August 2013 Moms
Options

WWYD daycare

So I have LO all set to start at an in home daycare next week. I like that this lady only has 1 other baby (15 mo) and would only consider taking 1 more in addition to my LO...most licensed in home providers have 6-8 kids here. We will need full time care for LO with me going back to work.

My dilemma: my mom is coming to stay with us for the entire month of dec. dh will be gone for most of the first 2 weeks for work so she is helping me then and will stay through Christmas since daycare is closed the week between Christmas and New Years. To hold our spot we will still have to pay the weekly fee of $250 for the entire month even though she won't be going to daycare. We're talking about $1000 here.

So wwyd? Pay it so we keep the spot / drop out and either hope the spot is still there or be prepared to find another care provider in January? Maybe talk to the lady and see if we can work out a reduced payment?
it's a lot of money to pay for a service that isn't being used. But I also don't want to be sol in January and not be able to find another place I like. Ugh.

Re: WWYD daycare

• Options
    I would definitely ask if you pay a reduced rate, at the very least. I know that the daycare facility I'm taking LO to charges 50% of the weekly rate if you don't use it at all that week, so I would explain that that is typical. Hopefully she will be understanding, that is a lot of money for not even using her that month!
  • Options
    I'm going to try to talk to her about it but I'm doubting she'll go for it. Part of our contract stated we are responsible for paying even when we're on vacation. It's a pretty common thing in my area. I get it...she is running a business and could potentially fill that spot with someone else...but a month is a bit longer than the standard vacation.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How likely is it that the spot will be filled during the month? 

My friend just went through this same thing.  Her fiance works in construction and gets "laid off" for a month and a half in the winter.  The daycare wouldn't let her stop paying for that month and a half.  So they ended up pulling their daughter out of the daycare for the time he was laid off.  When she went to go back, her spot was still open but she had raised her prices.  If she had continued to pay, she would have been grandfathered in and wouldn't have to pay the higher price, but since she pulled her out and reapplied to get in, she had to pay the higher price, and over the period of the year, it would have been cheaper for them to continue to pay for the time he was off then it was for them to pay the higher rate. 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I'd pay as well. DC here is hard to find and I would hate to lose my spot. I work some weekends and get weekdays off and I will end up paying for A LOT of days when she's not there. Just a part of the DC business.

Not to jack this thread, but @kristykay123, I'm happy to see you back here. I follow your blog :)

image  image 

BFP #1 11/26/2012, EDD 8/7/2013, Elise Anne born 8/1/2013
    BFP #2 8/21/2014, EDD 4/11/2015, M/C 9w5d, D&C 9/17/2014
  • Options
    I wouldn't pay that. I get the vacation thing, but it's longer than a vacation.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    alexkylee said:
    I'd pay as well. DC here is hard to find and I would hate to lose my spot. I work some weekends and get weekdays off and I will end up paying for A LOT of days when she's not there. Just a part of the DC business. Not to jack this thread, but @kristykay123, I'm happy to see you back here. I follow your blog :)
    HEYYYOOOO!  lol thanks!  I suck at updating...andplusalso, I got a lot of unsolicited advice after my acid reflux post.  rawr.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'd pay for the same reasons listed above. I'd also like knowing I had the back up in case mom got sick, wanted a break, etc. It may not happen, but you never know. I'd mostly be afraid of losing the spot. But there aren't a ton of openings for infants near us, so if there was a more open market near me, I might be less worried.

• Options
    @alexkylee @sarahinmd I'm also in the DC/Baltimore area so the ability to find another *good* spot is what concerns me.
    I know I'm going to try to talk to her about a reduced rate and will probably end up paying the full rate if she says no. Just wanted to see if there were any other perspectives on this anyone could offer.
    I've also considered it being a good backup for giving my mom a break...and also keeping LO accustomed to daycare.
  • Options
    I would pay, but I also would send my baby daily, even if it were part-time. That way, I'm not just paying for the baby to sit at home.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• Options
    If it is someone you can trust, who LO likes and feels safe with, I don't think you could put a price on it. I would maybe asked for a slightly reduced rate, but if she said no just drop it.

Do you have someone you could refer to her? That might make her happy - if you say you had a friend who may be calling?

• Options
    We had a similar thing with our nanny... While I was on leave, we really didn't "need" her. However, she needs the income, and we wouldn't have been able to get her back, I don't think, once I had to work. Better safe then sorry, IMO...
  • Options
    I would use the time to ease into daycare and both of you get used to the provider, plus give your mom some time off.  I would send LO to daycare either Tues and Thurs or half days everyday or some other part time arrangement.  It would give the daycare provider and you time to get to know each other a little better and work out the kinks without so much stress.  Might really be the best of both worlds since you already have to pay for it.
  • Options
    Mine would have me pay As well to hold their spot. The only time I don't need to pay and have my spot held is over the summer.
  • Options
    If you really like the provider I say pay it. If your luck is like mine the space will fill and you will be sol. I like the idea of maybe dropping her a half day here and there if you are paying. You can get some errands done and have a little you time.
  • Options
    Not sure if I would pay or not because I don't use daycare and am not sure what is generally accepted, but do you also have to pay for the week that it is closed? Or can you ask to not pay that week? Paying for 3 weeks seems a lot better than 4 if LO won't be going at all...
    Pregnancy TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @ktbear9512 you're right, I don't have to pay for the week she is closed. So its $750 out of pocket…thats still a lot. I've thought about it quite a bit today and I don't think I really have a good option but to pay and hold my spot. I would hate to not have care lined up come January. 
    I'll probably work out a part time schedule to take her in. That way LO stays accustomed to daycare, my mom gets time with lo and time to herself and we still have a good spot come January.

Thanks for all the input ladies. Sometimes you just need to hear what you are already thinking.
  • Options
    Is there any chance your mom might enjoy a few days throughout the month to get errands done/Xmas shopping? Some previous posts mentioned using her once in a while, maybe you still send your LO 2/week. Then you don't feel like your throwing money away. DC where I live is also very hard to find especially for infants. So I say keep your spot and save yourselves the hassle & worry of having to potentially find a new place. Goodluck!
  • Options
    Yes, pay it. Our family watching LO option fell though, and DUDE, it is easier to get into Harvard than a good daycare. I found one (that I'm on the waiting list for) that would have its soonest opening in August. One I chose not to wait for had a TWO YEAR WAIT.

Just pay it, enjoy the practice time, and keep your spot! If not, I'll take it ;)
    Married DH <3 : 7/7/12; 3 fur babies (2 dogs and 1 cat)
    DS born 9/3/13; DD born 7/22/15; LO due 5/28/18
    FS (age 5) and FD (age 2) to become AS/AD very soon!

• Options
    Welcome to the world of daycare!  I know people who only need it during the school year and not so much during 2 months over the summer but still pay the full amount to hold their spot.  Think about it from the provider's perspective.  You want to pay a reduced rate to hold the spot, so technically she's getting paid partially for a spot she could fill and get paid full pay for.  I say you suck it up and pay it.  You may actually find that you still take her in for a day or two, wouldn't it be nice to have that option?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"