High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Epilepsy?

I had a few (5 or less) episodes as a kid (between age 7 and age 12) that were later diagnosed as seizures (mostly by my mom's accounts of them. She's a NICU nurse). As a precaution, I was put on epilepsy medication from age 12 to age 16, during which time I had no seizures and was weaned off the meds. I am now 25, and I'm really hoping for a natural birth at a birth center with a midwife. I've just heard that a history of epilepsy can label you as high risk--which in turn limits you to hospitalized birth. Anyone have any info, personal stories or resources for me? Again, I haven't had a seizure in over 13 years and am not on medication. Otherwise, I'm the picture of health and no one in mine or my husband's families have ever had serious birth complications.

Thanks!
 Anniversary

Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!image

Re: Epilepsy?

• Options
    I would highly suggest you seek a consult with a nuero. Altho you havent had a seizure in years you have a medical history of seizures. You have to remember when your pregnant your body goes through alot and it would be sad if one of the hormones sets a chemical imbalance in your brain that can cause a seizure.. Good luck hun.. Make sure you cover all ends.. If worse comes to worse your label high risk. At the end its for the benefit of your child.. 
  • Options
    Hi there,

I had complex partial seizures growing up (my last one was when I was 8) and I am currently on Lamictal. You will be labeled high-risk with an epilepsy diagnosis (active or not) because the stress of labor can induce seizures, whether you have a history or not.

No one else in my family has epilepsy and mine is caused by a non-hereditary congenital anomaly (basically - a complete fluke. There was nothing that caused it).

You should discuss your options with a neurologist. I am just about 29 weeks pregnant and they told me because my seizures are controlled and the baby is doing great, that if I wanted a natural birth, I could have one.

PSA: Also, I'm documenting my pregnancy in a blog. The blog focuses on managing my epilepsy and being pregnant. Feel free to check it out or PM with any questions you have:

https://partiallycomplexblog.blogspot.com
    Dave and Kathleen - 09.12.09:
    Partially Complex (my blog)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My epilepsy is due to a brain injury (auto accident), but I've suffered from it for 20 years.  It's been well controlled for about 10 years.  Three years ago, during my pregnancy, I found that my "triggers" were not coming up, and I actually felt better during my pregnancy then ever.  My neurologist told me that it's not uncommon for the chemistry to change in your favor during pregnancy.  So there's something to keep in mind.  Best of luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Great advice. :)
     Anniversary

Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!image
  • Options
    Hoping to just get some support here. I am recently pregnant and have a rare reversible brain disorder. It's so rare that not even doctors can really answer my questions. My condition reversed and I am totally healthy, but pregnancy is a trigger and it could happen again, although it might not. I'm still recovering from the PTSD of the month long, very painful and scary event. Ironically, the thing that caused the condition was an SSRI that I had been taking for an anxiety disorder! I guess I am wondering how people cope with complex medical conditions and manage to be pregnant, which is stressful enough.

I am working on faith and continually turning it over to God, knowing that I have no control.
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"