March 2013 Moms
Options

DS on-going constipation since starting solids

I started solids with my DS at 5 months.  Since then I feel like I am constantly battling constipation issues.  I went to feeding him all Ps - prunes, pears, peas, but when I go back to trying other foods the problem comes back.  Peas didn't help at all, and pears didn't do too much either.  I even tried juice, but he doesn't like it.  He seems to dislike sweet things so juice (even diluted) isn't happening.  Has anyone else run into this issue?  Has anyone tried a baby laxative?  I don't know if I should just give him prunes every day to keep things moving.  I am wondering how long it will take before he outgrows this problem.  I feel so bad for the poor thing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

;

Re: DS on-going constipation since starting solids

• Options
    Try mixing baby oatmeal with fruit for breakfast, it did wonders for my lo. It took a few few days but he's regular now.
  • Options
    Yes! I had this problem. I called and asked the nurse- she said the p foods would help her grow and avoid things like squash and bananas (maybe more
    I don't remember. And I had been giving her tons of those 2 things. She has allergies so we didn't have a huge variety or things. Now I give her each only 1x a day and the p things the othe times (she eats 3x a day ). So far so good!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Is he in pain? Their poop does get more solid when they eat real foods. You could always try giving your LO water occasionally too. Or if you ff then add a little more water to each bottle.
  • Options
    We had this problem and started adding a little prunes to all his purées. The first few we're mostly prunes and I kept adding a little less and now I don't add prunes at all and he's ok.
  • Options

hdall0807 said:

Yes! I had this problem. I called and asked the nurse- she said the p foods would help her grow and avoid things like squash and bananas (maybe more I don't remember. And I had been giving her tons of those 2 things. She has allergies so we didn't have a huge variety or things. Now I give her each only 1x a day and the p things the othe times (she eats 3x a day ). So far so good!

Funny, I've been giving him squash now for almost 2 weeks.  I wish I knew that was a stopper upper food. :)  I will definitely stop that now.

;

• Options
    Is he in pain? Their poop does get more solid when they eat real foods. You could always try giving your LO water occasionally too. Or if you ff then add a little more water to each bottle.
    He has been in pain at night and really strains hard to just produce a little rabbit like pellet.  I am going to start giving him water in his cup when I feed him solids.  Thanks!

;

• Options
    We had this problem and started adding a little prunes to all his purées. The first few we're mostly prunes and I kept adding a little less and now I don't add prunes at all and he's ok.

I'm going to start adding in prunes like you mentioned.  Thank you so much for the advice!

;

• Options
    Jbunny100 said:
    He has been in pain at night and really strains hard to just produce a little rabbit like pellet.  I am going to start giving him water in his cup when I feed him solids.  Thanks!
    Mine was the same, screaming when the urge to poop came and just the littlest turd would come out. We did prune juice and really pushed the p fruits and nothing worked. I ended up using an infant suppository and halliluiah the poop flowed!  I can see this being an on going issue for us too, I'll just keep giving juice and fruit on a regular basis and keep the suppositories on stand by if need be
  • Options
    I second water with solids. DS takes his regular bottle, then with solids he drinks water from a cup, and during play time he has a sippy of water that he mostly plays with but does drink occasionally.
  • Options
    Oatmeal every morning worked wonders on my lo.
  • Options
    With my oldest, I skipped all cereal. It seemed to make him constipated. He also got a small container of prunes everyday.

My two boys are getting a surprise May 2015!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    luvbug6315luvbug6315 member
    edited October 2013
    We use a sipppy of water with each meal also. She hasn't had any issues so far.
  • Options
    Prune juice! Get unsweetened organic and put it in the food or bottle! This worked same day.
  • Options
    I wonder if cutting back on the amount of solids would help. Their little systems just aren't set up for all the solids yet. I would cut back to feeding once a day and see if that works.
  • Options
    I have found that mango is the key to helping my DS go.  I am so happy that I finally found something that works!

;

• Options
    Our pedi said give water with every meal of solids. That has helped us, and I can tell when day care has slacked off on giving water because LO's poops get firm.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"