out of milk so is there ever really an empty?
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • Options
    I pump until there's nothing coming out. I can't imagine continue to pump after that point. As pps have said it's really uncomfortable. I'll drip for a minute or so, then massage and if there's nothing after that I have to stop or it becomes painful.

• Options
    I would continue to pump forever if I did that, so I pump for 15 minutes ,wherein I get at least 3 letdowns.

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• Options
    I agree with everyone. I just started drinking mothers milk tea this week and I feel like it has helped my supply, have you tried that yet? Good luck!
  • Options
    BellaOso said:

There are multiple "letdowns" are you having more than one let down? Sometimes I will drip a little and then have another let down. Maybe she does the same. If you aren't having multiple let downs I agree you may want to keep after it awhile longer.

I usually have 2 letdowns... One at the beginning and one at 10 minutes. That's usually all I can get. Pumping with nothing coming out doesn't hurt me, it's just frustrating.

• Options

I agree with everyone. I just started drinking mothers milk tea this week and I feel like it has helped my supply, have you tried that yet? Good luck!

I tried tea. Cookies. Herbs. Prescriptions. Exercises. I drink 200oz of water a day. I do breathing techniques to relax before every pump. I have a hands free pumping setup. I massage while I pump, too.

I've just come to accept I won't ever make enough. But- I don't want to hurt it by not emptying like I'm supposed to!!

• Options

I think this is why I'm so confused!

• Options
    You will never truly be empty. Kellymom says to pump for 15-30 minutes. The max I pump for is 20 minutes and that's only when I get distracted and forget to turn the pump off. At work, I get 2 20 minutes breaks and in there is the set up/clean up so I pump for 15 minutes. I still have some coming out, but I can't take longer.

I just read that electrolytes can help increase your supply. So Gatorade or water with electrolytes added might help too. Are you EPing or just pumping at work? If just EPing, still do skin to skin with baby. At work, bring something that smells like him or take a video on your phone of him "talking" that might help stimulate you more while pumping.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    @magdalina.h I didn't know that about Gatorade. We drink a TON of it so I'm happy to hear this.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • Options
    You can over hydrate making your supply worse. You shouldn't be peeing completely clear. See if that helps.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    mommabmb said:

I think this is why I'm so confused!
    This is how I feel too!! I normally end up continuing to pump until there's absolutely no drip.. The irony is that you then get frustrated when nothing is coming out which is probably causing you to expel even less :-( I've found that if I completely distract myself and not stare at the drip, I have better results. It's like watching water boil!!

Also, not sure if you saw the thread the other day about flange sizes, but I'm trying different sizes as a last ditch effort to try and increase my pump amounts.. Maybe worth looking into :-)
    Mason Lee 
    Born 8/18/13 
    A13 May Siggy Contest 

• Options
    I pump 15 min (20 when I forget) and usually have milk coming the whole time. I've kind of got a lot though.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"