3rd Trimester

Shower Question

So I am currently 28 weeks right now, and I have been getting numerous questions from family and friends asking when my shower is and if they will be invited... which would be great, if anyone has offered to throw me one...

Now, I know that a shower is a gift, and I'm not throwing one for myself, and I will not be asking anyone for one, etc... (I did assume my mother would throw one since it's the first grandchild on that side of the family, but oh well)     

However, what do I say to everyone who asks me about the shower? Should I just tell them where I am registered so they can get a gift if they want and leave it at that?
image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Shower Question

• Just be honest! Tell them that, as far as you know, there hasn't been a shower planned. Usually people will ask if you are registered somewhere, or if they really want to buy you something...there are only so many places that people register for baby items. I know someone who is also pregnant right now and it was pretty easy to find her registry online without her telling me where she was registered.
    Working army spouse and mom to beautiful Aly!
  • Thank you!! I just didn't want people to think I was sounding "woe is me, I have no shower" LOL
  • Loading the player...
  • I was in this same situation. With my first I threw myself a shower. That was a headache. Being a FTM I had no clue someone else usually does that for you. So this time around i had no intentions of having one. I wasn't going to go through what I did last time. Luckily, some family members got together and planned me one. I'm due in three weeks ... and I had no clue this was coming. So like PP said, tell them where you are registered. A surprise shower might be underway like there was for me.
  • I got asked that a lot. I didn't really have anyone to throw me one. I got a lot of 'just throw your own'. The work girls are throwing a small work one, which is nice, but as far as friends and family, we are just going to throw a sip and see when baby is here, combined with a house warming, we just bought our first house.

I am getting a bit sick of everyone calling that BBQ my baby shower, makes me feel like I ended up throwing it myself anyway. While it would be nice to have a big shower, its not the end of the world to not have one.
  • What's tacky ?
  • MommyCC22 said:
    What's tacky ?
    Probably that you threw your own shower and now your having a second one.
     BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby GIRL due 12/26
  • Lol. Okay like I said I didn't know. Just to clarify things, I didn't do everything on my own. My mother actually planned to have my shower with my first and got sick so I ended up getting the rest together. Geez I didn't think everyone was going to go crazy with that statement. Sorry you think it's tacky. It doesn't bother me.
  • Well, apparently I am having a shower now, but my mom only asked if I wanted one after I let her know that I did a registry.... and boy was she SUPER EXCITED to be throwing this shower for her first grandson. :|

So I guess that answers that question...
  • This is my second baby, and instead of having a traditional "shower," we're having a "sip & see" party after the baby is here and had her shots.  Although I'm not throwing it myself, that is always an option for you.  You can still do a registry, because I'm sure people will want to send you & your LO something.  If no surprise shower happens for you, you can always plan a Welcome to The World party for your baby.  People can bring gifts if they like, and probably will for that matter, but for you it focuses on celebrating your little one.  It may also limit the number of visitors you have asking to come see the baby shortly after you arrive home from the hospital, if that's something you want.  We had way more traffic through our house than we were expecting with our first.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    December Siggy Challenge:

A Charlie Brown Christmas
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

imageimage

• MommyCC22 said:

Lol. Okay like I said I didn't know. Just to clarify things, I didn't do everything on my own. My mother actually planned to have my shower with my first and got sick so I ended up getting the rest together. Geez I didn't think everyone was going to go crazy with that statement. Sorry you think it's tacky. It doesn't bother me.

Nice backtracking...

PS, since you didn't know it was tacky to throw your own shower, I'm guessing you don't realize it's tacky to have one for a second child either.

I'm JUST curious but why is it "tacky" to have a second baby shower? Does it matter if the second baby isn't the same gender as the first?
  • I guess the tacky part is throwing the shower yourself. Regardless of how many babies you have, as long as someone else does it for you, work, family, whatever, its ok. I kinda agree. I wont have a second shower probably, since indint really need it.
  • I don't think a shower for a 2nd baby is tacky if it's just for close friends and family and just a few special things for the new baby.  Not a big "to-do" like a first baby, but still something to celebrate.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"