August 2013 Moms
Options

Bottle feeding / timing and amount

LO is 2 and a half months old now and has been taking a bottle during the day while I am at work for the last 3 weeks. He has started consistently going 5-6 hours at night between feedings. During the day lately he has been waiting longer and longer to eat and when my mom tries to feed him because it's been 4 hours since the last feeding he flips! So he is spreading out his feedings but still will only take about 3.5 oz and stop. I feel like he should take more at each feeding if he is spreading them out further? Am I over thinking this? I guess we will find out at the next drs appt if he is gaining appropriately. Just curious if any of your LOs did/are doing the same thing or if you had any advice from your dr or STM about how much and how often is normal. So far I have been just taking his cues and that is working but I was thinking he should be eating more since he isn't eating as often. Plus I would love to take my pumping down to 2 times a day at work instead of 3 which is what I am doing now. TIA!

Re: Bottle feeding / timing and amount

• Options
    Keep going with feeding on demand. He might have a cold (that isn't presenting any symptoms) and just not eating as much. I think if it lasts too long, you should call your pedi.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Are you nursing at home? I've read some babies can 'hold out' for nighttime feedings with mom and will drink less during the day.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LokiLahve said:

Are you nursing at home? I've read some babies can 'hold out' for nighttime feedings with mom and will drink less during the day.

Oh god. This makes me so sad to think of H doing this when I go back next week.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • Options
    Oh god. This makes me so sad to think of H doing this when I go back next week.
    I know...I try not to think about it. S takes bottles fine right now from dh or myself...I hope that continues after she starts daycare. From what I remember the arctics didn't make it out like a bad thing. I'll see if I can find it and post the link.
  • Options
    Yes I feed at night and first thing in the morning. I was wondering if that happens! For example he ate at 9 ... By noon that was 3 hours and his usual hungry time when he is with me so my mom tried to feed him and he lost it. So she rocked him for about 15 min and he feel asleep for an hour and then took a bottle no problem when he woke up at 1:15?? It's like it just pisses him off if he isn't hungry. But with me hungry or not he loves and will always take the boob?? Pumping and bottle feeding a breast fed baby have so far been the hardest thing!!! Well and the whole no sleeping thing but I'm adjusted to that! Ha
  • Options
  • Options
    And here is the perspective from Kelly mom
  • Options
    Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"