June 2013 Moms

I left him in the car.

Yes, for real. My heart has not stopped racing and I feel so sick to my stomach. I now believe what has been said: "it can happen to anyone." 

For me, it was a change in routine.

Lucy had a playdate with a friend today. I needed to cut the date short to shop and prepare dinner for Tyler's grandparents, who just out of the hospital yesterday. My friend offered to keep Lucy while I shopped and cooked. Wyatt was happily asleep in his car seat. I hopped out at the store, grabbed a hand cart without even a single thought of needing a full-sized cart for his seat. I put a rotisserie chicken in the basket, walked over to the onions, and then felt like I'd been struck by lightning. I screamed "oh my gosh!!!", dropped my basket, and ran out the door. Thankfully, Wyatt was still napping and none the wiser.

I ALWAYS have both kids with me while shopping. Just not having Lucy was enough of a change to make me forget this enormous responsibility resting peacefully in the back seat. 

I have never been so ashamed in all my life. I'm horrified at what could have been. It was rainy and overcast today. But this is Texas. Weather can change in an instant. The what-ifs are haunting me. Please, if you don't already have a system in place to remind you, get one. I will never be so confident as to think it can't happen to me.

I suck at motherhood today.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I left him in the car.

• Don't beat yourself up. It was just a moment, he's fine, and I'm sure at no point in your life will you forget again.

When my son was in preschool, I was so preoccupied with work one day that I left the office, drove right past his school, and was in my garage before I realized that I forgot *something*. I left him at school. I cried the whole way there and it wasn't a big deal to them (or to him) because I made it before the pickup cutoff, but I was so upset about the whole ordeal. He had no idea that I had forgotten him.

Today, I can just look back and laugh. I hope one day you will too.

• I'm glad Wyatt is ok. Thank you for sharing your story.
    BFP#1 6/4/12 EDD 2/10/13 M/C 6/12/12
    BFP#2 9/28/12 EDD 6/5/13 J.B. born 6/6/13

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • creepy internet hugs to you, change of routine, sleep deprivation (I am assuming) and thoughts elsewhere, we are all human and it happens. Not that this is too make you feel better, and I have never told anyone this story, but when lo was a few weeks old I had gone out with a friend too target. She drove and I strapped his carseat in on the way there and then took it out when we got to target. Then when we were done and back in the car, I guess I was so used to just putting the seat In the base and I was distracted, and tired, I didn't strap the seat in. Luckily the drive was short, and just on small side streets, but my baby's seat was not strapped in! I still feel terrible about it and the one good thing is that I double and triple check when we are in a different car!

• It really could happen to anyone. Don't beat yourself up. When Lo was first born I drove 45 minutes home without him buckled in because while we were out I had taken him in and out of the carrier but I when I put him back in the car he had fallen asleep and his body and the buckles were covered by a blanket. I felt terrible. Also I left the thief locks off of one window on the third floor of my house and ds1 pushed up the window and climbed onto the sill and I found him pressed up against the screen looking down. The whole thing happened in an instant. I still get shaky thinking about that one but it really could happen to the best of us. You could always put something in the passenger seat in front if there is a kid in back to remind you when you leave the car.

• (((Hugs)))) 

image      image    

IVF #1 September 2012, beta #1: 213; beta #2: 580. Expecting Twins! 
    EDD 6/9 lost one angel at 9w3d :( 
    Baby boy arrived 6/1/13
    FET #1 10/14, BFP -Chemical Pregnancy :(
    Everyone Welcome

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Super creepy internet hugs to you.  It doesn't seem like it now, but one day you'll be able to look back at this as a funny story.
  • Murphie82 said:

Super creepy internet hugs to you.  It doesn't seem like it now, but one day you'll be able to look back at this as a funny story.

Definitely. Don't be too hard on yourself. It really can happen to anyone and the fact that you feel so bad about it means you are a good mother!
    September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • Accidents happen, that in no way means you are a bad mom! Hugs! We are all human.

• Thanks everyone. I'm just so humbled. I guess some (clearly self-righteous) part of my brain assumed that only parents who maybe don't care enough make mistakes like this. I'm a jerk for having thought that.

I'm very sleep-deprived plus experiencing terrible withdrawal symptoms from stopping zoloft. I had terrible panic attacks last night and seriously got about 2 hours of fragmented sleep. I was so foggy today. Guys, I can't stop crying.

• Oh god, tab. I'm so sorry for you, but I'm glad he was okay!
  • Big hugs! Take a deep breath, you are a good mom!
    My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• Hang in there! Truly thank you for sharing your story and urging us to have a system in place.  I now fully intend to.  Thank you.  You're ok!!! 
  • How scary! So glad he's ok! I'm paranoid all the time and always check the back seat after i put him in...just to make sure. Its such a fear of mine to forget him somewhere else.

• My dad forgot me at school for over an hour once, and my mom ran over my foot with the car.  I love them both to distraction, and your kids love you, too. You're not even a jerk for thinking you wouldn't make this kind of mistake.  If we were all fixated on every little thing we could screw up at any given moment, we'd be totally paralyzed.  (I stayed awake for hours one night when I got the idea in my head that sleep deprivation could make me accidentally put the baby down the laundry chute with the clothes.  Hello, more sleep deprivation.)  Do your best to forgive yourself!  Big hugs, and give Wyatt some extra snuggles to make you both feel happier.
  • How scary! So glad he's ok! I'm paranoid all the time and always check the back seat after i put him in...just to make sure. Its such a fear of mine to forget him somewhere else. Hang in there!! He is safe!!

• Creepy internet hugs....this really could have happened to any one of us. Do not beat yourself up. It is not like you left him in the car on purpose. You will look back on this one day and laugh about it.  Case in point, my grandmother had 7 kids and always tells the story of leaving her youngest child at home. My grandmother took the kids to the market and when they get there she asks, "Who has the baby?".  Of course no one had the baby.  They had left him at home in his crib. This was over 50 years ago.  To this day, the phrase "who has the baby?" will get my family laughing. Please cheer up.
  • GracieL79GracieL79 member
    edited October 2013
    Like others have said, it could happen to anyone. He's ok and that's all that matters. Thanks for sharing. I'm definitely going to come up with something now to remind myself I have LO in the car.

• Hugs.  You are not a bad mom!  It can happen to anyone.  I am glad you shared this though.  Reminder for us all.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker<Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Oh sweetie, please don't beat yourself up! It really can happen to any one of us. I'm so sorry it happened to you. I need to have something in place to remind myself bc like you, I always have both kids or none at all. Having one would absolutely throw me off. Hugs mama. I'm glad you're all ok.

Lilypie - (tyeV)

Lilypie - (AarQ)

• I just read your other response and I so wish I was there to hug you in person :( Ugh. You've got a ton of things going on right now. I wish I was there to help a sister out ;)

Lilypie - (tyeV)

Lilypie - (AarQ)

• You are NOT a bad Mom! I clipped half of my son's finger off yesterday, slightly sarcastic, and felt like a heaping pile of shiz. I have been so paranoid that I was going to do the same as you bc of the lack of sleep. The guilt will get you but this seriously does happen all the time. Thanks for sharing honey. Big hugs.
  • I think it's admirable that you posted this for everyone to read. Hugs to you!
  • Hugs..in no way are you a terrible mom it could have been ANY of us.
  • Thank you for sharing your story/advice and I'm so sorry you are having a rough time. Hang in there, I hope it gets better soon. It could've happened to anyone. You're a wonderful mom.
    Anniversary       

• I'm sorry you are dealing with so much right now. I am really new here but you seem like a sweetheart. You are not a bad mom and I hope you don't beat yourself up with the 'what ifs'.

• It can happen to anyone. I'm glad he is ok and I understand why you are upset, but you are a good mom. The fact that you feel that upset over it shows how much you care about your children. ((Hugs))
  • I'm so glad everything turned out okay! Don't beat yourself up. You are an amazing mom. And we swear not to ever tell Wyatt!

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• Hugs!! I hope you are feeling better now, that had to be incredibly scary.
    imageimageimage
    My two girls Flower and Ayla Faye
  • It really could happen to anyone. Sleep deprecation is a terrible, terrible thing. You weren't on your game, so whst? Stop thinking about the 'what ifs' and be thankful it was the perfect day to do this. I've read many of your posts and know you're a great mom! Everything is ok :)
  • Oh lovely, I don't think there is a person out there who could possibly think you're a bad mom. We all know sleep deprivation, piled with a laundry list of things in our head that we're constantly worrying about. I think most of us would forget our head if it wasn't attached. I'm pretty sure most of us have one horror story about something we have done. Doesn't make you a bad parent, makes you human. Try not to beat yourself up, easier said than done I know. More big creepy internet hugs coming your way!
  • (hugs) You are NOT a bad mom. Take a deep breath!
    imageimage
    Our lil' diva: late like her Momma: 40 weeks 5 days!
  • Oh, zillions of hugs, tabs. Two kids are effing HARRDDD. I leave Amelia in places I shouldn't all the time because Chloe decides to set stuff on fire or whatever the hell toddlers do. My struck-by-lightning moment was when I realized Amelia was still on the changing table and I was picking up magnets off the floor because I got sidetracked. It happens. You realized it so quick, you didn't do it on purpose, and he's okay! <3 you, mama.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Hugs to you!! I always have this irrational fear that I'll do the same thing. Because of that I ALWAYS put my purse and anything I'm carrying in the back seat. Can't do much without your purse and reminds me to check the back seat, whether kids are with me or not. Glad all is well with Wyatt!
  • Oh tab I cried for you, reading this!!  I'm surprised I haven't done it yet.  I was buckling Zach into his carseat the WRONG DAMN WAY for the first two months of his life, so I'm not winning any Mom of the Year awards here.  No judgment, only big, awkward, boob-smushing hugs from me. <3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"