Baby Names

Kate or Violet

P&SPoppyP&SPoppy member
edited October 2013 in Baby Names
Hello! I'd love to hear your thoughts on our top choices for our baby girl, due in about 2 weeks. We're down to three options, and the names we can agree on are all more traditional. The top two choices are Kate or Violet, though my husband really likes Emily as well. I happen to like Kate or Violet more. Our son's name is Leo. Which do you like best?

Also, if we go with Kate, do you think anyone will make the Titanic connection (Leo & Kate), or is that movie old enough now where it won't make a difference?

Kate or Violet 118 votes

Katherine Violet (we'd call her Kate)
36% 43 votes
Violet Katherine
58% 69 votes
Emily (we'd likely call her Emmy)
5% 6 votes

Re: Kate or Violet

• diamondduck13diamondduck13 member
    edited October 2013
    Titanic was my first thought when I read Leo and Kate together. I can't remember the characters names, but I remember using Leo and Kate when I was mocking the story line (in the movie, loved the depiction of the Titanic sinking and attention to the truthful details, hated the love story of Kate and Leo. See, I did it again)

So, I couldn't do it, because of how I've used those names together when mocking the movie. But, with each passing year more and more will forget so you're probably fine with most people, especially younger generations

ETA I'm not a fan of Violet (its a color/flower which is NMS and when glanced at too quickly my brain puts it together as Violent) so even tho it sounds like you won't use it anyway, I voted Emily (Emily is my favorite of the currently overdone, IMO, Em- names)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The pop culture part of my brain is usually broken, but Kate and Leo still jumped out at me as Titanic. For me it would be like using Rhett and Scarlett.
    photo d55cd10d-0c40-4454-aba7-d1fb776cb4ff_zpsd847719c.jpg

Married my love 6/11/11 | MMC 10/11/11 | Eliza Frances born 9/18/12 | Rhett Garland born 2/24/14 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I like Kate and Emily more than Violet. Violet always makes me think of the word "violent." IDK why, maybe thats just me. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Emery Elizabeth
    Due Date: June 5, 2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• I immediately thought of Titanic at the Kate and Leo sibset. I voted for Violet Katherine. Beautiful name!
    image image

• mh89 said:

I immediately thought of Titanic at the Kate and Leo sibset. I voted for Violet Katherine. Beautiful name!

Exactly!

DS1-7/21/2011 @ 1:51am

DD-5/29/2013 @ 2:40pm

DS2-5/29/2013 @ 3:21pm

#4 EDD- 9/28/2016

• Violet is much better
    "Bedo" - Apr. 16, '13

#2 - EDD Nov.
    15, '14
    **RATE A NAME HERE!**
  • Kate and Violet are two of my favorite names so for me I would take both to hospital and "try them out on her"    See what fits :)   Emily doesn't hold a candle to the other two for me.   
  • Kmommy91 said:
    Violet is much better
    This. Love Violet
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I voted for Violet. Kate & Leo jumped out at me right away. I thought of Liam Neeson in Love Actually- "We need Kate, and we need Leo!"

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • I love Violet! It was on my list, it's old fashioned but pretty, without being a new 'made up' name.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"