April 2014 Moms
Options

I'm a FTM- Am I being too picky?

Ok so I have a very concrete vision of what I want the nursery to look like and I want the baby to have a round crib. I love the way they look and love that it's not the traditional rectangle jail cell! I know they aren't the most practical- that I will have to get a toddler bed sooner, that the bedding is insanely expensive, etc.,etc. I know all the cons but still want one. Well, as I was looking online at the specific one I want again the other day, every single website is sold out until at least January and the sites that do have it still are about $200 more expensive! They aren't available at any store where I live either! I am kind of freaking out because that's what I want but one of my sisters keeps telling me that I'm crazy and to just get a "normal" crib. I know there are some nice regular cribs out there but I'm afraid that if I don't get what I really want and have been planning on for a long while now that I will be dissapointed at how the nursery turns out! I don't want to have to "settle" and always think "Wish I would have just gotten the round crib!". So what would y'all do? And am I just being ridiculous?! Please be nice, lol! TIA

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: I'm a FTM- Am I being too picky?

• Options
    Ditto Kendra.

• Options
    I'm a FTM too and I'm being totally picky about finding the perfect glider and the perfect wallpaper. So I get it! I'm with Kendra: Wait for the crib and fix up the rest of the nursery. Don't feel bad about waiting for something you really want to have for your first baby. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    If it means that much to you, go for it. The baby can sleep in a bassinet for the first couple of months if you dont have the crib yet. Maybe a lil picky though :) But hey, its your baby and your house.

POS+April 2009-M/c May 2009, POS+July 2009-M/c Aug 2009, POS+ Novemeber 2009 -Baby Boy Charlie DOB 07/06/2010, POS+July 2011-M/c and D&C Aug 2011, POS+Dec 2011 -Baby Boy Ethan DOB 07/27/2012, POS+Aug 2013-TWIN BOYS! Jack and Miles born March 23rd 2014!!

">image
  • Options
    January is just a few months away. Order it & wait, especially since the extra $200 could cover the bedding (and then some).
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Options

I mean, yeah, I think it's picky, but I try to live by "to each his (her) own." If you want the round crib, get the round crib. Can you start on the rest of the nursery and just wait til January to get the crib?

I can and will start on the nursery and just wait until the crib comes back in stock!

@KimC85 I agree about not going crazy on one thing- but we already have most all of the other furniture for the nursery (stuff we had before getting PG that will work great and is actually what I want in there)I also have a sister who kept a lot of her baby items and will be passing those down to me. So we really just have the car seat/stroller, glider, & monitor really left for "big ticket" items and our church throws really great showers so I know they will most likely be purchasing a big ticket item off of our registry and MIL has said she wants to but something big and I'm sure my parents will also purchase something big- so I'm not too worried about cost, at least not yet anyways! I just don't want to seem ridiculous like a child! Lol

@Cecilbear I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants it to be perfect! :) Since it's our first I just want it to be special! I'm sure with the second one I'll be a little more relaxed and look back and say "Man I was insane the first time around!"

Thanks ladies- I just needed some other opinions besides family- family is just mean sometimes! Lol

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I love the round cribs as well. I ended up buying a very nice rectangle crib that transfers to the toddler bed, then to a twin. I thought, at the time, this was more practical. Well now that baby #2 is on the way, the crib will be moved into the new babies room and I will buying a toddler bed anyways for my DD. We never transfered the crib to the toddler bed for DD as we really never needed too.

So with that said, I say buy the round crib. If the cost is ok for you, go for it. :) You will end up buying another bed in a few years anyways. :)

Our World!!

Blaine Emerson                  Bailey Rae

3-31-14                               6-10-11

image image
  • Options
    Teresa1896Teresa1896 member
    edited October 2013
    Get what you like and makes you happy. 200 bucks is a lot for something that you wont need for several months afterwards anyway. I'd order it.

I spent months shopping for crib bedding that went with the color scheme I liked. The kicker: it's a bed skirt, and a quilt that she's never slept on. I just had it hanging on the back of the crib!

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• Options
    rlmanning said:

I love the round cribs as well. I ended up buying a very nice rectangle crib that transfers to the toddler bed, then to a twin. I thought, at the time, this was more practical. Well now that baby #2 is on the way, the crib will be moved into the new babies room and I will buying a toddler bed anyways for my DD. We never transfered the crib to the toddler bed for DD as we really never needed too.

So with that said, I say buy the round crib. If the cost is ok for you, go for it. :) You will end up buying another bed in a few years anyways. :)

My thoughts exactly- everyone (family) keeps saying buy a convertible but I know me and I know I'm ridiculous and will want something totally different when its time for a different bed! And who knows-it's possible I will become pregnant again quickly (since it happened so fast after my ectopic) and would have to use the crib for the new baby! I plan on keeping the round crib and using for future kiddos anyways! Thanks :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I mean, yeah, I think it's picky, but I try to live by "to each his (her) own." If you want the round crib, get the round crib. Can you start on the rest of the nursery and just wait til January to get the crib?
    Agree with @kendracoleslaw... I think it is picky too, but not necessarily in a bad way.  Everyone has the right to "want" things, and if this is what you want, then keep trying for it.  
  • Options
    If this is what you really want, then you should get it.  Personally, I probably wouldn't spend the money on this.  I'd rather spend the money on something more practical.
  • Options
    Oh I forgot to mention that I also plan on making the bedding for the crib! I'm telling you the bedding for those things are like $600 plus- insane!! I'm just making a skirt, and possibly a bumper (still deciding if I want to use one or not)and maybe a canopy- definitely not going to get/make a comforter- LO will have a stock pile of blankets anyways between me already purchasing some, my sister handing hers down and the shower, I should be set!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @toothpastechica I have seen those and really liked them but def waaay too expensive! This round crib is only $399- waay cheaper than some of the other round ones I've seen!
    At first I wanted an antique looking iron/metal decorative crib but after seeing they were in the thousands I decided that would not be practical lol! If only I were a celeb! J/K :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    If you want a circle crib, be ready to spend a lot of extra money on a special mattress, sheets, the crib itself. 

On another note... FWIW - Any crib, round or rectangle has bars so someone could just look at your kid's crib as a round jail cell.

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                         BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
          BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

• Options
    picky? probably
    impractical? most definitely
    but ultimately you're going to do what you want to and that's ok too.
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    BFP#2 7/28/13 EDD 4/9/14 Birthday : 4/10/14 Adalyn Nanette :)
    BFP#1 6/29/12 LTMC 10/20/12 (20 weeks) induced delivery 10/22/12
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    bornmommy said:
    If you want a circle crib, be ready to spend a lot of extra money on a special mattress, sheets, the crib itself. 

On another note... FWIW - Any crib, round or rectangle has bars so someone could just look at your kid's crib as a round jail cell.

Yes I have already taken those factors into consideration, found a mattress for about $70 and found sheets online for about $20ish-I know that's more expensive than regular sheets but it's ok! And I honestly don't think the crib price is too much- it's $399

LOL I never really looked at it that way! That's funny!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Sarahjess06Sarahjess06 member
    edited October 2013
    I always wanted a circle crib too. However at the time I couldn't see spending that kind of money. If you want it and have the money do it!

Although I threw a fit about the pack n play I wanted. MIL still got the wrong print. I was annoyed for a while but DS didn't even end up using it, and now it's just a glorified laundry basket.... :/

Same with the crib DS never even slept in it.

Edit typo
  • Options
    If you can afford it and don't have to skimp on other things to get the crib (and everything that comes with it), get what you want. I wouldn't stress out too much about it. I doubt you will be on your death bed thinking your only regret in life was not getting the perfect crib. It sounds like you have done your research and that is what you want so go for it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

"Rectangular jail cell" made me snort laugh.
    Get what you want if anything else will make you crazy. Better than getting something else and being crazy.

Lol that's how I feel about them but as @bornmommy pointed out to me they all have bars so mine would basically be a round jail cell! I didn't even think about it that way- but at least it will be a unique jail cell! :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    If you can afford a round crib and you want one for your nursery, then by all means, buy one! You only get to decorate your first nursery once. Have what you want!
  • Options
    Get the round crib. I am having the same dilemma. Now I just can't make up my mind because we just found out that Restoration hardware has an outlet about an hour from where we live and they have nice cribs. I think it's just going to come down to cost for us. Not that we do t have the money, we just like to stretch our dollars as far as possible. If they have a great deal on a round one, then I am getting a round one. If not, it's not a big deal to me. If you have been dreaming about a round crib and cannot live with having any other type of crib in there, then get the round crib.
  • Options
    @loveyoga I wish I had a restoration hardware outlet close to me, lucky!! Let me know what you get!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    we ordered our crib around 18/20 weeks with my son, and it arrived when i was about 32 weeks along.  it felt like a long time to wait, but it was really fine.  a january delivery shouldn't be a problem at all.

what brand is the crib?  the only oval ones i know of are stokke and argington, but argington isn't even in business right now (weird..)
  • Options
    I completely understand having a vision in your head and wanting everything how you want it aesthetically.  From that perspective, I'd say buy the crib you want, but don't pay the extra $200 to have it delivered now.  January is still 3 months out from April -- you'll have plenty of time.

From a practicality perspective... I dunno.  What is the circumference?  Maybe it's just me coming off the experience of having a naturally crummy sleeper who struggled with decent sleep for a year and is FINALLY looooooving her crib and sleeping / napping great, but I wouldn't be buying any crib that my child would grow out of in a year.  I will keep DD in her crib as long as possible -- we've worked too hard to disrupt her sleep habits before she's ready herself to switch to a real bed. All that to say, the other half of me says AIN'T NO WAY BUY A BIG RECTANGULAR JAIL AND CHERISH IT. 
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • Options
    I don't think it's too picky, if you're willing to cut corners other places in order to afford what you want. I also think it matters how much you're going to have to look at the thing — we got a really nice crib for this baby, even though it's not our first, because we have a full house and the crib will be rolling between our bedroom and the living room. So I wanted something beautiful! 
  • Options
    LEIGHLOVE09LEIGHLOVE09 member
    edited October 2013
    Not very practical but if that's fine with you and you are prepared to dish out more $ now and later then that's fine. And it's okay if it isn't in til January. That's still plenty of time to get room ready. This will be my second and I'm not planning on ordering furniture to January myself.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @spasticfantastic it's Dream on Me Sophia Posh circular crib in white

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    any chance you want the cherry color?  that's in stock and ready to ship on wayfair.com right now....  all other colors are backordered until the end of the year.

it's adorable, but it's not going to get much use.  it looks tiny.  your kid will grow out of it by 18-24 months, tops (as a point of reference, my kiddo was 36.5 inches tall at his 2 year checkup)  but meh, whatever...  it's what you want!!

i will promise you, though - the FTM syndrome is STRONG when you're nesting, and then once baby pops out your priorities shift and you suddenly don't give a hot flying crap about all of the stuff you totallyhadtobuybecauseitssooooooocute during pregnancy :)

after baby arrives, you start thinking about things from the mindset of whether or not it's washable, leakproof, quiet, and will assist in coaxing a baby to sleep :)
  • Options

any chance you want the cherry color?  that's in stock and ready to ship on wayfair.com right now....  all other colors are backordered until the end of the year.

it's adorable, but it's not going to get much use.  it looks tiny.  your kid will grow out of it by 18-24 months, tops (as a point of reference, my kiddo was 36.5 inches tall at his 2 year checkup)  but meh, whatever...  it's what you want!!

i will promise you, though - the FTM syndrome is STRONG when you're nesting, and then once baby pops out your priorities shift and you suddenly don't give a hot flying crap about all of the stuff you totallyhadtobuybecauseitssooooooocute during pregnancy :)

after baby arrives, you start thinking about things from the mindset of whether or not it's washable, leakproof, quiet, and will assist in coaxing a baby to sleep :)
    No I want the white of course! Thank you for looking- so sweet of you! And yeah I know it's small but I'm prepared to get something else when it's needed! I've actually read reviews that it's not as small as it looks but we will see- yeah I'm blaming it all on being a FTM!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You are NOT being picky! As someone who is passionate about interior design get the crib you want. It's ok if it can't come til January too because baby isn't coming until April and won't even sleep in it immediately. Check restoration hardware baby and child or Serena and lily they have really pretty round cribs (although I believe they are on the pricey side)
  • Options
    knotty-girlknotty-girl member
    edited November 2013
    I would check Craigslist or a used baby store. I've been checking regularly for some gently used designer cribs. I really want the Dwellstudio Midcentury crib, but I cannot justify a 1000k crib even though I plan to have more than one child. Also I feel guilty spending too much on a new crib because we were offered a perfectly good 800 dollar crib hand-me-down, but its really not my style. So I'm looking for something I want at a better price and I've found a few great options. I'll buy a reduced price crib from someone else who was foolish enough to spend full price on such a temporary furniture item.
  • Options
    They have really nice round cribs on GILT!!!
  • Options
    You can also try eBay?
  • Options
    The baby will be in a bassinet for at least 3 months at first, so order your dream crib and just decorate the nursery around it.
    It will be a better investment as well if you plan on more kids.
  • Options
    If you can afford it I say don't settle but otherwise this will be the first in many comprimises you will be making.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"