October 2013 Moms

EPing, what's a normal supply?

Sorry if this has been asked asked already, but I couldn't find any posts back a few pages and I've been off the boards while recovering. I have been EPing since my LO has a bad latch and has been unable to eat enough by nursing.  He is now 5 weeks old, and I pump every 2-4 hours.  I typically get 2 oz to 3.5oz each time.  I pump for 20 minutes each time. I have been taking Fenugreek for weeks and I try to drink lots of water.  

This seems like it's a low supply compared to others, but I was hoping to get some feedback from you ladies.  Any advice on how to increase supply would be much appreciated.  Or, if I should be happy with what I'm getting, that feedback is fine too!  :)  
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: EPing, what's a normal supply?

• BF babies take 25-30 oz a day typically, FYI.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Thanks!  The 2oz to 3.5 oz is the total of both sides each time. I keep trying to get 4oz total, but haven't been able to.  I have also tried the Mother's Milk tea and it doesn't seem to make a difference.  
  • Loading the player...
  • It depends on the time of day and time between pumps but I usually get 3.5 - 6oz total.  I pump every 3-4 hours for 10 minutes each side.  I've found that I dont usually need everything I've pumped and constantly have an extra 8-12 oz in my fridge.  It's convenient but DD rarely eats more than 3-3.5oz at a time.  So as long as your supply is meeting the demand of your LO, try not to worry too much :)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • It is meeting his needs for the most part, but there are some days I have to supplement with formula at a feeding since I just barely make enough.  He is also now wanting to eat more than 3oz at a feeding and I just don't make enough!  He is gaining weight really well at least.  He's up to 10lbs and his birth weight was 8lbs 3oz.  I would just love to get at least one feeding in reserve! 
  • kimbo1216kimbo1216 member
    edited October 2013
    Pump until you don't get any more milk coming out. Don't limit yourself to just 20 minutes. You may be cutting off a second let down. You are also telling your body that's all you need. Ideally, you should pump until you have nothing/very little coming out plus a few minutes after that.

By 5 weeks pp, I was back to work and pumping 5-6 times a day getting an average of 40 ounces a day. But I had an over supply. DD only needed about half that. I didn't mind having an over supply though.
  • I'll have to try going beyond the 20 minutes. I set the timer and use a double electric, so maybe if I go past that I will start to increase supply.  Thanks ladies!
  • try only doing one breast at a time.  i found early on that although it was more efficient to do two at once, i got more when i did them separately.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Ugh, the most I have ever gotten is 1 oz combined from both sides. That's for a morning session, usually it's more like 20 ml. :((
    TTC since August 2011
    DX: Unexplained Infertility
    IUI #1: Clomid 50mg + Ovidrel + IUI: 11/3/12 - BFN
    IUI #2: Clomid 50mg + Ovidrel + IUI: 12/5/12 - BFN
    IUI #3: Clomid 100mg (CD 3-7) + 75 iu Bravelle (CD 9 & 11) + Ovidrel (CD 13) + IUI: 1/10/13 - BFP! EDD 10/3/13
    **P/SAIF welcome!**
  • DD is 8 days old today. I have EPed from the beginning. Right now I pump every 3 hours and get 3-4 ounces a session. No idea if this is good or not?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm not sure what normal is but I usually get between 7 and 10 oz each time I pump (double pump) and I pump every 5-6 hours.  My son is 4 weeks old.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo octoberowls_zps78dd2214.png

May Siggy: Baby in disguise

photo photo1-1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"