April 2014 Moms
Options

FTM fear about baby monitors

Hey guys, I had a nice Little crying meltdown this am. I'm trying to figure out what baby monitor to get. Fueled by crazy hormones I'm now convinced if I do t have a movement monitor my baby will drop dead. Please help calm my crazy hormones!!!

Re: FTM fear about baby monitors

• Options
    I think answers will totally vary on this.  Some people swear by basic $25 monitors.  Some people swear by $200+ video monitors, lots of people on the bump recommend this one motorola one.
      The first thing you should do is decide what your budget is!

I personally think it is crazy to spend $200 on a monitor, but that is just me.

We have this video monitor, it is $99 and we have no complaints about it!
    https://www.amazon.com/Infant-Optics-Digital-Monitor-Vision/dp/B0052QYLUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383402859&sr=8-1&keywords=video+monitor
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Just realized you were talking about a movement monitor.  

I didn't have one for either, and won't for this one.  I think they are a little unnecessary, but I am not the worry wart type of mama. 
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    With my first one, I got the audio only monitors (Sony brand, I'll try to link it in a second, I'm on my phone). They are awesome. They have two settings. One is the setting where you hear everything (and I could hear the baby breathing if i turned it up enough, which made me stop worrying as a FTM). The other setting is noise cancellation, which we use now that she's older (20 mo). It only lets you hear her if she makes noise in the night or if something in her room makes noise. Those monitors are very affordable and work very well. I'd recommend them. I'm totally the worry wort parent, btw. Lol.

However, that being said, I'm planning to get the video monitors this go round for two main reasons. One, my daughter will probably still be using the audio ones. Two, every night I check on her before bed (which I assume ill do with the new baby too). There are times I've had to forego it bc she's a light sleeper, so if I had video monitors, it would allow me to see her/him on those nights before I close my eyes.

Also, I just wanted to let you know that if you are the worrying type of FTM (sounds like you might be), the monitors can actually keep you from enjoying the little sleep you'll get. There were plenty times when I remember thinking that if I had a video monitor, I probably wouldn't be able to sleep bc if be watching it. My pediatrician also had to tell me once to turn the monitor down or off bc I was going in to check on her for every little noise and it was preventing her from sleeping all night. Just thought if share that FWIW.
  • Options
    All i know is my cousin got the angel care one and it constantly would go off falsely so she said forget that and got rid of it. I used just audio, for now baby is in our room but if/when we move, I'll do audio again. I can only see having a video one when a bit older. If baby is crying, baby is laying there crying, we know what that looks like!

Married 2005, DS: 2006, DD: 2008 EDD: 4/16/14- IT'S A GIRL! Scarlett Jean
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I got the tomme tippe one with my daughter. It has a heart rate monitor if you want, it's digital so no static, it has a thermostat (which comes in handy if baby is on the other side of the house) and it has a sleep mode where it goes silent until baby makes noise. I LOVE it!
  • Options
    Oh and it is $80. Not crazy expensive but worth the $$
  • Options
    think about the layout of your house, and what you expect your monitor to do.  we have 3 floors in our house, and i often was spending time 2 floors away from my baby while he was sleeping, so i definitely needed a monitor that had 2-way talk function so i could reassure him when he'd awaken from naps, as it took me a bit longer to make my way all the way upstairs.

our bedrooms are basically right next to each other, so i didn't feel the need for an expensive video monitor when my son was a baby.  NOW...  i will absolutely buy a video monitor this time, as my soon to be 4 year old will be sharing a room with the new baby, and frankly... i don't trust him to be 100% responsible with his baby sister!

monitors need to fit the need...  so determine what your need is.

re: the fear about SIDS and stuff like that....  you will soon realize parenthood is one big frightening 18 year long journey.  if it isn't SIDS in the first few months, it's croup, or food allergies, or vaccinations, or asthma, or autism, or bullying, or ... etc etc etc.  you have to learn to let go of some of that fear because you'll drive yourself crazy if you let it overtake you.  
  • Options
    I never had a movement monitor, how ever if it will put your mind at ease by all means.... I'm considering getting snuza. They run about $100 and if the baby stops breathing for x amount of time it vibrates to try and remind them, if baby still doesn't breathe after that it sounds an alarm. I was constantly up checking on my son, had I known about those earlier I would have bought one.
  • Options
    I'm a STM, but I never understood the monitoring in terms of SIDS. I was under the impression if it is going to happen it is going to happen. If you did have an alarm as t
    happily married since 2009, SAHM
    diagnosed with unexplained infertility, regular cycles
    Baby #1: ttc naturally for 3 years, 6 yr old daughter
    Baby #2: ttc naturally for 2 years, 2 yr old son
    Baby #3: ttc naturally since August 2016
  • Options
    to when the baby stopped breathing, wouldn't the damage already be done? As a parent, what would you do if the alarm went off? Would CPR save the baby?

Sorry if this is a dumb & morbid question, but I alway thought that if their body went without oxygen for more than a minute it was fatal or severe brain damage?
  • Options
    I guess I'll be in the minority and say that I love our Angelcare monitor. I had a cousin that died from SIDS when I was younger so I probably have more fear of it than the average mom.  We did have a few false alarms but it was when she was older and would move close to the edge of the crib.  I know they have some that come with two sensor pads to help that problem.  It gave me the peace of mind I needed to let my baby sleep in her crib. Everyone is different, do some research on different monitors and what they offer and do what is right for your family.
    Hannah 7/7/12
    Baby girl #2 coming April 2014!
  • Options
    I watched an episode of I believe it was Ellen, or another talk show, where the baby stopped breathing in their sleep and the alarm went off. The mother was able to go wake the baby in time.
  • Options
    My 3 kiddos survived w/ out one! I will say the super cheap monitors suck, so I would avoid those!
  • Options

I watched an episode of I believe it was Ellen, or another talk show, where the baby stopped breathing in their sleep and the alarm went off. The mother was able to go wake the baby in time.

I'll have to research this some more cuz I didn't realize you could just wake them up and they would start breathing normal again, the monitor would make sense to me then, I didn't think there was anything you could do once they stopped breathing. Thank you for your feedback.

• Options
    babym6705 said:

I'll have to research this some more cuz I didn't realize you could just wake them up and they would start breathing normal again, the monitor would make sense to me then, I didn't think there was anything you could do once they stopped breathing. Thank you for your feedback.

I can't say for sure that it would have been "SIDS" the child may have had a breathing abnormality.... It was just enough after watching to making me want one!
  • Options

babym6705 said:

I can't say for sure that it would have been "SIDS" the child may have had a breathing abnormality.... It was just enough after watching to making me want one!
    I understand, lol, I'm gonna talk to my OBGYN & maybe my daughter's pediatrician to see what they suggest too. I'm curious now bc before I didn't think they were worth the money but if you can just wake the baby up to resume breathing I would be interested in getting one. :)
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the input. I think I'm just having one of those super emotional days. As a FTM it's sometimes hard to stay calm about all these things I can't control and yes I know it's only going to get worse. Thank god for great therapists. I also didn't realize if it buzzed you could wake them up and they could start breathing again. I am a nurse practitioner and I think sometimes more knowledge is worse bc I've seen so many horrible things happen to babies and families. Ugh. Anyways thanks for all the advice. Maybe I'll go try and cook something yummy and smoothing and out on some quiet music.
  • Options
    Never used a monitor. If the baby is really awake you will hear and if they are just fussing I want to stay asleep. And as far as a breathing one goes, I think that would cause way more anxiety than its worth. Don't smoke, put baby on their back in a bedding free crib and your SIDS odds are minuscule.
  • Options
    we have a video one and love it. I have heard the angelcare ones or whatever go off false alarms often
  • Options
    I like the Snuza monitor. It has a clip that hooks onto the diaper (on the belly) and if baby hasn't moved in 15 seconds it vibrates a little to encourage movement. If baby has no moved in 20 seconds, it sets off an alarm. A few of my FTM friends used it and it really helped them sleep easier at night.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"