December 2013 Moms
Options

Hypnobabies... can't stay awake

Anyone else doing the hypnobabies home course? I'm only on week two but I cannot seem to stay awake through any of the tracks. Either that's good cause its working or it's a load of crap - haven't decided yet :)

Re: Hypnobabies... can't stay awake

• Options
    I'd say that's a good sign! I'm not doing the actual course, but bought the Hypnobirthing book and CD. Means you are definitely getting into that relaxed zone!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    F47F47 member
    I'm doing Hypnobirthing - did a 6 week class and I've been listening to the tracks for a few months. I still can't stay awake through an entire relaxation session. Don't ask me to relax my body, get comfortable and close my eyes. That is, unless you want me going to sleep.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm positive it says it's okay if you fall asleep, doesn't it?

It does but I thought I read in the book that you are supposed to try to stay awake at least once for each track. If nothing else it sure is a relaxing course :)
  • Options

I was once like you! Here is my advice.

Sit up to listen at least once like on your birthing ball or on the couch or something.

If that still makes you fall asleep, listen to it once without doing the finger drop technique and skipping the first 10 minutes of her being like blah blah blah.

Do you have the tendency to wake up 10-20 minutes after it's over? Because then you may not be fully asleep

I'll def take your advice - thanks!! I usually wake up about halfway through the next track trying to figure out what just happened. I can never make it past her creepy whispering countdown and then feel like I missed everything they teach you. Does the finger drop technique work for you now?
  • Options

haha well sometimes.  this is sort of random, but sometimes I get REALLY itchy when i'm supposed to be in hypnosis. 

Haha- MUST be a sign it's working :)
  • Options
    Ahh I was just talking about how bad I think it is bc I always fall asleep! I woke up screaming the other night lol. I am not sure how well it will work for me but I am going to keep doing it. I am hoping it will work when hints get tough. And I actually like the pregnancy affirmations! I never do the finger drop thing though..

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm joining the sleepy club! Lucky I read this post- I've been feeling so bad that I fall asleep everytime I listen to it. My DH got me expensive hypnobirthing cd package and keeps asking how I am getting on. I tell him it's extremely relaxing......well, I'm not lying!
  • Options
    Yes! That's totally normal.  Went I did the homestudy course, I was worried I was falling asleep. But I kept on doing everything I was supposed to. I had a wonderful, comfortable birth for my third baby. So much better compared to my first two. It was amazing.  Then a while later, I had a session with a hypnotherapist and she commented how easily and deeply I went into hypnosis. I totally think that what you're feeling is awesome sign. You are probably also one of those that goes into hypnosis easily and deeply. That's perfect!  
  • Options
    Hi ladies!
    I am a Hypno-mom here to give you some encouragement! I used Hypnobabies with my first birth, and am currently preg with my second and doing it again!  I "fell asleep" ALL THE TIME when I was doing the Hypnobabies home-study course with my first pregnancy. Sometimes I would come back right as the track was ending (counting up to 3) and I was more convinced I wasn't actually asleep but in hypnosis when that happened.   But still, most of the time I would wake up knowing I was asleep. (One thing to keep in mind about this....Hypnobabies CD's teach moms to go into the deepest level possible. Same depth that people have surgery at with no medical anesthesia. Is it really that surprising if we feel like we are asleep??)
    But I still did the course like it instructed. Practiced my finger drop technique daily, eyes open childbirth hypnosis daily, pregnancy affirmations daily, and did the maintenance schedule like it instructed. As i neared my guess date, I did try to listen to the CD's more at a time when I wouldn't fall asleep, and sometimes still would. My birth as a first time mom was AMAZING!!! I had a home-birth that lasted only 7.5hours, and I was so comfortable the entire time! No pain for me, just a little bit of pressure like Hypnobabies had programed me to feel. It was so so amazing!! So here I am, about 10 weeks away from giving birth again! And I can't wait to give birth! (something I never knew someone could look forward to).  Still in this pregnancy I "fall asleep"/or go deeply into hypnosis almost all the time with the CD's but I think that is just how I respond to hypnosis. And I am very confident that this birth will be even better than my first! Good job mamas for choosing the best Hypnosis for birth program out there! Keep practicing, and doing it all just how it instructs!
  • Options

Yes! That's totally normal.  Went I did the homestudy course, I was worried I was falling asleep. But I kept on doing everything I was supposed to. I had a wonderful, comfortable birth for my third baby. So much better compared to my first two. It was amazing.  Then a while later, I had a session with a hypnotherapist and she commented how easily and deeply I went into hypnosis. I totally think that what you're feeling is awesome sign. You are probably also one of those that goes into hypnosis easily and deeply. That's perfect!  

That gives me a lot more confidence that it's working!
  • Options
    Hypno-mom here. I am also a doula :) It is normal and common to feel as if you have fallen asleep. I think I "slept through" MOST of my Hypnobabies practice. I used it for 2 births and it absolutely worked for me! The itchy thing is also really common. Basically, when you have shut off all of the things you have control over, the things you don't become more noticeable (like the itching) so yes, it actually can be a good sign that you are doing it right! ;) If you want to know what is on the track, you can listen to it some time when you are awake, busy doing something else around the house and listen to it consciously, but really, falling asleep is totally fine. You'll get it! Have fun! 
    I teach Hypnobabies classes in Utah, I am also a secondary education sign language teacher. When I am not teaching something, I am being taught the ways of the world by my two blessings.
  • Options
    I've done Hypnobabies home study twice and I fell asleep a lot, too. If you are "waking up" on the count-up, you are not actually asleep, but in a state of hypnotic amnesia, which is a deep state of hypnosis where the conscious mind completely checks out. I still think it's a good idea to listen through each track at least once so you know what is on it. You could skip through the induction, intro part and just listen so you hear all the messages. Most people also do their tracks around bedtime, so if it's possible you might try listening in the morning when you are less likely to fall asleep. Also listening on the birth ball is a great idea - not only are you more likely to stay awake, but you are able to practice being in your deep state of hypnosis in an upright position which is what you'll want during your birthing time. Hope this helps! Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"