Toddlers: 24 Months+

Hitting herself

My 2 year old foster daughter is hitting herself in the face after I put her to bed. It's never in front of me; only in private. I hear her doing it and peek in. She cries for about 10 minutes after I put her down, and when she's done crying I hear the slaps. It makes me so sad to see. Anyone else dealt with this? Tips?

Re: Hitting herself

• dairygirl19dairygirl19 member
    edited October 2013

My kid doesn't do this (yet) but she'll slap her own fists together out of frustration.

It's a pretty normal toddler phase. They're learning to deal with their own aggression, figure out what hurts exactly etc. She won't hit herself hard enough to hurt herself so I'd let her work it out.

However, since she's your foster daughter, do you know the backstory? I'd probably check it out to make sure it's not past signs of abuse resurfacing or something. I ignore my own kid because she's loved and safe, but a foster child I'd probably just double check.

• My DD hits herself in the face sometimes after I tell her no about something which always makes me feel like a-hole even if she was being bad!  She doesn't do it very often though.  I usually hold her hands when she does it and talk to her but she does this in front of me so I see it happening. I agree with PP about checking to see about former abuse and checking with a DR.  Sorry I can't be more helpful.  
  • Loading the player...
  • When DD was younger and DS still does it, they will hit their heads with their fists when they are tired and nursing.  It might just be one of those things?  But as pp said since you don't know her full history, it might be worth checking with the doctor.  
  • Thanks, everyone. She has no abuse history that we know of (only neglect) but we really don't know. I have her 2 year physical next week, so I will tell the Dr about it; I didn't think about that. I've only had her for 5 days, so I'm hoping that as she adjusts to her new home, it will go away. Thanks for listening.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"