August 2013 Moms
Options

BTDT Moms - Halloween Candy?

I know some of you have said that there are things that you do to make it so your kids don't eat all the candy.  I think Wash said that she brings them to her dentist office, who then sends the candy overseas.  And then I just saw on Ellen that Allison Sweeny does a thing called the "Switch Witch", where she tells her kids that the Switch Witch is coming, and the kids can either eat the candy, or they can leave it for the Switch Witch and she will take the candy and bring a toy instead.  I thought that was a cute idea.

I know that when the time comes, I don't want my kids to have a crap ton of candy.  A little bit is okay, but when I was a kid we got SO much candy, and my parents really never told us how much we could eat.  I don't want to do that to my kids, so I'd like to hear some other ideas of what you do to make sure your kids don't eat a lot of candy!

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: BTDT Moms - Halloween Candy?

• Options
    I keep the candy on the top shelf of my closet. My daughter gets 1 piece at a time, and usually it's about 4 pieces a day. Honestly, I eat more candy than she does, so it never lasts long anyway!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• Options
    My dad used to buy it from us. Then I'm pretty sure he would toss it. It was fun negotiating the price of different pieces of candy!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    He can't open the candy by himself yet, so I can still ration. But I'll let him eat a bunch tonight. We don't go to many houses - he likes giving out the candy and yelling "Trick or Treat" much better.

Whatever is left over after tonight will be forgotten about tomorrow. If it isn't, then he'll get a piece or two the next day or I'll tell him it's all gone.

My kid doesn't really fixate on things like this, so I don't need to do anything elaborate.

• Options
    Does me eating it count? ;-)
    I think I'll end up just keeping it on the top shelf of the pantry and rationing it out so it doesn't all get eaten at once.
             image         image
  • Options
    Yep, that was me! They give the kids $1 for every pound of candy and we head straight to the store. I chip in more money for the toys than what they got for the candy but they don't really know that. They get excited that they earned themselves money and get to spend it on a toy.
  • Options
    My mom used to sort through it with us and we got to keep it all. This was back in the day when we took pillow cases as bags!
    I do remember having candy left past Christmas though...so it's not like we age 100 pieces a day.

Also, the 'Switch Witch' sounds like something that would have terrified me as a kid.
  • Options
    LokiLahve said:
    My mom used to sort through it with us and we got to keep it all. This was back in the day when we took pillow cases as bags! I do remember having candy left past Christmas though...so it's not like we age 100 pieces a day. Also, the 'Switch Witch' sounds like something that would have terrified me as a kid.
    Doesn't seem any worse than the tooth fairy that sneaks into your room at night when you are sleeping to take your tooth.
  • Options

LokiLahve said:

My mom used to sort through it with us and we got to keep it all. This was back in the day when we took pillow cases as bags!
    I do remember having candy left past Christmas though...so it's not like we age 100 pieces a day.

Also, the 'Switch Witch' sounds like something that would have terrified me as a kid.

Doesn't seem any worse than the tooth fairy that sneaks into your room at night when you are sleeping to take your tooth.

To a kid id say fairies are generally good and witches are bad. Also, I understood the concept of a switch when I was little. One was never actually used on me but I was sent to go pick one out on a few occasions.
    I think it's a cute idea and could be done of explained right to a child...or they could be scared by the thought of a witch sneaking around at night.
  • Options

My dad used to buy it from us. Then I'm pretty sure he would toss it. It was fun negotiating the price of different pieces of candy!

I thought my parents were the only ones to do this. I would still keep some candy but my parents "bought" the majority. I think this was a great idea. Helped us not eat too much.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    LokiLahve said:
    LokiLahve said:
    My mom used to sort through it with us and we got to keep it all. This was back in the day when we took pillow cases as bags! I do remember having candy left past Christmas though...so it's not like we age 100 pieces a day. Also, the 'Switch Witch' sounds like something that would have terrified me as a kid.
    To a kid id say fairies are generally good and witches are bad. Also, I understood the concept of a switch when I was little. One was never actually used on me but I was sent to go pick one out on a few occasions. I think it's a cute idea and could be done of explained right to a child...or they could be scared by the thought of a witch sneaking around at night.
    Not all witches are bad! Think Glinda the Good Witch from The Wizard of Oz! :P
  • Options
    Meh, my kids just eat some. MH eats some. I eat some. Eventually I toss the leftover.

• Options
    BlueJewelMBlueJewelM member
    edited November 2013
    There are two dentists office that accept it. One gives them $2 a pound for it. The other accepts it and sends it to our troops overseas. I would prefer to donate it to the latter. Just because I'm not sure how I feel about my children trick or treating as a way to "earn" money. It seems weird to me. But it seems to be the hot new thing to do around here.

When I was growing up my parents took us home when we had so much candy. I don't see the logic in trick or treating to the point my children have more candy than they want to eat over the course of the next month or so.

My kiddo is still a toddler through. So I'm still navigating this whole Halloween thing. The more I think about it...it's a challenge to "parent" this holiday. Lots of weirdness. Like, normally don't take candy from strangers! But....tonight it's ok. Too much candy is bad for you...but let's visit 200 houses collecting it.

I feel it has so many mixed messages!
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• Options
    I talk to DD about why eating tons of sweets isn't good for us and how we have to make sure we eat "growing up food" before we can have treats. She also knows we share treats with daddy's patients and soldiers over seas.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    It will be kept where Lucas can't reach it. We'll use it as a reward.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"