February 2013 Moms

FFFC

I'll start this.

Mine is that I've been fantasizing about winning the lottery every day lately. DH hates his job but hasn't been able to find a new one yet, and we are working on putting our house on the market but will probably get way less for it than we had hoped. Those two things have really been stressing me out about finances. So yeah, I fantasize about winning the lottery. And we only play the lottery about twice a year, haha.
PCOS with long, irregular cycles
First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

Re: FFFC

• @PeanutR1, now I wanna see a picture!! :)

• Loading the player...
  • I may have eaten leftover Halloween candy for dinner last night.

• My FFFC...

I'm close to using Benadryl on my son. A small amount. He hasn't slept through the night in two months. The last three weeks he gets up at least three times a night. Last night he wouldn't go down at all. Didn't go to bed until 3:00 only to get up at 6am. Plus the tornado siren was going off ALL night.

The first person to come at me wrong gets their face clawed off I swear }:(

Married: August 2008
    DS born: February 2013
    TTC #2: Nov. 14
    Chemical pregnancy 09/16/15
    BFP: 12/25/15 EDD: 09/04/16
  • I picked through DS1's halloween candy last night and ate the two peanut butter cups he managed to pick out.  He is the worst candy picker -- always goes for the Smarties and Skittles, blech!!!

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• I hope my son wants to do musical theater more than he wants to play football.

OMG - this is me exactly! DH and I both love musical theater.

I also secretly want DS to be the next Neil Patrick Harris! <3

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• @Sterling13 - you made my day with that!

• DC2London said:
    DH is hell bent against our kids playing football until something is done about the concussion rate.  
    We're the same way.  And I'm feeling that way about DD1 and gymnastics.  Everyone keeps telling us to put her in it because she is flexible and extremely coordinated, plus the kid is fearless - like, she was climbing the jungle gym at the park when she was teeny tiny and can do the monkey bars herself at age two.  And she's so petite - short with a muscular build.  I really do feel like she would enjoy the challenge of gymnastics, but it's just so darn dangerous.  I don't think we should do it.

• newmompeanutnewmompeanut member
    edited November 2013
    DC2London said:
    DH is hell bent against our kids playing football until something is done about the concussion rate.  
    We're the same way.  And I'm feeling that way about DD1 and gymnastics.  Everyone keeps telling us to put her in it because she is flexible and extremely coordinated, plus the kid is fearless - like, she was climbing the jungle gym at the park when she was teeny tiny and can do the monkey bars herself at age two.  And she's so petite - short with a muscular build.  I really do feel like she would enjoy the challenge of gymnastics, but it's just so darn dangerous.  I don't think we should do it.
    @+adamwife+, I was a gymnast for 15 years of my life and still have pain from it, even though I stopped 6 years ago.  I have nightmares about my DD being a gymnast.  Seriously.
  • DC2London said:
    @+adamwife+, I was a gymnast for 15 years of my life and still have pain from it, even though I stopped 6 years ago.  I have nightmares about my DD being a gymnast.  Seriously.
    I was a dancer - even majored in it in college and I feel the same way about putting my girls in ballet.  I just don't know if I want to open that can of worms, but more for body image reasons than anything to do with pain.

I think you just sold me on the no gymnastics decision.  What other sports are good for super tiny and muscular girls?

• haha I don't think I can be of much help for a different sport option.  I was always in tons of sports and always thought I was excelling in them, but looking back I see how uncoordinated I was! 

Although, the good thing about gymnastics is I don't remember any of the girls on me team having body issues. 

• YOGA!!! I used to teach kids classes at our local Y. It's great because it's not only physical, it incorporates awareness of mind and other benefits.

• Mine is that last night I kept refilling the trick or treat bowl so that the chocolate candy would be left on the bottom. DH eventually caught on though.
    Anniversary

• I picked every last reeses cup out of the candy we were handing out last night. Too good to give away!
  • I picked through DS1's halloween candy last night and ate the two peanut butter cups he managed to pick out.  He is the worst candy picker -- always goes for the Smarties and Skittles, blech!!!
    I was trying to not be annoyed at the volume of lollipops people were giving dd. I don't give them to her, out of fear she will bite them, and I can't stand them.
  • DC2London said:
    I was a dancer - even majored in it in college and I feel the same way about putting my girls in ballet.  I just don't know if I want to open that can of worms, but more for body image reasons than anything to do with pain.

I think you just sold me on the no gymnastics decision.  What other sports are good for super tiny and muscular girls?

I did put my dd in dance, but. We were looking into something else if she did like it. Our second choice was soccer.
  • Soooo, I wouldn't be totally opposed if DS plays football.  Actually, I'd love him to be the place kicker - you know, the least dangerous, least concussion causing position (but nothing else).  Really, though, he'll never play football if for no other reason than size does not run in my family.  We have a long history of bench-warming athletes.  When my mother took my brother in for his pre-pee wee football physical way back when, she said she was worried about him getting hurt.  The doctor's response?  "Lady, your kid is in the 5th percentile for height and weight.  He's never going to play long enough to get hurt."  The only football this kid is going to play is probably futbol.

On sports for girls - I was an elite figure skater.  Haven't put skates on since I quit, too many painful memories about what could have been.  Similar to gymnastics in that respect.

My FFFC is ... We're not so good at the politically correct gender stuff.  DS's toys are all "boys toys," like trucks and mini footballs and soccer balls.  The other mom in our nanny share was talking about not restricting her son to boy stuff, and all I could think was how much DS already loves his squishy racecars and that the only "girly" toy we've gotten was a sparkly unicorn that found its way into the puppy toy pile (and promptly got destroyed).  

It's not that we wouldn't let him play with any toy he'd like, and if he wanted a doll instead, that's cool.  I mean, it's just if I buy something, I default to boy.  Is that even a confession?  Maybe I just can't overanalyze ... it's like, I have a boy, ergo, I get boy things.          

• Since the theme is sports and gender related today...

Ever since we found out that we were having a boy, I've secretly hoped he ends up being gay :P I'm not even sure why. But for some reason the thought of a gay son appeals to me. I guess because I feel very passionately about marriage equality (although I'm soooo not trying to get that debate going here) and gay rights, and I feel like I'd be a good mom to a gay son. 

Anyway, DH and I are both musicians and we always joke about how we'll probably end up with the star quarterback or something like that. But now y'all have me thinking about the concussion thing. 

And for those talking about gymnastics, I'd like to chime in. I did gymnastics for a number of years and never had any issues. I loved it in fact. But I was never super competitive with it. 
  • PeanutR1 said:
    Since the theme is sports and gender related today...

Ever since we found out that we were having a boy, I've secretly hoped he ends up being gay :P I'm not even sure why. But for some reason the thought of a gay son appeals to me. I guess because I feel very passionately about marriage equality (although I'm soooo not trying to get that debate going here) and gay rights, and I feel like I'd be a good mom to a gay son. 

Anyway, DH and I are both musicians and we always joke about how we'll probably end up with the star quarterback or something like that. But now y'all have me thinking about the concussion thing. 

And for those talking about gymnastics, I'd like to chime in. I did gymnastics for a number of years and never had any issues. I loved it in fact. But I was never super competitive with it. 

Now here's where I will get flamed.... Imagine if I said "I secretly hope my son is straight." If I said that, I'd be attacked as a closed minded bigot, yada yada. How is that any different than what you just said? If what people want is equality, the tone of conversation on BOTH sides of the issue need to change. (For reference, I feel the same way about 'feminists' that poo-poo a woman's choice to stay home).
    This thread is flame-free fortunately! :D
  • Nothing on TB is ever flame free ;)

• @+adamwife+ I have to chime in on the gymnastics. I was also an elite gymnast and competitive. Since I quit, I've blown out my knee, both my ankles, and both shoulders. I've had ACL reconstruction on my left knee, ended up having my right ankle wired together after my SECOND surgery failed, and never have fixed my rotator cuffs.

Don't get me wrong, gymnastics was some of the best times in my life but there is no way I'll let my kids do it. It is just so hard on your body! I have naturally loose ligaments, so I was always super flexible. I know there are others who never had post-gymnastics problems, but it's been terrible for me.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• I am not liking this almost-walking-pulling-up-on-everything stage. I'm excited that E is almost walking but unless I'm constantly moving to where she can't catch me, she's pulling herself up on my pant leg. Then if I try to remove her from my leg, she clamps on to my fingers and wants to walk. I'm getting nowhere fast.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I second @knickerbockers! I hate that things I thought were out of E's reach suddenly aren't. And that he is trying to climb on the glass shelves of my TV hutch.

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• DS is cutting his first tooth and you would never know it. He's not fussy at all. Sorry mamas.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • TamaraR4 said:
    @+adamwife+ I have to chime in on the gymnastics. I was also an elite gymnast and competitive. Since I quit, I've blown out my knee, both my ankles, and both shoulders. I've had ACL reconstruction on my left knee, ended up having my right ankle wired together after my SECOND surgery failed, and never have fixed my rotator cuffs. Don't get me wrong, gymnastics was some of the best times in my life but there is no way I'll let my kids do it. It is just so hard on your body! I have naturally loose ligaments, so I was always super flexible. I know there are others who never had post-gymnastics problems, but it's been terrible for me.

TamaraR4 said:
    @+adamwife+ I have to chime in on the gymnastics. I was also an elite gymnast and competitive. Since I quit, I've blown out my knee, both my ankles, and both shoulders. I've had ACL reconstruction on my left knee, ended up having my right ankle wired together after my SECOND surgery failed, and never have fixed my rotator cuffs. Don't get me wrong, gymnastics was some of the best times in my life but there is no way I'll let my kids do it. It is just so hard on your body! I have naturally loose ligaments, so I was always super flexible. I know there are others who never had post-gymnastics problems, but it's been terrible for me.

Does naturally loose ligaments lead to more tears, from what you know? I am very flexible, and I keep tearing ligaments, I had to have my ucl repaired surgically about 4 months ago. I tried to ask my doctors PA about why this keeps happening, but I think the man is a robot and he didn't answer me.
  • holly321 said:
    TamaraR4 said:

TamaraR4 said:

Does naturally loose ligaments lead to more tears, from what you know? I am very flexible, and I keep tearing ligaments, I had to have my ucl repaired surgically about 4 months ago. I tried to ask my doctors PA about why this keeps happening, but I think the man is a robot and he didn't answer me.

In a simple answer, YES.  Loose ligaments mean that your joints are not as supported as they should be because there is too much ligament.  Therefore, when you walk/move, the bones are moving farther than they should.  As a result, or at least for me, this ends up in frequent dislocations of just about every bone in my body.  It's more noticeable with the little bones (i.e. hands, feet, back) but I have dislocated both shoulders as well.  When your joints rattle, like mine do, I end up with microtears which very easily turn into real, major tears.

Got to love Robotic doctors... I've had the same issue getting someone to take my tonsils out for 30 YEARS!

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• DC2London said:
    Gymnastics and ballet destroyed my body, but I don't intend to prevent my children from pursuing either.  Is that bad?  lol.
    I absolutely loved every minute of my dance career.  I enjoyed gymnastics, too, but dance was my true calling.  I will definitely talk with them about how to do it safely (so that they can benefit from some of my hard-learned lessons), but I will not discourage them from it.

I've had my DD enrolled in dance since she was 2 years old.  I loved my days in gymnastics, and if she ever wanted to do it recreationally, I wouldn't be incredibly opposed.  What I'm really against, at least for us, is the hard-core competition gymnastics.  It truly wrecked my body, like you said! :)

But I can't wait for E to be old enough to take dance, too! He's already bebopping in the living room with his sister and he can't even walk yet!

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• TamaraR4 said:

I've had my DD enrolled in dance since she was 2 years old.  I loved my days in gymnastics, and if she ever wanted to do it recreationally, I wouldn't be incredibly opposed.  What I'm really against, at least for us, is the hard-core competition gymnastics.  It truly wrecked my body, like you said! :)

This is how I feel about dance.  I would put my daughters in classical ballet for fun, but I would be hesitant to involve them in any pre-professional programs or in the competitive dance scene.  I'm just not comfortable with the influences it could have on my girls in terms of body image and otherwise.  It was not a healthy environment for me to grow up in.

• expatmama said:
    Since the theme is sports and gender related today...

While I hope my boys grow up to feel like they are loved and good enough as whoever they may be, I have to say your post really moved me.

I grew up in a family with a gay uncle who was diagnosed with HIV very early on. Our home became a safe haven to gay men in our area who needed a place to go for holidays or just a home cooked meal, because they were ill and not welcome at their own parents' homes anymore. 

It was a very difficult time, the illness was terrible, and most of the men I grew to know and love then, died horrible deaths. I was quite young at the time and it had an enormous impact on me. 

Looking back on it as an adult I am so amazed at my grandmother and my parents who welcomed  everyone with open arms at a time when there was so much stigma. My grandmother said she felt so blamed at the time, that her friends and family all thought the whole thing was her fault, because she was not a good mother, but she just knew this was her son and she loved him. She refused to be ashamed. 

The fact that there are now people out there who post what you just posted amazes me that so much has happened in a quarter of a decade. 

But my FFFC -- two days late--confession is that I was secretly happy when we had to duck out of a party early last night due to two fussy children. It meant we all actually managed to get a little bit of rest. 
    I'm glad you feel this way. It is amazing how much things have changed, but there's still a lot of work to do! I too grew up in a family with a gay uncle (and two gay aunts; my mom's got 13 siblings, it's a matter of simple statistics lol), so I don't bat an eye when I see a gay couple. I would love it if this was the general attitude of the world.

So when I say I kind of hope DS ends up gay, I mean that I think I would be a good mother to a gay son and it would help to "normalize" being gay. 

OK, getting off my soap box now. :)
  • Speaking of horses, I was going to chime in on the sports thing, too.

I did competitive hunter/jumpers for years to the exclusion of all other sports because I spent every evening and most weekends at the stable. It was wonderful, and I feel like it really helped shape me, made me responsible at an early age, etc.

But I don't want my girls to get into it, and the reason is that it is so expensive and such a huge time commitment. And it's dangerous, of course. I lucked out and despite many, many falls I only had to get stitches once, but I had plenty of friends who broke bones. I feel horrible because I should want them to have the same great experiences I had, but instead I want to guide them towards less expensive, "safe" sports (although now that I read all that you have written, I'm not sure exactly what is safe!! ;) )

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• kelly321 said:
    Speaking of horses, I was going to chime in on the sports thing, too.

I did competitive hunter/jumpers for years to the exclusion of all other sports because I spent every evening and most weekends at the stable. It was wonderful, and I feel like it really helped shape me, made me responsible at an early age, etc.

But I don't want my girls to get into it, and the reason is that it is so expensive and such a huge time commitment. And it's dangerous, of course. I lucked out and despite many, many falls I only had to get stitches once, but I had plenty of friends who broke bones. I feel horrible because I should want them to have the same great experiences I had, but instead I want to guide them towards less expensive, "safe" sports (although now that I read all that you have written, I'm not sure exactly what is safe!! ;) )

I had no clue you used to be so involved with horses. I have two right now, probably will be selling one in the spring, because honestly, I only have one butt. I really don't think my feelings will be hurt if my kid(s) want to be involved in it or not. I agree that I want them to find something that motivates them and keeps them out of trouble. For me, horses did the same as it did for you. I spent more time at the barn when I was a teen, therefore partied less. But I am opposite where I will be letting my LOs around horses. It's still part of my life so I can't imagine trying to explain to them why they can't do what I am doing.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had horses too, but only did trail riding and a little barrel racing. We live in the city now so we can't have horses now but we can't wait to move back into the country!

Lilypie - (2q9u)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"