Multiples

Exlusive pumping

I have been exclusively pumping for my twins for just over a week now. Because of a lack of weight gain i needed to be able to measure their intake. So far I've been pumping every two hours and every three at night. I tried to talk with the lactation consultant at my pedis office but i was VERY unhappy with her. And she gave me no guidelines for pumping. I have a medela pump in style and i am making enough that i don't have to supplement until night time. So here's the question. I know others who pump exclusively and they pump every 3 hours and every 4 at night but im wondering if thats sufficient for twins? If i need to keep pumping very 2 hours i will but my boobs are very sore and bruised from all the pumping and i have an 18 month old who isn't getting much attention these days. Plus It seems like i get more if im late for a pump. So would it just even out? Btw i scheduled an appt for another lactation consultant but she's not available until later next week and im worn out with doing this for only a week

Re: Exlusive pumping

• I'm still pregnant with mine, but I found this article a few weeks ago that I thought was really informative/helpful. I hope it helps!
    https://happyhomefairy.com/2013/06/07/extreme-pumping-tips-and-tricks/
  • My boys are 8 weeks old and did some NICU time so I understand needing to know how much they take. I started bfing just once a day and offering bottles after. Now mine are big enough that I can bf more but I still just do a few times a day.

The LCs in the NICU had me pumping at least 8 times a day to establish supply. At least one time at night. I could have one five hour break at night. You may want to think about renting a hospital grade pump for a month while you establish your supply.

I think pumping frequently early on really helped to establish my supply but I was told to pump no more than 10 times in 24 hrs. I have never had to supplement and have built a freezer stash. The breastfeeding board is a good resource too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I am also trying to figure out pumping. Here is some of the advice I've gotten from a couple LCs and pediatricians. Pump every three hours. You can go a little longer at night. Pump until no more milk comes out, then stay on the pump for five more minutes. Massage your breasts lightly - just sweeping motions to the middle (I actually hurt myself being too aggressive). Think of your babies or look at pictures of them - that'll help your body make milk too. Or hold one of them - bonus if skin to skin. Eat oatmeal (btw - 4 oatmeal cookies = 1 bowl of oatmeal). Drink non alcoholic beer. Relax (easier said than done) - it's hard to make enough milk for twins.

I had to supplement btwn weeks one and two. My milk production has really increased this week and I have not been terribly disciplined with doing every three hours. It's just hard to find time to pump after feeding two babies.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Eta - there's a breastfeeding advice thread on the Oct 2013 birth month board. Lots of helpful advice and super helpful if you post your questions!
  • I exclusively pumped for my twins for the first 3 months (one of mine was in the NICU for feeding issues for 14 days and never would latch properly). It's hard work and exhausting. I fed the babies every 3 hours and would pump as soon as I got them back to sleep (8 pumps a day). I also recommend using a hospital grade pump and eating lots of oatmeal/drinking tons of water. Good luck!!
    photo image-3.jpg Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I did 8x a day, dropped to 7 when they were about 3 months old and progressively dropped a session whenever I felt super overwhelmed. However I was producing enough to bank in the freezer before I did that. Drink a ton of water (I drank 200 oz a day), try fenugreek and mother's milk tea, and pump closer together during the day and try to get a stretch of sleep at night which will also help. And don't stress too much, do your best and a little formula isn't a big deal in the long run. Take care of yourself!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"