March 2014 Moms

Abnormal Hormone results

**sorry long post**

Hello all my name is Roxanna and I am 20 weeks 1 day pregnant, this is our first baby and we are having a little boy. I don’t post too much but I am starting to get a little worried. I am almost 31 (bday is nov 15) and I’ve have a few sonograms done, I had my nuchal translucency test done at 12 weeks and at 17 weeks they did a first trimester/second trimester ultrasound with blood work.

At the NT when my blood work came back, the genetic counselor saw the sono normal, my HCG level normal, but my PAPP A level really low, which placed me in a 1 out of 238 for baby having down syndrome. We chose not to do a CVS and we did another screening where they test my blood for placenta blood and chromosomes, the result came back negative, and that baby was healthy. Yes it was a screening but with a success rate of 99% accuracy.

Ok at my 17 week sono they took more blood, and when the results came back my OB told me I should see the genetic counselor again, because my results were abnormal and now because of my blood work at 12 weeks and my blood work at 17 weeks were abnormal, now they put me in 1 out 70 chances for baby having down syndrome (this call also came during a very stressful time at work so I was a wreck)

Once I was able to compose myself and saw my OB in person for my check up, she didn’t tell what they tested of what the results were, she just said that the genetic counselor would tell me all the details. I made the appointment to see the genetic counselor, which I am seeing on Nov 7th and having another 2nd trimester sono.

I keep wondering in my head what could be wrong, I honestly do not believe my baby has down syndrome, and if he does it wont change my love for him, I also am really terrified of the amnio, which I know the genetic counselor will offer. But what worries me most is that the abnormal hormone results may indicate something worng with the pregnancy itself and that is really what is freaking me out. I also have a history of PCOS, which I’ve had since I was 22 and was diagnosed when I was 26.

So my question is has anyone gone through this before? Anyone with PCOS causing them to have abnormal hormone readings? Anyone who has had an Amnio, was it worth it?

Thank you all for bearing with me and reading my whole post, but I’m just freaking my self out and waking up at 3 and 4 and 5am every night over this.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Abnormal Hormone results

• I'm 32, also have PCOS, and also having our first baby which is a boy. My Papp A results were low like yours at 12 weeks even though everything else looked normal. Then the quad blood work at 16 weeks came back with another hormone level for AFP being high. I had an early anatomy u/s at 18.5 weeks and the high risk dr said the baby looks healthy. They said that abnormal hormone levels without other signs of abnormalities in the baby could indicate possible placenta problems later in the pregnancy though. They did not recommend any additional tests now but did say that they will monitor the baby's growth more closely in the third trimester. Just keep in mind that a lot of these test results only increase our chances of having a complication but do not necessarily mean that something will definitely go wrong. I'm just trying to take this pregnancy day by day and not to worry too much! :)
  • Hi Banana4, yes my OB and the GC mentioned that because of the low PAPP A reading it might indicate placenta growth issues in the 3rd trimester, and they would keep an eye on the baby's growth. All these test are just scaring me so much more than reassuring me. i'm trying to take this pregnancy a day a time also. Let's see what the GC says next week when i see her.

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you jforsythia, putting it like ht .01% actually makes me feel a lot better! yes I am trying to stay calm, my husband has been a huge help for this, I'm typically not a nervous wreck like this, but since wing pregnant I've found a whole new set of nervous emotions! Puttin good vibes and bought a out there :)

• Meant thougts** :)

• I went threw this exact thing and since all the ultrasounds come back good I highly doubt your baby has neural tube defects or chromosomal abnormalities. They found my placenta was the problem when I just met with the genetic counselor and did a targeted ultrasound. My placenta didn't attach right, didn't form right and its not growing right. The quad screen showed I had a high level of AFP which is why I had to see the genetic counselor. Have they said anything about your placenta?
  • Only that the low PAPP A may indicate placenta growth issues later on and that they would have to keep an eye on the growth of the baby. That was at 12 weeks I'm seeing the genetic couselor on Thursday. I don't know yet what the results were from this last blood test, which was taken at 17 weeks, but yes all ultrasounds come back normal, he's growing normally and was 7 ounces at my 17 week u/s which was about an ounce bigger then average.

• Kandiroxi said:

I went threw this exact thing and since all the ultrasounds come back good I highly doubt your baby has neural tube defects or chromosomal abnormalities. They found my placenta was the problem when I just met with the genetic counselor and did a targeted ultrasound. My placenta didn't attach right, didn't form right and its not growing right. The quad screen showed I had a high level of AFP which is why I had to see the genetic counselor. Have they said anything about your placenta?

If you don't mind me asking, was your placenta issue discovered during this pregnancy or a previous one? If it was an earlier pregnancy, what was the outcome (did you make it to full term, size of the baby at birth, etc.)?
  • I don't have any experience with this, but I do hope you find some answers soon.  Try to find some peace of mind in knowing that your baby is still growing and you are doing everything you can to find out what the abnormalities mean.  Try some yoga, or slow deep breathing to release some of your stress so you can sleep.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.  Please update us after next Thursday's appointment.  GL

• Hello all! i saw the Genetic Counselor today and she believes that we are good, we spoke about the quad hormone screening and the nuchal translucency screening and how in combination, some of my blood results were abnormal, but since all my detailed anatomy scans/sonos are normal and the MaterniT21 test was negative, she said that she didn't think i needed an amnio. I am getting detailed anatomy scans for baby's growth due to a very low papp a hormone level, but so far the baby is in the 96th percentile, he's weighing at 1 lbs 2 oz (about 5 oz bigger then average for 21 weeks), I still have my same due date of March 19.

So overall we are good! and the docs are just going to keep monitoring me and the baby. It feels like such a weight lifted off my shoulders! thanks all for the support!!

• I would be careful and research your options before agreeing to an amnio. Just from a personal perspective my BFF had one done and miscarried the next day. She was 24 weeks. The baby would have been healthy otherwise, they determined in the autopsy.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @sopranoali Oh yeah, i'm totally against the amnio, too risky and i'm glad the genetic counselor agreed that i do not need one, it just terrifies me! the docs just have to monitor baby's growth and weight to make sure he is growing like he should, since i do have a low hormone which could indicate growth issues, but so far he is a beautiful baby boy in my belly!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"