April 2014 Moms

Panorama twice inconclusive UPDATE

MrsG325MrsG325 member
edited November 2013 in April 2014 Moms
I am feeling deflated. Yes like a deflated balloon. My dr called and yet again inconclusive panorama test. This is 4 weeks of worry waiting and wondering. Now what do I do? I'm feeling very anti amnio and my dr is pushing it on me as well as my husband. Then my mother basically forbids me from doing it. So yeah, I'm just sitting her all deflated wondering if ill get to be excited about this pregnancy ever

--------------
Thank ladies for your input. We have a limited anatomy scan today and decided to make an appointment with a genetic counselor for next week. Hopefully we can decide the best plan for us and this LO. T&p that this was all for nothing and we have a healthy peanut!

Re: Panorama twice inconclusive UPDATE

• I don't think I can do an amnio. I'd never forgive myself if I had a complication from it and lost the baby. I'd love to hear personal experiences
  • Loading the player...
  • That sucks. :( I agree that you and your DH should make the decision about further testing. It's okay for family to give their opinion, but ultimately it is your choice.
  • I'm sorry, I don't recall the backstory as to why you need the test. I assume you're at risk for something?

While I fully understand that it's very different for me say, not being in the situation or facing the risks, do your research on the amnio and the reasons your dr is heavily recommending it. I do not believe that drs push that procedure for no reason, and I also have read/heard that when done by an experienced professional the risk is significantly lower than the "average" that gets tossed around the web.

I came back 1-180 for trisomy 18 in my initial bloodwork which to me doesn't seem very bad after looking into it. Another dr I see said she wasn't worried about those odds (I see a 6 dr practice). Anyway- I just don't know which direction to think ad feel very hesitant about an amnio. I'm just feeling sad and lost and don't want to put my very possibly healthy baby at risk. The dr recommending the amnio by the way wanted me to just do that before anything else because results come back faster etc
  • Fwiw I have a friend whose currently on hospital bed rest at thirty weeks (and she's been there for a few weeks) because she's leaking amniotic fluid they think from her amnio site. I think you have to look at what information it's going to give you and how that information would change your plans over the next few months. Hugs. I know it's got to be hard to be in limbo for so long.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sidebar: how can the test be inconclusive? I'm not sure how it works.

In your shoes, I would do whatever my doc recommended. They are taking the risks into account and still pushing you to do it. That tells me that the information and knowledge you'd gain from the procedure outweigh the risks.

But at the end of the day, you need to make a decision you're comfortable with. Follow your heart. Good luck!

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• Thanks ladies- I guess hearing contradicting recommendations from two of my doctors in the same practice is really confusing me. Ill look for a high risk board.
  • Can you ask for them to do the materniT21 blood test?  I am not sure the difference in the 2 but maybe it will give you the answers you need without any invasive tests.
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @angie&junichi- thank you I will ask. I think tomorrow at my anatomy scan I can request different bloodwork. Maybe they keep doing panorama because its covered by my insurance
  • @mummyofsix- I am having a really hard time overcoming my fear of complications. How did you deal?
  • I had a CVS procedure (different but I still had it through my stomach and CVS carries a slightly higher risk than amnio) and as long as you have a very capable and experienced doctor performing the procedure, you should be fine. That said, I can totally understand why someone wouldn't want to have it and I was against it myself at first. I hope that I don't have to make the decision about whether or not to do one again. For me, it would depend on the reasons why I was getting it done. If you don't think you would be able to go without definitive answers and it would change the outcome of your pregnancy or even just change the way you go about your pregnancy, then I would do it. If you wouldn't do anything different, then why risk it?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• hordolhordol member
    edited November 2013

I'm sorry, I don't recall the backstory as to why you need the test. I assume you're at risk for something?

While I fully understand that it's very different for me say, not being in the situation or facing the risks, do your research on the amnio and the reasons your dr is heavily recommending it. I do not believe that drs push that procedure for no reason, and I also have read/heard that when done by an experienced professional the risk is significantly lower than the "average" that gets tossed around the web.

This is true---the skill level of the doc makes a huge difference in the success of the procedure!

ETA: I mean success rates. :) While miscarriage rates are typically around 1% for amnio, they could he half a percent or less for good docs.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• colleen said what i was thinking...  i happened to read a post over on F14 (it was ziggy's, i think...  which explains why i was over there to begin with) where moms were chiming in about the safety of amnio procedures.  someone there said it's actually SAFER to do it earlier because you have a higher proportion of amniotic fluid (and therefore room around the baby).

i imagine i would be like mummyofsix and just NEED to know, because that's my own personality.  i have a friend who elected to skip the amnio when her baby was found to have multiple confirmed growth abnormalities, and she cited the risk of miscarriage as her reason for declining the procedure.  i think in this case, the better the doctor, the better the outcome potential.  see if you can go to a really high risk OB and get a very trained person to do it if you do go ahead with scheduling the amnio.

so sorry you're struggling with any of this to begin with :(
  • Yes, @spasticfantastic read the same thread I did. It was safer to do it earlier on because the baby is smaller, so the pockets of amniotic fluid are bigger, so the risk is smaller. ETA: Ziggy updated today (I think) and her amnio went great. So, there's that.
    I read the same thread... I believe her doctor told her that at an earlier gestational age, with an experienced doctor and a high level ultrasound, the risk was something really low like 1 in 600 of miscarriage???
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • Commenting to show update
  • T&P for it all being for nothing and you have a healthy one! 
  • I hate that you are still dealing with this.  I know you have probably researched the statistics already.  I think there is less than 1% chance of complications.  I just don't know if there is a difference with a multiple pregnancy.   That being said, it is a big decision that both you and your DH need to decide.  Your mother does not get a say in this. 

Also, maybe you can check out the high risk and special needs boards.  You may be able to get better information on what others have experienced with these tests.  Just remember... these are just odds.  The majority of the time, babies are absolutely fins.

Our baby boy,Logan, was born still at 19w3d on 7/1/2011
    Our 2nd baby boy, Mason, was born still at 20w3d on 1/31/2012

After a much needed sanity break... we are praying for our rainbows

((BFP 7/29/13))  ((EDD 4/12/14))  It's BOY/GIRL twins!!!

• Thoughts and prayers for you, LO, and DH!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"