TTC After a Loss
Options

Just had ectopic pregnancy...does any one have advice for trying again?

kandelionkandelion member
edited October 2013 in TTC After a Loss
My fiance and I found out we were pregnant at the end of September, and I bled from that day on for the entire pregnancy. At 7 weeks, we were told we miscarried. I had severe pain two days ago, and was admitted to the hospital to have the ectopic pregnancy removed at 10 weeks. My surgeon was amazed that no one, not the midwives nor the three doctors I saw, had seen that it was ectopic. He did a laprascopy (?) and D&C, and was able to save my tube. One of my ovaries, they found, is behind my uterus.

My question is...will I be able to have a normal pregnancy? Has anyone gone on, despite these problems, to have a healthy baby? I'd like someone to say that they've gone thru the same thing with success, because I'm feeling pretty hopeless.

Re: Just had ectopic pregnancy...does any one have advice for trying again?

• Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss, as PP has said PGAL is the place to ask this question.  I'd suggest posting a formal intro so that we can get to know you and reading the blog https://ttcalblog.wordpress.com so that you can get a feel for our community here.  
    Began trying for a baby January 2012
    BFP 4.25.2013  EDD 1.3.2014  MMC 6.3.2013  D&C 6.19.2013
    BFP 11.3.2013  CP 11.6.2013
    BFP 3.31.2014 EDD 12.10.2014 Baby boy Carlson born 12.19.2014 
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    *previous pregnancy/older child mentioned**

My first pregnancy was an ectopic. It's a definite plus that your doctor was able to save your tube! I actually got pregnant again with my son our first cycle trying after my ectopic (I was instructed to wait 2 cycles). We haven't been able to get pregnant again that quickly this time after my natural m/c, unfortunately. So yes, there is definitely hope! My OB's office let me come in for betas and an early u/s because I'd had the ectopic, as well, so I had some peace of mind. 

*hugs*  I'm very sorry you're going through this. Definitely take some time to heal. I know the recovery from the surgery can be a little rough (I think I had to take a week off of work). I do hope once you're ready to TTC again that all goes well. I remember with mine I was also bleeding/spotting from the start and not knowing any better I didn't really pursue answers (I just thought it was a miscarriage because of heavy bleeding and clots), but having been through it I know I'll be a lot more proactive with any pregnancies I have to ensure that it's not another ectopic.
  • Options
    I am so sorry for your loss.  Ectopics are scary business.  It is amazing that you were that far into it and they were able to save your tube.  I agree with pp's regarding asking this question on the PgAL board, you might get a better success story.  FWIW I have had two ectopic pregnancies and then was able to conceive a uterine pregnancy this past august, but it ended in a natural miscarriage in september, so not really a success. But I did feel encouraged that I was able to conceive and actually get it in the right spot this time.  However, your chances of a future ectopic pregnancy is much higher after you've had your first.  Wishing you the best of luck and praying you recover quickly.
    BabyFruit Ticker   image
    05/31/1997: Married DH - Began TTC right away | 08/2002: Diagnosed with PCOS, Endometriosis
    10/05/2005: Adpoted DS - Funniest boy ever!
    09/2007: Ectopic with rupture - lost right tube | 09/2012: Ectopic - saved the left tube
    08/05/2013: BFP not ectopic | EDD: 4/22/2014 | 09/15/2013: Miscarried at home
    Underwent Gastric Bypass 01/06/2014 to help with PCOS and weight.  Lost 186 lbs - had to TTA for 1 year
    Burned the bench 01/20/15 - Medicated Cycle with Clomid and HCG trigger shot on 02/08/2015
    ++++ BFP 2/17/18 ++++  EDD 10/26/2015
    "Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost." ~ Romans 15:13 
  • Options
    These are my pals at work. We have a huge party every year
    I wish It wasn't a hippa violation, or I would post all the amazing costumes our clients wore.
    Trying for our first since April 2011
    BFP 10/4/2012. Due 6/11/13. M/C 11/3/12
    Diagnosed Hypothyroidism 9/4/13
    BFP #2 11/11/13 Due 7/24/14

Today, I am pregnant.  Today, I am happy.
    Everyone welcome
  • Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. I had an 8 week ectopic loss in January, with a sirens-on ride in an ambulance to the city an hour away for the surgery. I'm surprised that your doctor was surprised that no one else caught it before, as ectopics can be notoriously tricky to pinpoint until they become emergent. Mine was never actually seen on any ultrasound, and I had many, it was only because of the high HCG levels, severe pain and lack of seeing anything in my uterus that they concluded it was ectopic, and it was not confirmed until they went in laparascopically. Unfortunately I lost my right tube, you're pretty lucky to still have yours after going so long without it being detected. Also unfortunately, I don't have any success to share with you, I'm still TTC going on 10 months since my loss.

imageimage

Married August 2012. Me: 41  DH: 42 
    Daughter from previous marriage: 20

BFP 12/19/12: Ectopic discovered at 8 weeks, right tube removed 01/18/13
    June 2013 Testing Results: Progesterone: 31.7, LH: 5, FSH: 5, Estradiol: 161
    Clomid cycles Nov. 2013 and Jan, Feb, and March 2014

TTC journey over as of the end of October 2014

TTCAL BLOG

All ALers welcome!

• Options

I'm sorry for your loss.

I had an ectopic that was discovered at 8 weeks. I had bleeding a week after my bfp and assumed I miscarried, but my hcg kept rising. It took three u/s before they found it in my left tube and sent me into surgery. They were able to save my tube as well.

No success story here. I just started cycle 5 of ttcal.

TTC since July 2012 
    BFP 5/22/13. Lap. to remove ectopic and dx with endo. 6/16/13

RE consult: June 2014

DX: FVL, endo, hypothyroidism, blocked left tube

Oct. 2014: First treatment cycle: Clomid+trigger+IUI=BFN

November 2014: Clomid+trigger+IUI again=BFP!

BFP 11/28/14 MC discovered 1/14/15

Blogging to stay sane

• Options
    *****pregnancy/child mentioned, not mine******** My SIL had an ectopic pregnancy with her first pregnancy. She waited a while (about a year because her husband was in Cuba) then got pregnant with her daughter who was born completely healthy. I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm glad they saved your tube.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP 08/14/13 EDD 04/18/14 Natural MC 08/19/13
    BFP 10/15/13 EDD 06/24/2014 Natural MC 10/23/13
    Recurrent Miscarriage Panel done 11/06/13. Results= All normal
    BFP 12/2/13 EDD July 30, 2014
    Beta 12/3/13: 19,261!
    U/S 12/13/13 heart rate 143 bpm!

My Blog
  • Options
    Thank you all, I really appreciate your responses. Sorry about not introducing myself and posting in the wrong forum, it's all these pain meds! I was stuck at home in bed recovering and thought I might hop on here to talk to women who'd been through the same thing, but my meds make me a little too loopy.

I'll check out PregAL and see what women there say. I'll probably be back, because Zan and I really want to have kids, and I think that as soon as I'm able and enough time has passed, we're gonna start trying again.

Thanks again!!

-Kandace
  • Options
    So sorry for your loss and welcome to the board! I had an EP in May that resulted in the loss of left tube. My Dr referred me to an RE, because I'm 36 years old and had a MMC in January and pretty much because why not? She said back in the old days, I would have been told to wait 2 months and try again, but now that there has been so many improvements in the medical world, it may be worth being proactive and get a consult. Nothing really came out of that-had a bunch of blood work and HSG done that all came back normal aside from low AMH (which i to be expected at my age). We were given the green light to try on own for 6 months and if no success, to return. No success yet. Lots of luck to you!

~ES~

~*~EVERYONE always welcome!!~*~
    TTC #1 since October 2012
    BFP #1 11/22/12 EDD 7/29/13 MMC 1/14/13, D&C 1/16/13
    BFP #2 5/7/13 EDD 1/14/2014 Ectopic discovered 5/21/13, lost left tube
    Referred to RE, blood work done August 2013, AMH 0.27, all else normal, HSG clear
    BFP #3 12/1/13 EDD 8/8/14, MC 12/24/13
    January 2014: RE #2, blood work repeated, homozygous MTHFR c677t, SHG clear
    BFP #4 4/7/14 EDD 12/15/14 Our rainbow was born 12/6/14 at 4:26pm! <3 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"